• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McNeese State added to '06 Football Schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

McNeese State to visit Bulls for 2006 opener

By GREG AUMAN, Times Staff Writer

Published December 16, 2005

TAMPA - USF will open its 2006 football season at Raymond James Stadium on Sept. 2 against Division I-AA McNeese State.

"They sent us a contract, and we signed it and sent it out to them (Thursday)," Cowboys athletic director H. Sonny Watkins said. "We're excited about coming to Tampa and playing the Bulls."

McNeese went 5-4 this season, with one game canceled by Hurricane Katrina and two lost after its Lake Charles, La., campus was hit hard by Hurricane Rita. The Cowboys lost 48-20 to Southern Miss in their lone game against a I-A opponent.

The Bulls now have one opening left, likely a road game to open a home-and-home series with another BCS school. USF was to open its season against Florida International, but that home game has been moved to Sept. 9, followed by games at Central Florida (Sept. 16) and North Carolina (Sept. 23).

USF will have four Big East games (Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Syracuse) at home next season, with games at Cincinnati, Louisville and West Virginia.

Though McNeese is a I-AA program, the Cowboys exceed the NCAA's minimum scholarship threshold, so a Bulls win against them would count toward the six required for bowl eligibility. Watkins declined to say how much McNeese would be paid by USF for the one-game contract.

DL may switch lines

With the lack of depth at center, coach Jim Leavitt is considering moving defensive lineman George Selvie to the other side of the ball. Thursday the freshman practiced with the offense.

"Selvie continues to impress at center," Leavitt said. "Today we did a lot of work with a lot of young guys, well, because we still missed a number of guys up front."

With players missing because of exams, Leavitt said he is taking a closer look at others such as quarterback Matt Grothe, who "looked really, really good."

Also trying out a new position is offensive lineman Paul Uhatafe, who played nose guard during practice. "(Paul) is a huge guy," Leavitt said. "He's 6 foot 2, 295 pounds. He's a horse; you can tell that. So we're trying him out for the future."

BACK AND FORTH: Alternating with first team are quarterbacks Pat Julmiste and Carlton Hill. Leavitt has been giving numerous first-team reps to his freshman, who saw considerable time against West Virginia on Dec. 3.

Times correspondent Mike Camunas contributed to this report.

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/16/Sports/McNeese_State_to_visi.shtml

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

I'm cool, can't wait to find our who the last team will be. I will be flying up for the FIU & UCF game ... easy way to take care of my 1 Home & 1 Away game promise  8)

Also like that Hill has been getting the same #of reps.

Go BULLS !!!

OOC

Sept. 2 McNeese St

Sept. 9 Fla. International

Sept. 16 at UCF

Sept. 23 at North Carolina

Big East

Home (dates TBD)

Connecticut

Pittsburgh

Rutgers

Syracuse

Away (dates TBD)

at Cincinnati

at Louisville

at West Virginia

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

With players missing because of exams, Leavitt said he is taking a closer look at others such as quarterback Matt Grothe, who "looked really, really good."

BACK AND FORTH: Alternating with first team are quarterbacks Pat Julmiste and Carlton Hill. Leavitt has been giving numerous first-team reps to his freshman, who saw considerable time against West Virginia on Dec. 3.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  1,266

I think that if Grothe wins the job, we'd be in good hands.  Think about it, I know Julmiste isn't great, but he has 3 years experience.  We've seen a preview of Hill and he looks like he could be really good soon.  Point is, if Grothe is the starter, he'd have to be something special to beat out those 2 guys.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

McNeese State............ a good whipping boy for us next season

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

When was the last time Leavitt said a quaterback looked really really good!   That makes me feel good about next year!

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

I like that MG is getting a good look this early.  I think he is making a statement that he is going to be in the mix next year.  Maybe next year we could see a two-headed monster.  MG who is the drop back pro-style QB that will just pick apart a weak secondary and C4 who is a more dangerous running style quarterback that will exploit a weak D-line.  I like the thought of being able to mix it up a little bit.  Mark it down...MG is going to make a move on the QB scene.  From what we read he is just that type of kid.

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401

Don't think Grothe ever sees the field unless Hill is Injured. Luckily he red shirted so he can start his Senior year.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  140

McNeese State............ a good whipping boy for us next season

Three or four years ago, I might have argued that statement.   But the way we played the last two seasons, you are probably right.

Be gentle.

Doc