• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another residence hall planned for USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,033
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Days Won:  10

More and more students living on campus...

Residence Hall-Center Planned To Help USF Keep Up With Growth

By ADAM EMERSON aemerson@tampatrib.com

Published: Jan 25, 2006

TAMPA - The University of South Florida will add a $60 million residence hall to house up to 1,000 students.

The residence hall will be the largest on USF's campus and include a student dining hall that also will serve students from a nearby cluster of dormitories and on-campus apartments, said Tom Kane, USF's director of residence services.

"This is going to be a real activity center," Kane said.

Officials are planning the project while they decide whether to tear down one of the oldest residence halls on campus, the Andros Center. Built about 1965, the Andros Center is obsolete, "and the university is growing fast," Kane said.

Consultants are reviewing whether it would be less expensive to raze the 1,100-bed Andros Center or renovate it to accommodate the 6,000 students expected to be living on campus by 2010. There are 4,400 students living on campus, double the number 10 years ago.

The new residence hall must open by August 2008, especially if the university decides to demolish the Andros Center, Kane said. It would open in a southwest section of campus, just north of Alumni Drive.

Because space is a growing issue on the 35,000-student campus, it would stand tall - at least five stories. Most dorms and on-campus apartments at USF are sprawling two- to three-story buildings.

University administrators are reviewing designs from eight construction companies who have completed similar projects, Kane said. They expect to hire one of the companies by the end of March. Construction could begin as early as August.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBW5XYZUIE.html

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  894
  • Days Won:  0

If we keep building these residence halls where are we going to find the room for the OCS   ;) ;D

Guest bullman33

I say we use teh $60 million to build an on campus stadium.  Thats a lot of money.  Why not incorportate a multi use facility like fau and have a stadium and dorms all in one complex.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

because they are trying to make usf a non-commuter school and adding beds will do that, plus i think they will probably end up making it mandatory for freshman to leave on campus their freshman year

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,815
  • Days Won:  22

great idea. the more students that live on campus the better. its also a sign that we are getting more full time students.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

This as well as all of the other construction at USF really shows how much the university is growing!  I graduated in 2000 and I don't even recognize half of the campus anymore.  

But for the love of god, lets stop asking for an on campus stadium.  

There is NO way USF could afford to build a stadium half as nice as Ray Jay.  Let's focus on packing RayJay and getting a better deal with the TSA (considering your and my tax dollars funded it) we should at least get to paint the field for every game!  How about adding a USF logo to those big endzone changing advertisement signs.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

They will never make it mandatory for freshmen to live on campus, not enough beds.

I don't think living on campus really makes em stick around, I lived in a dorm for my final semester (cheaper and easier than a lease at an apt for 4 months) and most the kids would go home on the weekends.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

It shouldn't be mandatory for freshmen to live in dorms.  I live 5 min from USF... why the hell would I wanna live in a dorm when its that close?

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

i wish i could go back to school

another place for kiddies to do the dirty deed

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

Smazz I like your thinking on this.