• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2006 Projected Starters

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

we look very young on the OLINE even our Jr. dont have alot of PT

I agree with you, but in Coach Frey's case - I felt the same way coming n2 2005 and the guys did well.

So let's hope 4 the best and maybe a Juco interior Lineman.

Go BULLS !!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

Damian Gregory at QB

Damian Gregory at QB

We have a Grant Gregory ?

Bulls want to build on promising recruits

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published January 4, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USF's first football season in the Big East, with all its ups and downs, has ended, and Bulls coaches already are back on the road, trying to line up the second half of what looks to be a promising recruiting class.

There are many reasons for optimism for the Bulls, including a schedule that features four league home games and a far less grueling nonconference slate. That alone should make it reasonable for USF to improve on its 6-6 record, but here are five players who didn't play in 2005 and should be in position to make an impact this fall.

MOISE PLANCHER, FR., RB: Former Hillsborough star Ricky Ponton is a year ahead and showed promise this fall, but coaches have been raving about Plancher, a 5-foot-9, 190-pound freshman from Naples. He pronounces his first name like "Moses," and the battle between him and Ponton to replace Andre Hall may trump the QBs as the spring's most hotly contested position.

GEORGE SELVIE, FR., C/DE: He came to USF as a defensive end and shined there, but his future is likely at center, where he played in high school in Pensacola. He's 6-5 and has already added 15 pounds to reach 255, and the Bulls coaches hope they've found a center to replace senior John Miller.

EAN RANDOLPH, SR. WR: The former Durant running back sat out this season after transferring from tiny Webber International, where he caught 50 passes in 2004. He'll have only one year with the Bulls, but look for this 5-9 receiver to make an impact as a sure-handed playmaker.

DANNY TOLLEY, FR. G: The Wesley Chapel standout has the size (6-6, 310) for tackle but could help out next year in replacing three graduating interior linemen, most likely at left guard. Redshirt freshmen Jake Griffin and Matt Huners are also in the mix for interior spots, with tackle Thed Watson likely as the only senior on next year's offensive line.

JARED CARNES, SO. TE/OT: Carnes is seeking a medical redshirt for an arm injury, and his 6-7, 285-pound frame could help out at right tackle or as a big tight end. The St. Petersburg High graduate, a transfer from Division II Concord College in West Virginia, has put on 20 pounds since joining the team as a walk-on last year.

REALLY GOING FOR IT: One of USF's most successful offensive plays Saturday was the fake punt that saw Brandon Baker hit a wide-open S.J. Green for a 31-yard gain. If you think that was a bold call, how about this: coach Jim Leavitt called for the same trick play earlier in the third quarter, when the Bulls were backed up on their 1-yard line.

"I called it then, but our guys didn't get the signal," Leavitt said. "They were leaving both of our stingers uncovered and it was there, but we didn't see it."

Leavitt specifically asked TV crews to turn off their cameras during a practice last week to avoid spoiling the potential surprise.

VOTE NOW: Fans can vote for an All-Florida football team at sunsportstv.com, with USF's Hall one of three candidates for offensive MVP, along with Florida State's Drew Weatherford and UCF's Kevin Smith. Strangely, none of the "Big Three" coaches are among the four choices for state coach of the year.

THIS AND THAT: Former USF guard Chanae Early, who withdrew from school after a May arrest on charges of fraudulent use of a credit card, has landed on her feet at Shaw University, a Division II program in Raleigh, N.C. Early leads Shaw with 16.2 points a game and is averaging 4.1 assists for a team ranked No. 4 nationally in the preseason. ... USF's new video scoreboards make their Sun Dome debut with Thursday's Big East opener against West Virginia. The $2-million upgrade includes video replays from four cameras, and to get a sense of the complexity involved, it takes 11 people to operate the boards.

Greg Auman covers USF athletics. He can be reached at auman@sptimes.com Check out his "USF Bulletin" blog online at www.sptimes.com/blogs/usf

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Here's my guess:

Offense

WR   8   Johnny Peyton    Jr.   6-5  185

TE    84  Will Bleakley        Sr.   6-3  240

LT   55   Thed Watson       Sr.   6-5  295

LG   78   Mark Dile             So.  6-4  280

C     77   Jake Griffin          So.  6-4  300

RG  75    Walter Walker     Jr.   6-5  305

RT   72   Jerome Springfield  So.   6-9   320

WR  83   Jackie Chambers Jr.   5-11 185

WR         Amp Hill             Sr.   6-1   190

QB   4    Carlton Hill          So.   6-3   215

RB    5    Ricky Ponton       So.  5-8   215

K     35   Kyle Bronson       So.  6-0   190

Defense

LE    46   T. Robinson        Sr.   6-4   265

DT    94   Allen Cray          Jr.    6-0   295

NT    76   Richard Clebert  Jr.    6-1  295

RE    91   Josh Julmiste     So.   6-6  265

WLB 54   Patrick St. Louis Sr.   6-1  230

MLB  59  Ben Moffitt          Jr.    6-2  235

SLB   53  Brouce Mompremier  So.    6-0  220

CB    21  Trae Williams      Jr.    5-10 185

SS    32  Carlton Williams  So.  6-3   205

FS    17  Danny Verpaele  So.   5-11 195

CB    4    Mike Jenkins       Jr.    6-0   200

P      25  Delbert Alvardo   Fr.   6-2   185

Peyton is USF's best receiver.  I hope he makes a return to the starting lineup, and Amp Hill is 100% healthy.  A long-time PJ supporter, I have officially given up on him and want to see Hill or Grothe at QB next year.

I'm hoping Brouce makes a big impact next year, assuming Snake is gone.  The D backfield is loaded.  Jenkins might be better at safety, but I don't think there's room.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  342

I like Jake's lineup with a couple of exceptions.  I think Cedric Hill will split time with Bleakley at TE.  I put Selvie at center and shift Griffin and Walker over 1 spot and move Springfield to the bench.  Also,  I think that Ryan Gilliam will work his way into the lineup somewhere.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

If Hill is the starting QB we have the opportunity to run an offense similar to WV.  WV really only passes when needed.  The key to that will be our offensive line.  No one talks about how good the WV offensive line is but they are outstanding along with great blocking from their wideouts.  We have the skill players to do that but aside from Thad Watson i don't know if we have the offensive line to do it.  Our WRs need to be much better at running routes,catching the ball and downfield blocking.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266

look for peyton to have a much improved season, soph slump is over

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

No Buie ?

No Buie ?

He's definately on the 2 Deep and sure we'll be hearing his name a lot.