• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF 113/117 Fewest Penalties Per Game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I personally cannot stand the clips and blocks in the back on kickoffs.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

true, i didnt think of those because they dont happen very often but much like false starts...block in the backs are a direct result of coaching.

i dont mind face maskings, pass interference, roughing the qb, late hits, etc.

anything that is aggressively attacking the ball.  its the fouls away from the ball that kill you.  or fouls that don't involve the play

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146

true, i didnt think of those because they dont happen very often but much like false starts...block in the backs are a direct result of coaching.

Yes, coaching does factor into this, but watch almost any college game and you'll hear the announcers joke about how there is a flag on every special teams return.  This is because the referees have been more strict on their calls on special teams in the last 6 years or so.

What position did you play?

Do you mind revealing your identity?

Since you've BEEN there, I'd love to hear your thoughts about our offense and what needs to be done to fix it?

My name is Kevin and I was #79 from the 1997 to 2000 season.  I played all 5 offensive line positions throughout my career.  My view on the offense is very similar to those that have been mentioned elsewhere on this board.  Coach Smith is not a good play caller, has shown no ability to develop a quarterback, and from some friends of mine still in the program, he isn't that great at recruiting.  The biggest loss the USF offense had was when it lost Mike Canales back in 2000.  Obviously Julmiste is also a problem.  My biggest problem with him, despite his inability to throw (which is pretty important), is that he has and continues to make poor choices in the passing game.  To me those are inexcusable.  If you throw a pick trying to throw it to the correct guy, I can live with it.  But to throw picks when you throw to guys that were your 3rd or 4th read is unacceptable.

So what can be done?  Despite some of the more pessimistic posters on this board, Coach Leavitt is a great coach.  He is and will be everything USF needs to reach the highest level.  It just takes time.  We do need a new offensive coordinator.  And we are looking good for the future with the QB position, so I expect that to be much better from now on.  

My biggest concern for the offense in the future is going to be (surprise) the offensive line.  If you look at the Top teams in the country, although they have talented QBs and RBs, they all have great offensive lines.  For the USF offense to move forward and utilize its younger talent, it must recruit, sign, and develop stud offensive linemen.

(Sorry about the book)

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I think I saw this question on the SAT back in high school:

1 -  Penalties: USF Football

a) run: USF track

B) tackle: USF football

c) free throws: USF basketball (*correct answer*)

d) goal: USF soccer

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Penalties are a big deal to Coach Leavitt.  When I played, Coach would hire some of CUSA refs in the spring and during preseason, to come to our practices and referee.  That way as players, we could see what would be called and what wouldn't.  We also had meetings with those refs periodically to discuss good and bad things they saw from a referee's point of view.  

As far as disciplinary action goes, if an offensive player got a penalty, then he, personally, would have some sort of punishment that was always grueling and the entire offense would run extra for every penalty.  And the same went for the defense.  Any special team penalty was just added to the teams weekly sprint total.

Again, penalties are a big deal to CJL.  Why we are so penalized?  I don't know.  Part of it lies with the fact that we play such an aggressive style of play, that it is a given that you are going to occasionally get some pass interference calls and so forth.  The tough penalties to deal with are the false starts and illegal formation penalties which lies more on the shoulders of the Offensive Coordinator than anybody.

LEAVITT STILL HASN'T FIXED AN OBVIOUS PROBLEM

HE NEEDS TO HIRE DIFFERENT REFS OR DO SMETHING DIFFERENT.THE PENALTY SITUATION HASN'T BEEN FIXED AND HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR YEARS

BEING A BIG DEAL TO LEAVITT IS ONE THING

DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IS ANOTHER

kevin79-i love your loyalty to leavitt

why haven't we recruited ol man for the last 3 years

I think I saw this question on the SAT back in high school:

1 -  Penalties: USF Football

a) run: USF track

B) tackle: USF football

c) missing free throws: USF basketball (*correct answer*)

d) goal: USF soccer

You missed something there.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146

Couple reasons.  Florida unforunately is not a breeding ground for a ton of offensive linemen.  We have a million little skinny fast guys, but the good big men are hard to find.  USF got caught a couple years ago going after the top offensive linemen in the state and unfortunately FSU, UF, and UM were in positions where they could "convince" a young o-lineman that he could play early.  Because of that we lost a lot of top O-line recruits.  We did bring in some that according to recruiting "experts" were supposed to be really good that just haven't worked out.  Right now, the mindset is a combination of recruiting some 3 star offensive linemen and at the same time fill immediate needs and gain depth with good JC transfers, similar to what we did at the Offensive Tackle position last offseason.  Hopefully, we can get 1 or 2 JC interior o-linemen, and some of the younger guys can step up.  Unfortunately, OL is a very difficult position to scout potential for, aside from 5 star guys.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Penalties cost us the UCONN game.  The penalties that have continued to dog us are holding penalties away from the ball.  The 85 yard TD run at uconn that was called cost us the game.  I think we had 150 yards in penalties that game.  

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

LEAVITT STILL HASN'T FIXED AN OBVIOUS PROBLEM

HE NEEDS TO HIRE DIFFERENT REFS OR DO SMETHING DIFFERENT.THE PENALTY SITUATION HASN'T BEEN FIXED AND HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR YEARS

BEING A BIG DEAL TO LEAVITT IS ONE THING

DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IS ANOTHER

kevin79-i love your loyalty to leavitt

.... and yet, everyone on here continues to worship this clown.  sure, he can draw up a play for andre to run down the sidelines, but its pointless when its nulified because of a holding call.. and we sign leavitt to a 7 year extension

7 more years of "what couldve been" because leavitt refuses to clean up the penalties.. he cost us the uconn game and he cost us a big east championship game at home because of his neglect

Guest tulderbull

Smazza if and when did you play at USF I am fairly new to the board, but what the Hell are you talking abou the offense had to run for penalties.  When I was there the offense ran nowhere near as much as the defense, for anything,  If we won a game 10-7 and the offense played horrible and defense did great the D would always be out there and the O would never run near as much as the D.  Plan and simple.  On top of that all the time on Wed during the 2 minute drill everytime there would be a penalty on the offense, It would be ignored, hell I have seen times the OL jumped or a receiver went offsides and the called it on the defense after the play b/c the Offense didn't get the first down.  That happened all the time.    I think part of the problem with the offense is they are allowed to get away with a lot during practice,  The defense has it 5 times as hard.  penalties running after practice, and leavitt always on them.  The D is trained to basically be like attack dogs, while the Offense is living in a house with maids that do everything for them.