• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The City Council Woman

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,592
  • Days Won:  29

... I wish she would spend her energy on acknowledging USF for all the economic impact they bring to the whole Tampa Bay community.

EXACTLY !!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

I have to give the Mayor props on her stance for the Devil Rays. She is right, Tampa Bay has a Major League team called the Devil Rays. Until the Devil Rays win that World Series there should not be a sign saying World Series Champs. Rose Ferlita is so clueless that she does not understand that the sign has none of the team names on them. They just say home of the SuperBowl, Stanley Cup, and Arena Bowl champs which is a true. Leave it up to Rose to make those signs more confusing to outsiders.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

The kicker to me was that Ferlita was quoted as saying "I remember growing up with the Yankees..."

WHAT?

The Yankees have only been training in Tampa since 1996.  The Rays have been here since '98.  Unless Ferlita is 10 years old and grew up with the Yankees over the past decade, that is...

This irritates the hell out of me.  I'm no Yankees fan, but this isn't a knock against the Yankees.  The point is, they're the NEW YORK YANKEES, not the TAMPA Yankees.

Plus, they haven't won a championship in 5 years, so why the hell would they even BE on the damned sign?   ;)

Guest BullsFans

Ever hear of Miller Huggins Field in St Peterburg?

The Yankees held spring training in the Tampa Bay Area from 1924-42,  1946-1950, 1952-61.  

huggins_field_2.jpg

The Babe, Casey, "Joltin Joe",  Billy and "The Mick" all are part of TB history and Rose Ferlita did grow up with the Yankees.

Guest Ari Hinkelberger

This is just one more example of how lost the leadership in Tampa and throughout state is.

We have a public school system that is one of the worst in the country

49th in droopout rate

bottom 5 in teacher pay

bottom 5 in class size

Schoolyards are filled with trailors because we have nowhere to put the kids

It takes an hour to get down Bruce B. Downs now becuase we havd NO growth plan

30% of our citizens have NO health insurance

And we are sitting around talking about who we should put on the welcome sign to our city.  Totally laughable.  This is as ridiculous as Ms. Storms complaining about the name of the holiday break (she wants to make sure its called Christmas Break)

Ari Hinkelberger will be running for office in a mere 2 years.  These issues will be debated and discussed.  Why don't we revive the debate on lap dances while we are at it.!

Our government is a joke.

Ari Hinkelberger

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

The Bucs train in Orlando so does that mean that Tampa should share its NFL title with Them ::)

Ever hear of Miller Huggins Field in St Peterburg?

The Yankees held spring training in the Tampa Bay Area from 1924-42,  1946-1950, 1952-61.  

huggins_field_2.jpg

The Babe, Casey, "Joltin Joe",  Billy and "The Mick" all are part of TB history and Rose Ferlita did grow up with the Yankees.

Thanks for proving my point.  If the Yankees were Tampa's team when she was growing up (even though they trained in St. Pete), why doesn't she consider the Rays to be Tampa's team in 2006?

Rose should be campaigning to put those Yankees signs in St. Petersburg, according to her logic.  And while we're at at it, let's put up signs for the Reds.  They trained here when they won the World Series, didn't they?

Guest rueben_horowitz
This is just one more example of how lost the leadership in Tampa and throughout state is.

We have a public school system that is one of the worst in the country

49th in droopout rate

bottom 5 in teacher pay

bottom 5 in class size

Schoolyards are filled with trailors because we have nowhere to put the kids

It takes an hour to get down Bruce B. Downs now becuase we havd NO growth plan

30% of our citizens have NO health insurance

And we are sitting around talking about who we should put on the welcome sign to our city.  Totally laughable.  This is as ridiculous as Ms. Storms complaining about the name of the holiday break (she wants to make sure its called Christmas Break)

Ari Hinkelberger will be running for office in a mere 2 years.  These issues will be debated and discussed.  Why don't we revive the debate on lap dances while we are at it.!

Our government is a joke.

Ari Hinkelberger

I think only 55% of high school students in the state of FL graduate in 4 yrs.

Take a look at USF's school of education; tell me it's not a complete joke...No offense to the good teachers that came out of it, but I personally know 5 or 6 MORONS that graduated from USF that are now teaching FL's children.

On topic -- I grew up a Yankees fan, but this is ridiculous; the Devil Rays are our team. The Yankees get enough attention in Tampa already, we don't need them on any more signs.

Rueben

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142
  • Days Won:  0

I think only 55% of high school students in the state of FL graduate in 4 yrs.

Take a look at USF's school of education; tell me it's not a complete joke...

I graduated from USF's College of Education and it was NOT a complete joke!!

No offense to the good teachers that came out of it, but I personally know 5 or 6 MORONS that graduated from USF that are now teaching FL's children.

Rueben

I personally know morons in a wide variety of jobs that graduated from USF.  Does that make the whole University a joke??  Or how about all of the moron teachers from other schools??  Or from even different states??  Don't give me your "no offense" logic.  It doesn't fly with me and is completely off topic for this whole thread!

Rueben is basing his opinion largely on the internet dating profile of one third-grade teacher in Tampa that his buddy ran across... check the Mad Cow board for that thread.  Ever since then, he's been the champion of Florida's schools.

Rueben, did you know that in Hillsborough County, you don't even NEED to be degreed in education to teach in the public school system?  That's right, due to the massive shortage of teachers in Florida, you can basically come from any background, pass a basic test to gain employment as a teacher, and as long as you commit to obtaining your certifications within a certain period of time, you can work as instructional staff in the Hillsborough County School System.

If you want to rail against the lack of a growth plan for the county and/or state that causes these conditions, fine.  But to direct your anger at the University of South Florida's education program shows ignorance... there are far larger problems with our schools than USF's COE, and, in fact, were it not for the fine graduates of the COE, our local schools would be worse off.

Do us a favor and perform at least a modicum of research before you spread your misinformed criticism across an entire body of professionals.