• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NFL working with some schools to create 70 team superleague

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,901
  • Days Won:  2

The lawsuits that we hear about are much more damaging to the P5 conference members I believe.  But as they have the revenue streams to payout if needed (and we don't), I'm uncertain where their risk level is versus ours for damage from retro pay-for-play.  

The article has quotes from WVU and Syracuse administrators. They're concerned.  Still, they've never been relegated to G5 status.  Hard to sympathize.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  1

Honestly, if we take an objective view, it’s what needs to happen. When it comes to basketball and football, colleges are the minor leagues for the NFL and NBA; time to treat it as such. I am a traditionalist, but even I can see that my childhood college football and basketball are dead, time to evolve. I like that the bottom 10 teams can be relegated, will still give us a chance to be elevated. My preference would be to have the UFL (ex USFL/XFL) grow to be the minor league for football (hold an amateur draft for the best HS and College players for UFL and NFL) every year and let the NCAA carry on with the real student athletes; but that won’t happen. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,342
  • Days Won:  10

I don't watch pro sports.  I have no affinity for the teams.  I don't know that I will have any affinity for USF sports after these changes.  With the turnover in players and them only looking for the payday, I really can't see what would make a USF team any different than any other team.  What would be USF about a player who ducks in for a payday and then transfers out for more money after one year?  Why would the players have to take classes at all?  Do we make other USF employees take classes?

We may destroy the sport, but hey, at least we were "fair" while we had it.  :bang:

We are being led by rake steppers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,344
  • Days Won:  43

I do believe USF will be included in this group if you have been paying attention to the investments….

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  400

12 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

I do believe USF will be included in this group if you have been paying attention to the investments….

In the version proposed here (which is still very preliminary and I don't think the B1G and SEC want this), USF would be included but vulnerable to being relegated to the 2nd tier. 

This proposal would split the 130 FBS teams to 80 teams in the upper league and 50 in the lower league. For the 80 in the upper, 70 are permanent spots for the P5. They included the 68 teams that were P5 in the 23 football season, so OSU and WSU included. Plus ND and SMU to get to 70. These 70 teams would be split into 7 10-team divisions/conferences. There would be an 8th 10 team division that is essentially the best of the G5. But the downside to being part of that division is that teams will be promoted from and relegated to the 50 team 2nd tier league based on performance. But only that league, the other 70 are permanently tier 1.

But this is all super early concepts which are fun but don't benefit the B1G and SEC more than their current setup, so I don't see it happening.

14 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

In the version proposed here (which is still very preliminary and I don't think the B1G and SEC want this), USF would be included but vulnerable to being relegated to the 2nd tier. 

This proposal would split the 130 FBS teams to 80 teams in the upper league and 50 in the lower league. For the 80 in the upper, 70 are permanent spots for the P5. They included the 68 teams that were P5 in the 23 football season, so OSU and WSU included. Plus ND and SMU to get to 70. These 70 teams would be split into 7 10-team divisions/conferences. There would be an 8th 10 team division that is essentially the best of the G5. But the downside to being part of that division is that teams will be promoted from and relegated to the 50 team 2nd tier league based on performance. But only that league, the other 70 are permanently tier 1.

But this is all super early concepts which are fun but don't benefit the B1G and SEC more than their current setup, so I don't see it happening.

So no ability to elevate from G5?!  

Nick Jonas Dancing GIF by NBC

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

why would anyone agree to allow the nfl a seat at the table unless the contributing significant money

im all for self governing

let the market  determine the future

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  400

2 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

So no ability to elevate from G5?!  

Nick Jonas Dancing GIF by NBC

Not permanently. 10 G5 teams will play with the P5, but still be open to being demoted and traded for a different G5 based on performance. European soccer style. 

5 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Not permanently. 10 G5 teams will play with the P5, but still be open to being demoted and traded for a different G5 based on performance. European soccer style. 

Another way to say that a G5 team wouldn't have the ability to ever join the upper teir permanently.  Only G5 subject to this?  Would about the independent UConn?  

Edited by Cat941