• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re-interating what Steve Mazza said...

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

The problem is, there are a lot of things here that don't apply well to college sports.

A coach can't (without breaking rules) go to a top recruits home and force him to sign with USF if it has been that persons life long dream to play for Notre Dame (or whomever.).

We have to take whoever is willing to commit to us and sometimes (well most time so far) that hasn't been top talent.

Hell, one year we even had to settle for a guy named Terry Lucas!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

We currently have bumbling programs in men's tennis, baseball, volleyball, and men's basketball. Is there a plan?

I wouldn't lump Men's Tennis into that group. They may be having a down year this year, but they are consistenly a good program. I would take Men's Tennis out of that group and put Women's Soccer on it.

I think we will see what the long range plan Woolard has for Athletics after the baseball season concludes. If Coach Cardieri is let go, then it will serve notice to the other coaches that their teams had better step up, and quickly.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Donate and you'll learn his vision- he spells it out in his letters, and the Presidents Circle letter.  The Iron Bull is one of Doug's visions that he's brought to fruition.

Woolard's spoken on many occasions about his vision I am sorry some of you weren't in attendance to hear it.

Maybe he'll start posting to placate all those that need some soothing.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

S Bien... I donate what is affordable to me at the present time, plus I make numerous trips as a paying fan to see true "road" games from myu location in Arizona. Obviously, we'd all like to give more, but you can only do so much. Some people give $2,000 or more for their annual donation... I had over $2,000 in flights just to the football games I went to. Is it comparable? Maybe not... but the end result is still time spent supporting the Bulls. Maybe a letter from the AD's office like all the alum letters I receive would keep us on the West Coast more informed... we do care out here. I can't wait until I make enough money to throwup a billboard out here hoping to lure future recruits to USF.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

S Bien... I donate what is affordable to me at the present time, plus I make numerous trips as a paying fan to see true "road" games from myu location in Arizona. Obviously, we'd all like to give more, but you can only do so much. Some people give $2,000 or more for their annual donation... I had over $2,000 in flights just to the football games I went to. Is it comparable? Maybe not... but the end result is still time spent supporting the Bulls. Maybe a letter from the AD's office like all the alum letters I receive would keep us on the West Coast more informed... we do care out here. I can't wait until I make enough money to throwup a billboard out here hoping to lure future recruits to USF.

Well a "results" oriented guy like you should make more money. The Alumni sends out a magazine to all people who pay their Alumni dues and they usaully have info about the AD. Season ticket holders also get a letter from Woolard about 4 times a year. Maybe someone can post the letter on here for you. The guy has only been here 2 years and has done a lot IMO. He is very approachable also. He came up to me at the Rutgers game and introduced himself and answered all the questions I had directly and to the point. I am waiting to see what happens after this year in the BE myself.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

nuke's right on.  No offense Sheriff, but the University does everything in their **** power to reach out to alumni, I imagine you must get those, what seems like hourly, e-mails from the University, Athletic Department, Judy Genshaft, and Woolard.

Nuke's also right about season ticket holders getting messages,  and Doug's one of the most approachable people you'll meet.  The guy never seems to forget a name and face.  Doug's spread out the Meet the Bulls Meeting from just the Tampa Bay Area to Atlanta, South Florida, and Jacksonville.

Here's an idea Sheriff, form an alumni organization out in Arizona.  Then invite Doug for a guest speaker if you don't think the West Coast is being recognized enough.  I bet he'd come if you could organize more than a few dozen.

The point being here is that Doug, and Genshaft have excellent visions, excellent plans, and they're doing a wonderful job of implimenting them.  I have a tough time reading a few people on these boards who do minimal to no donating criticizing the man without any facts, or information.

I won't get into it with smazza, because I've got the word on him.  Not even worth wasting my breath, but to you Sheriff I just want to say keep the faith.  Many of us in the Tampa Bay Area are familiar with Doug and can promise you he's a real gem.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  57

For what it is worth, here's my 2 cents:

I am a donor (Scholar Bull) and live in the Tampa Bay area.  I'd consider myself a pretty active Bulls fan, but like most others, the career / family stuff comes first.  In addition, I am a season ticket holder and attend almost all home football / basketball games and have been following the Bulls athletics since 87.

To the point of AD Woolard's vision, it would seem this is a public perception issue.  IMO, MikeG accurately points out that just b/c an alum isn't aware of something, doesn't mean they can thereby deduce that it does not exist.  From my perspective, the level of communication from USF's Athletic Department has increased dramatically since DW took over.  It hasn't happened over night, but I now receive letters and e-mails on a consistent basis that help to keep me connected to the department.  In addition, the opportunities exist for me to obtain additional information should I choose to make the effort (I realize they are limited for those not in the local area).

I couldn't tell you point by point what the vision is, but IMO there are numerous tangible, substantive signs that the Athletic Department is making significant and positive steps forward.  Others certainly have different opinions, but it seems to me that an objective observer would conclude that the Athletic Department is acting on plans for the future driven by a well thought-out strategy.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

"Many of us in the Tampa Bay Area are familiar with Doug and can promise you he's a real gem. "

YOUR PROMISES MEAN LITTLE

IT IS ABOUT PERFORMANCE AND WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS

WHEN WILL USF SEE RESULTS?

MORE FALSE HOPE AND PROMISES!!!

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Nukebull... I still haven't been out of school for a full two years... so yes, I understand I need to make more money being a "results" oriented individual. If you would like to compare end of year tax statements though come 2008 after I get relocated back to the East coast, I'm sure you'll retract your comment. If you grossed over 80K in your second year out of undergrad, my hat is off to you and I'll shut up. But that's what my quarterly numbers are pointing to... and I'd say that is pretty good for someone trying to establish themselves. Why do I say 2008... I get my own branch office in late 2007, and with the extra long hours comes the extra zero on the end of the paycheck. It's not Donald Trump money, but it will be enough for me to donate signifcantly to USF.

SBien... we tried getting an alumni chapter out here last year, but the interest was next to none (go figure) from our alum around here. Tonight, I'm meeting with the NY alumni chapter founder and I'm going to pick his brain to see what we can do to get better results from our first unsuccessful attempt. I have been corresponding with USF about a chapter out here. In due time, it will happen. Rome wasn't built overnight... as much as I would like to do this overnight.

The Sheriff

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Hmmm. Careful, dont admit you tried to start a chapter and failed. Smazza would suggest you be fired.

SBien... we tried getting an alumni chapter out here last year, but the interest was next to none (go figure) from our alum around here. Tonight, I'm meeting with the NY alumni chapter founder and I'm going to pick his brain to see what we can do to get better results from our first unsuccessful attempt. I have been corresponding with USF about a chapter out here. In due time, it will happen. Rome wasn't built overnight... as much as I would like to do this overnight.

The Sheriff