• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Frank Harry leaves team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

because of homesickness ??? ??? ??? Overrated bust!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

From Greg's blog

Homesick Harry done with Bulls

here's the top to Wednesday's weekly notes ... I'll post the rest in the morning. Starting to understand more of why Leavitt generally sticks to recruiting Florida.

TAMPA -- Defensive tackle Frank Harry, one of the most highly touted members of USF's recruiting class, has left the Bulls after only a week of practice.

Harry, who enrolled at USF in January after two years at Pearl River Community College in Mississippi, left the team after Thursday's practice, and coach Jim Leavitt said it was because the junior was "homesick."

"I have no idea,'' Leavitt said when asked when or if Harry might return. "If he wants to play here, it'd be great to have him."

But Harry's coach at Varnado High in Angie, La., said Tuesday night that Harry won't be playing for the Bulls and will transfer closer to home this summer.

"He's leaving,'' coach Paul Meyerchick said. "He said things weren't clicking down there. He'll stay in school the rest of the semester, but he said it was just too far from home. That means a lot to country boys like Frank, but it's a shame things didn't work out."

Harry, rated as a four-star prospect by Scout.com, is the second loss on the defensive line in the past week, following reserve Eric Thomas, who opted to become a student assistant after battling a lingering knee injury.

Leavitt also said that senior Thed Watson, expected to be the team's starting left tackle, suffered a hairline fracture to his hand during drills Monday. Leavitt didn't know whether Watson would return during spring practice but said he knows what Watson can do for the Bulls this fall. Redshirt freshman Danny Tolley of Wesley Chapel lined up as the first-team left tackle during Tuesday's practice.

http://www.sptimes.com/blogs/usf/

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

How could someone squander an opportunity like that? Maybe I'm just having problems emphathizing with Harry, but when I was homesick my freshmen year at USF, I just sucked it up and continued. I was considering transferring to FIU or UM (and was leaning towards "the U") because of my homesickness. Luckily, I didn't because USF really wound up growing on me, and I'd be in debt up to my eyeballs if I would have gone to UM.

This kid was pretty highly touted. Anyone know how big of an impact this will have on our d-line?

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

Frank is being a puss. Just suck it up and get through practices. Be a man.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

losing him has to hurt... but U guys will be strong on defense with or without him.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

this is a huge loss. This guy was a big part of our recruiting class. If he's not mentally tough enough to get over homesickness, how's he going to handle the pressures involved with football?

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Just goes to show size is not an indication of heart.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

Did Stirrups end up qualifying?

You guys should be ok at the DL this year even without Harry.  That is very odd to leave suddenly because he was home sick.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76

word was he was getting outplayed by the other dt's and he wasn't having much success against our o-line. probably added to his "homesickness." it's a huge step up in competition from juco, i'm not sure if he was completely ready, he definitely wasn't going to start immediately based on his spring practice performance so far. his loss plus et retiring does leave us a bit thin on the interior line.

Guest Sprtsfn627

I dunno man...I'm worried about our lines.  We lost some good starters on both sides.  Got some good replacements too (Josh Julmiste, etc), but I'm still worried.