• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Louisville = rivalry in the making

Guest rueben_horowitz
Rueb, look at Miami- Va Tech they are so close in distance not, they hate each other, They had CFB before you started watching 5 years ago.

Wow, great single example buddy. Let's look at some of college football's biggest rivalries. Note what they all have in common.

Michigan vs. Michigan St

Michigan vs. Ohio St

Notre Dame vs. Purdue

Florida vs. Florida St.

Florida vs. Georgia

Alabama vs. Auburn

Oklahoma vs. Ok St.

Oregon vs. Oregon St.

Arizona vs. Arizona St.

Washington vs. Washington St.

I'm not saying that we won't becom rivals with UL, but there is already an inherent rivalry b/t USF and UCF due to proximity, and that will continue to get stronger each year we play; regardless of the fact we play in different conferences.

And Brahman, UCF doesn' t have to beat us to become a rival, the mutual hate b/t schools is fuel enough for the fire to burn for many years.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

USC vs Notre Dame

Notre Dame vs Navy

Florida vs Tennessee

Guest BullsFans

Oklahoma State isn't Oklahoma's biggest rivalry at least not when it comes to football...that distinction goes to Texas.

I'm not saying that we won't becom rivals with UL, but there is already an inherent rivalry b/t USF and UCF due to proximity, and that will continue to get stronger each year we play; regardless of the fact we play in different conferences.

USF - UCF is a natural....the different  conferences doesn't mean diddly.  The Sooner (Big Eight) - Longhorn (SWC) rivalry was humongous long before they were in the same conference...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

USF - UCF is a natural....the different  conferences doesn't mean diddly.  The Sooner (Big Eight) - Longhorn (SWC) rivalry was humongous long before they were in the same conference...

Comparing a potential USF/UCF rivalry to the  Texas/Oklahoma rivalry has got to be one of the funniest things posted on here in a while ...... outside of the haters whining about Mac.

Guest BullsFans

Funny how.....Do you think Oklahoma and Texas were  national powerhouses when their rivalry began or because you view USF and UCF as mediocre and that they will remain two bit players in the arena of college football or just because you say so?

Please enlighten me with your wisdom.

Perhaps you are one of those Bulls fans who don't want the USF UCF games to continue because you're afraid that UCF might win it's share of games.

Funny how.....Do you think Oklahoma and Texas were  national powerhouses when their rivalry began or because you view USF and UCF as mediocre and that they will remain two bit players in the arena of college football or just because you say so?

I don't know what/if the USF/UCF will become but it won't EVER come close to Texas/Oklahoma. Are you new to this whole college football thing and just saw some UT/OU game on ESPN Classic??

Perhaps you are one of those Bulls fans who don't want the USF UCF games to continue because you're afraid that UCF might win it's share of games.

Oops, your Bulls mask slipped a little there. Quick straighten it back up ...... Caught a gleam of armor underneath there.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

Who cares if there were more fans at the USFvsUCF game.

Well...for starters there's the folks who sell tickets, the players who play the game, and of course the universities themselves who have a vested in attendance.

You can spin it however you want - whatever gets you through your day - but the points to be considered are (a) we are on the hook for x-number of years to play a CUSA opponent in football  and (b ) UCF is the perfect fit.

I'd be willing to part with some cash betting that the term "rivalry", when used in Ole Kentuck refers to L'ville x UK. I doubt USF pops into the average Cardinal head when using the word "rivalry".

Here's this from Rivals.com:

September 2:

Kentucky @ Papa John's Cardinal Stadium

The Governor's Cup rivalry game between Louisville and Kentucky will be the first weekend of the season. Jurich has committed to keeping the game as the first game on the schedule each time the game is played in Louisville at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.

...and this from UKAthletics.com

Governor's Cup

The Governor's Cup was created in 1994 as the trophy for the winner of the Kentucky-Louisville game. Donated by Kroger at a cost of $23,000, the Governor's Cup stands 33 inches tall and weighs 110 pounds. The trophy's base and upright columns are hand-milled black marble. The glass components are comprised of Optic grade crystal. All metal parts are 23-karat, gold-plated brass. The cup itself is solid pewter with a 23-karat gold-plated finish. The Governor's Cup was designed by Kendall Costner and sculpted by James Corcoran of Bruce Fox, Inc. The UK-U of L series was renewed in 1994 with the Wildcats winning the game, 20-14.

...I haven't done a lot of searching, but I don't find much on the "UL x USF" rivalry....outside this board, of course.

Then again...there's this from Gary Shelton:

Rivalry marked more by fizzle than sizzle

By GARY SHELTON, Times Sports Columnist

Published September 18, 2005

TAMPA - So what did they win? The Old Oaken Mosquito?

The latest, greatest rivalry in college football history finally made it to the field Saturday night, and I am sure you will agree this was the overwhelming sentiment: Oh.

That's it? That's the game that Central Florida has been squawking about for years? That's the fierce, heated, these-guys-just-don't-like-each other grudge match?

Call it the Bore on I-4. No one returned a kickoff through the marching band. No one accused anyone of hitting late. The goal posts remain intact. Lindsay did not run, Bama did not punt and no one choked at the Doak.

South Florida finally gave UCF a game, and darned if UCF could give one back. The Bulls won 31-14, and it should have been worse. Prospects of a certain stature will receive the DVD extended edition Tuesday.

In the world of rivalries, in other words, Alabama-Auburn is safe.

Oh, people wanted this to be a rivalry. Right up until USF's Andre Hall started weaving through the Knights as if he were running a cone drill, there was hope this would be a next-tier version of Florida-FSU. There is nothing better in college football than a rivalry, and a map of Florida being what it is, this seems like the best hope for both teams.

