• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Follow Along As The Bulls Jam In Paradise

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,700
  • Days Won:  7

43 minutes ago, Cmr3 said:

Probably one of the worst women’s USF basketball teams I’av seen in a while.Talent wise we aren’t bad but we don’t really have any go to players and can’t hit 3’s.Gonzales is having a hard time with this bunch, he really needs to play to their strengths.I think it’s a mixture of line ups, no go to player, and coaching.

I agree with this. They've looked much less talented than in years past, noticed this early on in a few of the games I watched. This isn't a NCAA tournament caliber team this season. WNIT appearance maybe.. We'll lose several more games this season to "lesser" competition. I'd be shocked if we are able to win the conference in which we should dominating at this point. We lost A LOT of talent after last season.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Who names their kid Treasure Hunt

Was wondering the same thing. She should have gone to ECU instead…lol

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

We don’t play nearly as fast. Used to seeing us get the ball off the glass and push it for easy baskets. We don’t have the skill or legs to do that this season.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

As competition ramps up, I am seeing with Blasigh what I had suspected. Play her tight and she has trouble scoring. She is turning it over quite a bit when trying to penetrate.

Aarnio has played a lot of minutes in this tournament. Obviously, CJF is trying to find something. On just a few attempts, she has shown that she has the ability to drive past her defender and dish or finish. If she continues to get minutes, her shots will start to fall. I think she is nervous at the moment. She has the most potential of any player on the squad, in my opinion. No one can match her athleticism and quickness. Her length has also proven to be helpful on defense as well.

One note about Maria. Two games ago, she threw a pass right into the chest of an opposing player. Instead of defending the player she threw it to, she grasped her face with her hands and did not move for a few seconds. I am sure she got into CJF's doghouse for that, more so for giving up on the play than for the bad pass. Tonight, Asensio turned it over in the back court, but instead of trying to prevent an easy fast break bucket, she just gave up on the play and let the player go down for the easy score.

This is the Bad News Bears of women's basketball.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

And check out what Texas is doing to High Point tonight . . . Yikes!

Four minutes until half and it’s 48-4

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, St.PeteSlim89 said:

Was wondering the same thing. She should have gone to ECU instead…lol

Well played 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  3,002

8 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

And check out what Texas is doing to High Point tonight . . . Yikes!

Four minutes until half and it’s 48-4

Sad Michael Scott GIF

12 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

She has been missing her 3s lately. She was 1-7 the last 2 games.

Make that 2-18 the last 3 games, including 1-11 from deep.

12 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

As competition ramps up, I am seeing with Blasigh what I had suspected. Play her tight and she has trouble scoring. She is turning it over quite a bit when trying to penetrate.

Blasigh had 5 turnovers yesterday. Brito had 4, and Wilson had 3. After 7 games:

Blasigh - 22

Brito - 21

Wilson - 17

Alvarez - 13

Honorable Mention - Judit Valero with 5 in 28 minutes.

As a team, we are turning it over 18.6 times per game and shooting 37.5% from the field, including 29.6% from deep. Remove Blasigh's 3pt shots, and the team is shooting a woeful 21% from deep.

Look for Texas to bring the heat today. They have forced 27 turnovers each against ASU and High Point and forced 29 turnovers in the game previous to this tournament. They forced 2 ASU guards (Crisp and Simmons) into 8 turnovers each, while those same 2 had only 1 turnover against us. And Texas' coach is looking for revenge against us after last year's loss to us. Anyone know what the record is for our worst loss in history? My guess would be a UConn game. Don't be surprised if a new record comes today.

On another note, Mputu may turn out to be our best low post scorer this year. She has been having trouble with traveling, but as far as accuracy on her shots, she seems to be better than anyone else. With Emma and Evelien, it looks like they are just throwing up prayers, while Mputu's shots look like they are actually being released with precision. She was 3-3 in yesterday's game. After starting the season 0-3, she is 7 for her last 10 and is the only player on the team shooting at least 50%.

We have 4 players at least 6'2" that have been getting playing time. We have a shot of beating Texas if 1) We have at least 3 of those players on the floor together at all times, and are aggressive on the boards; and 2) We shoot at least 50% from the floor. If not, we will be blown out. Why do I say this about having a tall lineup?

In watching Texas this year, I noticed something peculiar. Well, not really peculiar; rather different from what I see most teams do and something that I would do if I were coaching a team. I noticed on just about every shot Texas took, there were 3-4 players in the paint to have a chance at the rebound, while 1 player stood in the backcourt to prevent an easy quick transition basket. How has that paid off for Texas? In 6 games, they are averaging 20 offensive rebounds per game to go along with 26 defensive rebounds. To put it more into perspective, Texas has missed 219 shots in 6 games and have gotten the rebound on 122 of those misses. That is they obtain the rebound on 56% of the shots that they miss.

If we do not adjust to these facts about their style of play, and simply just put the same lineup on the floor, we will lose badly. They will force turnovers and will outrebound us when we are on defense, if we do not change our approach tonight.