• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Spring Game updates?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

I hope it isn't that serious ... also, did I see T. Jones go off the field with what looked like a sepearated shoulder ?

:P

A portion of the trib article on the game says it's not serious:

LB Devon Davis (right shoulder), Kobel (left knee) and Jones (right shoulder) were injured Saturday, but none are considered serious. Jones, a senior, said he and the coaches are deciding whether to redshirt him this fall. ...

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGAHOBLHWSD.html

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

We still have a lot of work to do on offense. Hopefully we can pull it together. Had to find the aloe tonight as the Reaper got toasted...in more was than one!!! ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Spring Game Showing Impresses Leavitt

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Apr 11, 2004

TAMPA - When asked to compare his team this spring to last year's team, South Florida coach Jim Leavitt didn't hesitate.

``We're better,'' Leavitt said Saturday. ``Will we be a better team next year than this past year? I don't know that. But we're better at this point. We have a lot more weapons and playmakers on offense and defense. We have pretty good speed on the field.''

The defenses dominated USF's Green and White spring game, won by the Green 10-6. (Game summary, Page 13).

Senior Brian Fisher, mainly a wide receiver last year, was easily the afternoon's top offensive performer. Used exclusively at running back, Fisher carried 14 times for 95 yards, including a 40-yard touchdown for the Green team.

Leavitt said Fisher, who also started a game last year at quarterback, likely would be used this fall at wide receiver, but proved he can play running back if needed.

``We just need to get him the ball,'' Leavitt said.

Fisher, who missed half of spring practice dealing with legal issues, said he prefers running back. He said the biggest difference this year is the team's camaraderie.

``Not that it was bad last year, but this year we're building our unity,'' Fisher said.

Sophomore quarterback Pat Julmiste, named the starter this spring, rated his day (4- for-16, 40 yards, one interception) ``below average.''

``Every day I'm still learning,'' said Julmiste, who started two games last year. ``Coming from a Wing-T [offense in high school in 2002], I'm there, but I'm still not `there there.' I'm a lot more comfortable.''

Quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said Julmiste has made good progress.

``He's had a good spring,'' Smith said. ``I don't want [saturday] to deter from what he's done this spring.''

Senior Ronnie Banks (9-for- 18, 93 yards, one touchdown, one interception) directed the White team to its only score - a 14-yard touchdown pass to Allynson Sheffield. Banks was 4-for-4 for 61 yards on the drive, including a 36-yard pass to Bruce Gipson.

Sheffield (five catches for 50 yards) and Gipson (four for 49) were the leading receivers.

Defensively, senior ends Tim Jones and Craig Kobel had two sacks each. Linebackers Stephen Nicholas and Ronnie McCullough and cornerback A.J. Brant each had five tackles and an interception.

Freshman linebacker Josh Balloon also had five tackles.

NOTES: OT Derrick Sarosi, C Alex Herron, DT Lee Roy Selmon Jr. and FS Javan Camon were voted senior captains by the team. ... LB Devon Davis (right shoulder), Kobel (left knee) and Jones (right shoulder) were injured Saturday, but none are considered serious. Jones, a senior, said he and the coaches are deciding whether to redshirt him this fall. ... WR coach Lawrence Dawsey said he was most impressed this spring with Gipson, J.B. Garris, Joe Bain and S.J. Green, but the starting positions are ``still wide open.''

'Aggressive' D Rules for Bulls

Offense has little time to click as the defense notches 11 sacks and three INTs.

By BRANDON WRIGHT

Published April 11, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Defense dominated USF's spring game as the Green defeated the White 10-6 in front of an estimated 1,000 at Raymond James Stadium on Saturday.

"We didn't have all of our (first team) together so things don't flow as well," coach Jim Leavitt said. "With that in mind, I thought the guys did an excellent job. I'm excited about getting things going this fall."

The format resembled an actual game with a few exceptions to prevent injuries. Quarterbacks were downed on contact, neither team covered punts, there were no kickoffs and there was a running clock.

The defenses totaled 11 sacks and forced three interceptions. Craig Kobel and Tim Jones registered two sacks each, and the two units combined to force 23 punts.

"I thought that defensively we were very aggressive today," co-defensive coordinator Wally Burnham said. "One of the goals this spring was to be a tougher, more aggressive defense and I see us getting to that point."

But Leavitt was quick to note there were a few factors that led to the defense's gaudy sack numbers.

"Some of those sacks on (Pat Julmiste) wouldn't have been sacks because he's so big and strong (that) he gets through some of those arm tackles," Leavitt said. "It's not real fair when you don't put any continuity to the offensive line, because (the defenses) got a few more sacks than they normally would."

Evan Kraky and Julmiste were intercepted by A.J. Brant and redshirt freshman Ronnie McCullough, respectively, and Stephen Nicholas picked off Ronnie Banks with less than a minute left to seal the win for the Green.

"Nicholas is just a playmaker," defensive coordinator Rick Kravitz said. "You saw that with the interception he had today. He's just a flat-out player and he's special."

The sacks, combined with dropped passes and poor throws, contributed to the troubles of both offenses. The up-tempo, no-huddle offense that has become USF's trademark never got into a rhythm.

"It's always tough to develop that kind of continuity when you split up the sides like this, but skill-wise we had too many drops and too many bad throws," quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said.

Though Julmiste (4-of-16 for 40 yards) struggled, Smith said he has been pleased with the sophomore's progress. "There were some plays where (Julmiste) should have made better throws and he had some passes dropped," Smith said. "He's had better days, but he's had a good spring and I don't want this to deter from what he's done this spring."

Brian Fisher, who has been limited in practice and played sparingly in USF's two spring scrimmages after being arrested on suspicion of failure to pay child support on March 22, had the most productive day. Fisher had 14 carries for 95 yards and scored the Green's lone touchdown on a 40-yard fake reverse.

Justin Geisler connected on a 31-yard field goal to give the Green a 10-0 lead. Banks got the White on the board with 11:50 left in the fourth, connecting with Allynson Sheffield on a 14-yard score. Banks was 4-of-4 on the drive and finished 9-of-18 for 93 yards.

Good Points regarding the Spring in it's entirely, as MikeG pointed out, this IS practice and this was just the final practice.

I'm also not worried about att. at this practice ... I can understand why some Fans don't wanna watch "practice"

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i said it in february

someone better teach OL to run block and reponse from most was,"we can pass block so there shouldn't be any problem run blocking(with insults thrown in).

from what i hear there is a problem

\

when does fall practice begin

USF sure likes having big sporting events on holiday weekends.i imagine attendance would have been better if it were not easter weekend

Fall practice being sometime at the middle of August ... don't know the actual day.

Guest wildrover

There were tons of things going on yesterday, The Rays, the lightning, I think kid rock was even in town.  Although the Lightning was the only one in direct conflict with the spring game there still is that matter of the discretionary dollar.  Most people are only going to chose one event to attend given the disposable income thing and all.

I'm a little worried about the offense, I know we have a solid D and it takes some time to get the O in synch on any team but when passes are in the hands of the receivers and still dropped that isn't a timing problem.  Also the bad throws and large number of sacks means the wall up front needs to become bigger and we need to find a quarterback.

Did meet, for the first time, HowieP & bulldad. Great to meet you guys.

bulldad came to the Bull Backers tailgate and brought a fun crew.

Also 4got to mention I did meet Bullwark at the game.

Great to meet all of you.

Go BULLS !!!

... there still is that matter of the discretionary dollar.  Most people are only going to chose one event to attend given the disposable income thing and all.  

Spring Game was FREE !  ???

Go BULLS !!!