• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pitt game on Labor day?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,832
  • Days Won:  22

It seems that the odds are good that the game will be moved to monday for espn.

[ftp]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04102/299357.stm[/ftp]

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  80
  • Days Won:  0

I've been reading about this for a while now and my question is why would the coaching staffs want to move this game (Money is not the answer from a coaching perspective)?

We have Tennessee Tech 5 days later and Pitt has Ohio. Granted these aren't the most formidable foes on our respective schedules, but certainly moveing the game will affect preparation.

Besides, we already moved this game to accomodate Pitt's scheduling needs.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,767
  • Days Won:  3

So I can get me some tube time! Yes indeed sportsfans, if this is the college game on ESPN, no reason not to do it!

Exactly how do you figure it's not about money?

We don't put games on TV for altruistic reasons.

It is - and will always be - ... all about the Benjamins. 8)

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

As someone said in an earlier post, it is about exposure as much or more so than it is about money.

We need as much exposure as we can get if we hope to land another recruiting class as we did this year before heading into the Big East in 2005.  

With enough exposure as well as the Big East carrot to dangle in front of prospective recruits maybe next year will be the year we finally land that blue chip QB we can build around.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Especially exposure on ESPN with a packed house in RJS.  Im actually hoping for this to happen since I have to be out of town for the 4th and 5th but could be back if the game is on Labor day.  

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

I'm hoping this is the game they finally open the upper deck.  Opening day,  biggest home game in history!!  That would look great on ESPN!!!

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,518
  • Days Won:  10

If there was a team to play 5 days later on our schedule, it would be Tenn Tech.  My only beef with Monday is if we were scheduled at the same time as Miami/F$U.

Take the TV, the exposure and the money.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

... and exposure for those Fans that don't come to games ... this can only help draw them IN ... IMO.

Regarding the upper deck ... when individual tix go on sale, they would need to be sold within weeks and many calls to the ticket office to warrant this IMO ... wonder how many tix Pitt will take ?

Regarding Sell-Outs ... wonder if we can use this as a barganning chip with the Glasers with "a community stadium" to split the extra concessions. The money to open the upper deck may not be worthwhile.

One thing for sure ... we will need season tix to get over 25K and big attendance from students to open this up.

Guest wildrover

What kind of effect will this have on attendance?  Just going by last season, everytime we moved something for ESPN it hurt the draw, I'd rather have the packed house on a Saturday than a half empty tv game on Monday, is there any reason to think the move will hurt or help attendance?

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

If the game does move it will be played sometime in the afternoon. Why?    ESPN is owned by the same company that owns ABC, televising FSU-UM, and would not put the games on competing against one another on a holiday. They will have us play during the day so that they can make the most $ out of commercials on both of the networks.  When you are the only game being played at that time on the opening weekend of football people are going to watch no matter whose playing.  

I really don't like weekday games, but at this point in time we need the money and the exposure.  Recruits will definitely notice us if we are the only game on at that time of the day and we beat Pitt.