But a rivalry? On the list of USF opponents, UCF ranks as something less than Louisville, but it's definitely better than Nicholls State.

Here, then, is the lesson UCF has waited years to learn: Be careful what you wish for.

Ah, the poor Knights. For years, their fans pleaded for a game with USF, and in return, the Bulls acted as if they didn't quite know what an "Orlando" was. USF had a better conference, a better stadium, a better future. If it was going to associate with anyone else, it was going to be Miami, FSU or Florida. Everybody else was, well, everybody else.

In hindsight, no, USF wasn't chicken. It was just picky.

Don't get me wrong. If you treat the turnstiles like voting booths, there are a lot of people willing to let this turn into one of those rivalries where the teams and the fans annoy the dickens out of each other.

That's what a real rivalry does. It gives a fan two teams to follow, one to love and one to despise. One to make him hope during recruiting season, another to make him chuckle when grade suspensions come down. Wasn't Shrek more interesting when he had to recruit against Farquaad?

So, yeah, it would be great if this became a grudge. It would be great to see bumper stickers and Web sites and insulting T-shirts. It would be great to have a USF fan walk up to you and say, "Do you know what you say to a UCF fan? You say, "But I asked for pepperoni.' "

If this is going to become one of those, however, it is going to need a lot fertilizer.

That's the thing about real rivalries. They have to have high stakes and long histories. They have to have two teams capable of ruining each other's weekend. They need to inspire passion and humor. Geography helps, but it isn't everything.

Right now, however, the Bulls do not regard UCF as a rival. Not a real one. To be a rival, the other team has to be in your mind all the time. That's how it is with FSU and Florida, with Georgia Tech and Georgia, with Michigan and Ohio State.

"We're not there yet," Hall said. "I think it will be, but right now, they're just another bump in the road."

"In 10 years, it's going to be one of the best rivalries," Terrence Royal said. "If it were up to me, I would definitely play them every year."

For now, this isn't a rivalry. This is two neighbors arguing about litter on the curb. Next week, neither team will care what the other does.

You know what a rivalry is? It's FSU running into some NCAA troubles, and Steve Spurrier gleefully suggesting the school be renamed "Free Shoes University." It's the Choke at the Doak.

It's the Auburn student body breaking spontaneously into a chant of "Punt, Bama, Punt" after two blocked punts ended Alabama's undefeated season. It's former Alabama quarterback Kenny Stabler holding up a pop-top from a beer can and suggesting it was an Auburn class ring.

It's Michigan's Tim Biakabatuka running for 313 yards against Ohio State, and Clemson's Rod Gardner pushing off on a 50-yard catch against South Carolina to set up a victory, and Navy's Roger Staubach turning Army into a highlight film. It's an Oklahoma fan, back in the days when Jack Mildren was running away from Rich Glover, suggesting the "N" on Nebraska's helmet stood for "knowledge."

Saturday night? It was a bunch of guys desperately hoping Hall would slip down. When you think how close this team came to South Carolina, it might be a bigger indictment of Spurrier than those years in Washington. Out of its past 17 games, it is a wonder UCF has only lost 17.

Yeah, yeah. It takes time. FSU begged Florida for years for a game, and when it finally got one, it promptly lost it. After a 41-year break, Auburn lost a 55-0 game to Alabama.

After one game, however, the best you can say is "maybe." And maybe that's enough.

If you look at the Big East, who else is going to be USF's rival? Louisville? West Virginia? Syracuse? There isn't a lot of geography involved there. Not a lot of history either.

If I am USF, I keep this game. I hope it grows into something nasty, something noisy. I hope it grows into the type of game that matters year round.

If not, there is only one place for the Knights to turn.

Florida Atlantic, I hear has some openings on the schedule.

[Last modified September 18, 2005, 02:15:36]

So, I'm beginning to think that - truthfully - it's a very subjective take that thinks UL is a rivalry and perhaps UCF x USF hasn't matured into "true" rivalry as of yet.

Call it what you want.

So, I'm beginning to think that - truthfully - it's a very subjective take that thinks UL is a rivalry and perhaps UCF x USF hasn't matured into "true" rivalry as of yet.

I believe that is what most, not all, of us have been saying .........

Guest BullsFans

I don't know what/if the USF/UCF will become but it won't EVER come close to Texas/Oklahoma. Are you new to this whole college football thing and just saw some UT/OU game on ESPN Classic??

Now that is funny...how do you know what it won't become in  50 - 100 years...ESP?  Hell for all anyone knows USF and UCF could both have NC's and be #1 and # 2 in the State.

I'm hardly a newbie.....How about you..When did attend your first college football game?  You probably didn't know what  a college or a football were when I went to my first college game.

When did you make your first trip to the Cotton Bowl to watch the Red River Shootout?    

Oops, your Bulls mask slipped a little there. Quick straighten it back up ...... Caught a gleam of armor underneath there.

Put down your crack pipe.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

Wow, great single example buddy. Let's look at some of college football's biggest rivalries. Note what they all have in common.

Michigan vs. Michigan St

Michigan vs. Ohio St

Notre Dame vs. Purdue

Florida vs. Florida St.

Florida vs. Georgia

Alabama vs. Auburn

Oklahoma vs. Ok St.

Oregon vs. Oregon St.

Arizona vs. Arizona St.

Washington vs. Washington St.

And Brahman, UCF doesn' t have to beat us to become a rival, the mutual hate b/t schools is fuel enough for the fire to burn for many years.

Big rivals

Miami - ND   what a freakin series that was

Army- Navy   Grand dad of them all

FSU - NC state

Not big rivals

Vandy - UT

Famu- FSU

UAB- Alabama

SMU- UT

USC - Fresno State

I could keep going but you get the point a rivalry usually is not one sided, kinda like you being my intellectual rival.