• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pathetic...

I watched the whole game and I have to say that I am proud of our Bulls.  If our team from a few years ago played with the heart of these guys we would have went to multiple NCAA tourneys.  You guys who are being hard on these players need to sit down and be quiet.  Try playing 40+ minutes a game.  I tell you one thing...when CRM gets a full bench of players who want to behave and will do things his way this team will be very, very competitive.  All of you self-named dark siders will then have crow to eat while the rest of us are going up to the Garden to watch our Bulls move there way up the Big East ladder.  When it happens, as I have said before, I will be one of the first to get back on this board and call you on this.  In the meantime, be quiet and let us enjoy the heart and hustle of our undermanned team and the brilliant coaching of a man whose time has not yet come.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Content Count:  468
  • Days Won:  0

You people are kinding yourselves if you think USF basketball is going to ever be a GREAT program. The chance for that to happen has come and gone.  

Debated this fact with other people before, but USF has obviously taken the road to be a football school. And, where some major colleges have had flashes of greatness from BOTH their football & basketball programs at one time, or another, they are perceived as one, or the other. Meaning, a football school or a basketball school.

You can argue with me all you wish, but to prove my point I simply give you these 4 examples:

1. Duke = basketball.

2. North Carolina = basketball.

3. USC = football.

4. Texas = football.

Texas is ranked #5 in the AP, and has a 15 -2 record. Heading into the NCAA tournament, that would probably give them a #2 seed.  

However, NO ONE, and I repeat, NO ONE will ever think of Texas as anything but, football 1st - everything else 2nd.

Even when Michigan had, The Fab Five, football was #1, and basketball was just icing on the cake. Look at Michigan basketball since that time. Glimmers of hope, but not much else.

USF's basketball program has had it's time (we are talking decades - not just a few years) to shine, and for whatever reason, it didn't happen.

The gears have shifted, and USF is heading full-tilt into the football world. Florida schools = football. Probably the best football talent base in the country, and the quick jump to Division I & into the Big East was no accident.

USF basketball will get better. It really can't get much worse. But, from now on, it never be the main athletic

focus.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

BBM guest... 1. Brilliant coaching? Sir/Madame you have to be kidding, right? Look, I like Coach Mac as a person. But his philosophy and ethics are not working here. They may have worked in other places, but it is not working at USF. Sometimes a good looking shoe just doesn't fit.

I would be skeptic, if this was just a fluke. But unfortunately, it is a pattern. Coach has brought this dilemma upon himself, by...

a. not recruiting the talent needed (ie Zaron Cann. This poor kids knees look like mine! Coach was "taking a chance" on him. In D1, you can not afford to take chances. You have to go for sure things that will help you. Zaron probably had a better chance at a D2 school. He will not have the speed to keep up with the fast paced action of D 1. It's not his fault, but that's the cruel reality. So we have wasted a scholie on a player that, well, look where he is now!

b. not having a conditioning and injury prevent program in place (sorry, 3 years with this many injuries? Gotta be something wrong here!)

c. Not keeping the talent that once was here. Sometimes ya gotta bend a little to make the "family" work. Dictatorship was the philosophy in the 50's. It's a whole new breed today! Disipline is one thing, and to be expected, but the iron boot mentality has to go. Sills was a case. But I think with a little guidance, he would have been an asset. ( I do however think that there was more involved here though, and Mac made his decision) But there have been others in the past.

d. When you are up 10-12 points, use the opportunity to put in your bench. I don't care if they are walk ons. You have to spell your players sometime. We are loosing the close games in the last 3 minutes because WE ARE TIRED!

e. and last,  teach don't yell at our players during the game. They are trying to give their all. All I have seen is a tirade and a banishment when players come to the bench. This is not how a coach should react. If they were doggin it or not trying, then heck yes. Let them have it! And instead of sitting on the bench with this look on your face or head in your hands, get up, show enthusiasm, all the way to the end. You expect your players to do it, why not you? Heck, Pitino and Calapari do! You also seem to think the refs are always right. I have seen you argue calls, but you back down. Watch what other coaches do. Calapari is always on the refs, AND HE gets the calls. Bobby Knight gets the calls. little Rickie gets the call. Coach K gets the calls. Proactivity is needed

This is what I've seen with the program. Unfortunately, it is on a downward spiral, which seemingly is only going to continue. Again, Mac is a great guy. But not a right fit.  "You can only fit so much of your foot into a small shoe, even when you use a shoehorn!"   (A Reaperism)

Guest bullman33

Yeah Florida is only a football school, sure, that why uf can gone to the final four twice and is now ranked number 2 and are undeafeted.  Florida can be any kind of school with the kind of athletes here.  Our admin though have not cared about upkeeping the program since football arrived.  

Plus all our coaches arent held accountable.  When was the last one to be fired for poor performance?  USF accepts mediocrity.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

jfc I agree and disagree. UF without a doubt is a football school. It took them almost 3 decades to get their basketball program to elite, they did it using football money.

However, we would not be that much better in CUSA, this just isn't a good team as proven by FIU and BCC games. It will be quite awhile before this team breathes NCAA in this conference, I know most people on this board look at everything in a light much brighter than it is (see: overstating a BCS birth with 5 weeks left in football season) but it's going to be awhile before we can compete in bball in this conference plain and simple.

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

like football team

basketball team has no talent

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,574
  • Days Won:  423

but it's going to be awhile before we can compete in bball in this conference plain and simple.

If by "compete" you mean for a conference title, I'd have to agree ....

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Yes, that is what I meant Trip.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,574
  • Days Won:  423

knight light, where did i ever say "walk-ons are as good as our starting scholarship players?  i never said that infact i said the opposite, i know quite a bit about basketball, i played growing up for 6 years, coached it in high school for 2 years, and have been following it for most of my life.  stay to your own board and leave us alone

Bullz, if there is one inherent trait in the majority of Kanigit fans it's that they have a massive deficiency when it comes to reading comprehension.

Guest Ari Hinkelberger

I have been saying fire him since we lose to Booofoon Cookman.  These suporters on this board will never see the light.  They pity MAC I don't.  I am looking out for our University.  I understand his circumstances, but I don't excuse the results -- They do.  Listen, we paid him to come to South Florida and win basketball games and gradutate players.  He has done neither.  We are going to lose more the 20 baseketball games this year.  That is totally unacceptable.  I don't care how many injuries you had, how many uncontrollable circumstances you have found yourself.  If you lose 20 games, you lose your job.  But to my fire MAC friends, don't worry Woolard isn't going to keep him around.  MAC knows this, he has to.  Part of me feels bad for Mac, I don't think he is a bad guy, I don't even think he is a terrible coach.  I just think that this situation has not worked.  It is not getting better, its getting worse.  We have done nothing but move backwards in the win column since he has arrived.  It is time to try to find a new system and a new person to drive the train.  I have advocated for Chris Collins at Duke.  Bob Huggins knows how to win.  There are some top assitants on SU's staff.  Anybody is better then what we have.  One of our problems might be a lack of funds to attract a high quality coach, but rest assure, this will be MACs last season.  We need a new face and some credibility.

Ari Hinkelberger