• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Game updates?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

Hall won't here until the Fall and att. was very week , maybe 1K  :'(

will hall be here for august practices?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Attendance was very dismal, I don't think USF did a very good job of advertising the game.  As others have mentioned the Offense was offensive,  but, wow the defense looked very good, lots of speed and swarming to the ball.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365

Attendance stunk, offense stunk,  need I say anymore.  Great to meet some of the bullbackers (only good thing).  Granted when you break up the offense you will have some problems- no cohesiveness.  Running game could not get going for either side.  Passing game was stopped by all the dropped passes. Play calling (again) was terrible.  On 3rd and 15 we ran a quick out.  Sarosi was out and didn't play, looks like Herron broke his collar bone. People - we need something done on offense.  Maybe it is the players, maybe it is the coaching, however it is something and if Leavitt expects to win he needs to fix it.  What I saw today looks like a 6 and 6 team.  Hate to be so pessimistic however defense can't win games they can only prevent the other team from winning.  If you can't score points you will lose.  I hope that I am wrong and just venting, however I think I bought more beers then both teams had 1st downs.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

so do we offer Rascati a scholarship now?

very dissapointed to hear that the offense looks like last year.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Remember the 1s and 2s are all mixed up. It's difficult to judge a team by the spring game. The key is did we get some good looks at key people on film.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  23

Punting, granted there was no rush, but Baker had 'em booming and Mullins punted a few times in the 4th. Gramatica missed a 47 FG and xtra point  :P

It was not Mullins punting, it was a walk on punter named Peters. Mullins was playing safety for the white team.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Assuming that the spring game is a measure of what we can expect this fall, this could be a long - albeit not necessarily losing - season for the Bulls. I did not see any QB performance that really stood out as a relief from what we endured last year.

As for attendance, I would attribute that to two things: 1] Easter weekend and 2] poor marketing on this side of the spit. While I appreciate the Times effort to sponsor the game, I don't think I saw anything in the Trib, nor did I hear anything on the radio this week.

The tailgate went well...got to put some names and faces together, and thanks to everyone who showed up and made it a good time. This was a good practice run for the fall! I would assume "Pulitzer" will be floating some shots our way soon...sidelining it with J.R. Reed & Huey Whittaker. 8)

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479

Also remember the Bulls were going up against game two of the playoffs with the Lightning. I know about 5 people who didn't go to the spring game cuz of the Lightning.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I suppose the question is whether our offense was really that bad or was it our defense that made them look that way.  I'm sure the defense was a major factor in the problems the offense had moving the ball, but all of the dropped passes can be blamed on 'footsteps'.  

Another factor to consider is that the QBs were considered down when touched.  And let me say that the whistles were quick!  As a result, the QBs were forced to make up a ton of yardage due to 'sacks' that could have been easily not been in a real game.

Also, punts were not returned, so the advantage was definately to the team kicking the ball.  As alluded to above, the punts were long and high for the most part, but a few were very returnable and would have set the offense up much better.

Just in case it wasn't mentioned anywhere, the offense was still no-huddle.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  869

This was the first Spring Game I made it to, attendance was less than I expected.  My best guess would be between 1k-2k.  It was warmer then I expected, a real cooker.

I had just paypal'd 25.00 to Bull Backers last night, hope to meet all those folks in the fall.

The good side of today was that the guests I brought over from Orlando had a great time and they were able to lock in seats today.   I didn't expect them to throw down on tickets but, they were sold on bulls football as soon as they got into the stadium.

Game play would be consistent with scrimmage type of stuff.  No clear QB candidate yet IMHO.  I met with some of the players outside afterwards by the buses and everybody looked wiped.  All the players had six packs of sodas and even Coach Leavitt had three pepsis with him.  

The new OT and DLs are getting bigger - a good thing.  Managed to get Brant, Fisher, McBee and DE Coach Rachel to sign the USF flag I brought.  Got our La Teresita fix before getting back on the I-4 traffic jam, it has to hold us Orlando folks til September.