• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Byrum Brown and NIL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

11 minutes ago, WhaddaBunchaBull said:

If my 35 years in HR taught me anything, it was that (for the most part) people don't leave for money and they don't stay for money. Intrinsic value is much more of a motivator to stay or leave. 

In a more corporate world, that may definitely be the truth. I'm not entirely sure that is the case when these kids are raised on the "get money" culture. Perhaps, I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

3 minutes ago, USFBulls12 said:

In a more corporate world, that may definitely be the truth. I'm not entirely sure that is the case when these kids are raised on the "get money" culture. Perhaps, I'm wrong.

Was going to say something similar. Probably not dealing with 18 year olds who go to a school where they'll get a scholarship, etc and playing time. Then they break out and a school with NIL money says if you transfer here you'll get $300,000.  I've heard from a coach with USF that was scouting a kid that they were on the fence about. That "student athlete" said I have an $80,000 offer from such and such school, what can you offer in NIL money.  This from a kid that the coach wasn't even sure they wanted.  College athletics have become a shiite show.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

I am still not sure really how this NIL works. To his credit Kelly has been able to raise a lot of money. We were able to find money for facilities and an OCS. So that tells me that the donors are there.  There just has to be more info available about how the NIL money is used and where its going to. I would be a 100 percent in in donating NIL money that specifically would go to keep a player like Brown.

Teams like WKU were able to keep their star QB, so I see no reason that we could'nt do the same. Tons of other examples where star players decide to stay at smaller programs. Its better to be a starter at a smaller program then have an uncertain future at a big program. just need to be competitive with the Nil money.

You can give to specific players, units, teams etc. They have a one tome donation form on their website and you can also just email them, they're pretty responsive.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,983
  • Days Won:  2

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

$495 enrollment.
These "poor student-athletes" with their NIL are now enriching everyone....wasn't it that way to begin with?  Isn't that what NIL was supposed to solve?

That money is not likely to come from financial aid sources either as it's a non-credit course.  Whatever happened to the previous program that USF had for it's student-athletes - BOOST?

WWW.WUSF.ORG

USF has created a program called BOOST, meant to help student-athletes better manage their “personal brand” now that they can profit from it.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  807
  • Days Won:  1

47 minutes ago, WhaddaBunchaBull said:

If my 35 years in HR taught me anything, it was that (for the most part) people don't leave for money and they don't stay for money. Intrinsic value is much more of a motivator to stay or leave. 

You're not dealing with experienced professionals at this point though. College kids are going to think much differently. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

7 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

USF had for it's student-athletes - BOOST?

USF still has a way for the athletes to get NIL without going through FAC or getting certified...It's INFLCR.  Same outfit I beleive...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

We're going back into the NIL business here just so we can have some interaction with players.  Our NIL efforts, like last seasons, won't result in fans getting TBP "swag" because it's a straight through to players.  We'll set them up on NIL board, Zoom, etc.

I keep struggling with whether it is the right thing to do or not.  We spent a few thousand last year on Battie and Grier.  Entertainment I guess.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,983

35 minutes ago, Brad said:

We're going back into the NIL business here just so we can have some interaction with players.  Our NIL efforts, like last seasons, won't result in fans getting TBP "swag" because it's a straight through to players.  We'll set them up on NIL board, Zoom, etc.

I keep struggling with whether it is the right thing to do or not.  We spent a few thousand last year on Battie and Grier.  Entertainment I guess.

Understood.  Like buying a boat.  Had a yacht captain friend tell me that I'd be better off digging a hole in the yard and throwing money in it, than buying a boat LOL. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

12 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

So now it’s like every player is in a contract season? They play well this season and we have to pay up or they’ll sign elsewhere? I miss real amateur status. 

Yes and no.  I think they have now limited the transfer portal so if you transfer a second time you have to sit out a year.  So I think there will be some settling where it isn't quite as crazy the next couple of years.  But the world has definitely changed.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201

4 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Yes and no.  I think they have now limited the transfer portal so if you transfer a second time you have to sit out a year.  So I think there will be some settling where it isn't quite as crazy the next couple of years.  But the world has definitely changed.

Good it needs to be limited. Saw an article other day how alot in portal never found a new school. 

• Upvote 1