• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Honoring the Legend of Arthur Jones

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,607
  • Days Won:  424

GOUSFBULLS.COM

TAMPA, Fla. (February 23, 2024) – Brick by brick, win by win, the USF men's basketball team has built one of the most special seasons in program history.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,448
  • Days Won:  19

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:
GOUSFBULLS.COM

TAMPA, Fla. (February 23, 2024) – Brick by brick, win by win, the USF men's basketball team has built one of the most special seasons in program history.

Now you're getting back to my early days of fandom.  Good stuff!

BTW, the pic in the story shows Glenn Dupont, my brother's high school teammate and one of the reasons I first became a Bulls fan.

Edited by SilverBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,876
  • Days Won:  67

So the first year we had a team, we had black men on the team?  I am failing to realize the significance of this? If we had a team like Kentucky that was all white and broke the color barrier one year then  that would be significant?  Kind of a reach, but I like to celebrate so go AJ!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,607
  • Days Won:  424

4 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

So the first year we had a team, we had black men on the team?  I am failing to realize the significance of this? If we had a team like Kentucky that was all white and broke the color barrier one year then  that would be significant?  Kind of a reach, but I like to celebrate so go AJ!

First Black student-athlete at USF ....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The first athlete didn’t even get on campus until a few years before that, Who was that guy or gal? Either way, I am celebrating, it is a moving story!  

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,827
  • Days Won:  22

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Correct.We had other sports that started in 1966 like baseball,swimming and soccer and it wasn’t until 1970 in basketball that USF had its first African American Student Athlete

Edited by Cubanbull

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,123
  • Days Won:  56

Frisco is going “anti-woke” on us.

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

8 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Frisco is going “anti-woke” on us.

Seems inconsequential in the post civil rights era.  I am not sure they were not allowing black athletes on the swim team but it is just as well it was shut down regardless.  I have been following this team for over 35 years and this is the first I have ever heard of the guy?  I am all for celebrating the greats Bradley, Dobras, Jones etc… have never heard a Peep about this guy but if Trips thinks it worthy of a thread and if I think it is worthy of opining then So be it, it is worth celebrating.  #go Bulls!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,448
  • Days Won:  19

19 hours ago, Friscobull said:
19 hours ago, Triple B said:

The first athlete didn’t even get on campus until a few years before that, Who was that guy or gal? Either way, I am celebrating, it is a moving story!  

Not sure who was "the first athlete" on campus but for us old-timers, USF has oft recognized Bill Keegan as its first varsity letterman.  I dealt with Bill a lot in my time with the Bulls Club Board and Iron Bull fundraising efforts.  Also a good guy.

GOUSFBULLS.COM

BullsVision host Joel Godett sat down with former USF cross country runner Bill Keegan, who recently donated his USF memorabilia to the USF Varsity Club and was...

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

Not sure who was "the first athlete" on campus but for us old-timers, USF has oft recognized Bill Keegan as its first varsity letterman.  I dealt with Bill a lot in my time with the Bulls Club Board and Iron Bull fundraising efforts.  Also a good guy.

GOUSFBULLS.COM

BullsVision host Joel Godett sat down with former USF cross country runner Bill Keegan, who recently donated his USF memorabilia to the USF Varsity Club and was...

Thanks Silver, the name sounds somewhat familiar, running cross country in the Tampa heat is no joke. He probably was only able to wear that varsity sweater once or twice a year.