• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question -  RE: football rule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  446
  • Days Won:  0

It seems like there is some rule in the NFL, that limits "quarterback swapping" during a game.  Meaning, if you go to your second-string, your first string has to sit out for so long?  Or if you go to your third string, you can't come back to your first?  Does anyone know what I'm talking about (because I really don't).  It just seems like I heard of some rule like that once, and I really don't know where'd I find that....other than here, of course.

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

It seems like there is some rule in the NFL, that limits "quarterback swapping" during a game.  Meaning, if you go to your second-string, your first string has to sit out for so long?  Or if you go to your third string, you can't come back to your first?  Does anyone know what I'm talking about (because I really don't).  It just seems like I heard of some rule like that once, and I really don't know where'd I find that....other than here, of course.

It's an emergency QB rule. Every teams designates an Emer. QB prior to every game. That person always dresses but if he comes into the game the QB's that are on the roster cannot come back in the game if the Emer. QB enters the game.

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

i have seen many occassions where an NFL qb has to have the medical staff come out on the field which means he must sit out atleast 1 play  but then he is right back in there.

that rule, if it does exsist, is pretty stupid.  i doubt it is actually on the books

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

your 3rd string qb is considered your emergency qb and if he comes in and plays, your 1st string qb can't re-enter the game until the 4th quarter. Dont know why but thats the rules of the NFL..they dont always make sense

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

thats a different story with the emer qb.

thats not 2nd or even 3rd string.  most of the time that position is filled by an actual position player, most likely a WR and i doubt it has ever come to that.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

No,

In the NFL, if your 3rd string or depper QB or a "nonroster QB" (which means if you put a WR at QB) comes into the game AS a QB, you must do one of two things

a) keep the starter on the field (at WR, RB...whereever)

B) sit your starting QB for the remainder of the game

i.e. - Kordell Stewart playing the "slash position" when he lined up at QB, Neil O'Donnell would play WR for that play since Kordell was the 3rd stringer on that depth chart

another example - Antwann Randel El (non roster QB) lines up at QB Rothlisberger goes wide.

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  446

Not trying to be difficult, but let's say your starter is hurt and sidelined temporally due to the injury.  Can #3 come in and later go back to #1, once he's taped up or whatever?

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

Per NFL rulebook.

the third QB rule works this way:

On game day each team gets to activate 45 players and designate a 46th player the emergency qb. If the emergency qb enters the game before the 4th quarter, then the first two quartebacks are not elligible to play in the game again.

A few years back there was a game between the redskins and eagles where the first two redskins quarterbacks were knocked out of the game early. However, there was a chance that one one them would be able to return to the game. If they were to use thier emergency qb, the other two quartebacks would not be able to return. Instead, they let Brian Mitchell (running back/ return man) play qb for a possession. He managed a pretty long TD drive.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

Not trying to be difficult, but let's say your starter is hurt and sidelined temporally due to the injury.  Can #3 come in and later go back to #1, once he's taped up or whatever?

#2 would go in before the #3. Once the #3 goes in, the #1 and #2 qb's are no longer eligible to play ........... at least, I think that's how it works.

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

The emergency (third) quarterback may now enter the game in just the fourth quarter, regardless if the other two quarterbacks are able to play. This means that if the third string quarterback enters the game, the first and/or second quarterback may re-enter, unlike the past two seasons where the emergency quarterback would only play off the first two were unable to resume play.