• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bianchi Tops the Locals

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

21 hours ago, CousinRicky said:
22 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

I was one of the fools that called Mike White a future NFL QB after watching him play on the road against Houston on Halloween. Lol

Pretty sure I was at that game. Remember a bunch of people being in costume. We came disguised as USF fans.

I was another who survived the Texas flood that day and left the game with a glimmer of the Great White Hope.  Didn't exactly work out for us, however.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,722
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

I was another who survived the Texas flood that day and left the game with a glimmer of the Great White Hope.  Didn't exactly work out for us, however.

If this is the game I'm thinking of, we sat with Zach Pietrzyk's parents (former USF pitcher) and spent some time in the box with Doug, Judy and provost Wilcox. Game Doug a ride to the airport after the game.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

I’ll also add that there is zero justification in the internet age for the Times to prioritize coverage of any other college athletic program besides USF. Pre-internet, they could argue that, but if I live in Tampa or St. Pete and I follow UF or FSU, my first stop online is the Gainesville Sun or the Tallahassee Democrat. They have much more extensive coverage of those schools than the Times. The Times should, likewise, focus on its hometown school. But this goes back to my previous post - the Times (selectively) doesn’t see itself as “Tampa Bay’s” newspaper.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

17 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Times (selectively) doesn’t see itself as “Tampa Bay’s” newspaper.

They are being silly geese.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

20 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

They are being silly geese.

They are also missing on a chance to be more relevant.  Why turn off potential customers? 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

So much like a local.  Pretends that when the Bulls were doing well they did their jobs.  Instead of taking the feedback a punch to the nuts by the local.  Rick Stroud Post:

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

14 minutes ago, Brad said:

So much like a local.  Pretends that when the Bulls were doing well they did their jobs.  Instead of taking the feedback a punch to the nuts by the local.  Rick Stroud Post:

You took my joke punchline . I was going to say he fits the profile of a local and typical USF alumni.

More proof about the Times’ position on USF football: One of the first - if not the first - opinion pieces on USF football published by the Times way back in 1995-96 was by their primary sports columnist at the time, Hubert Mizell, writing about what a horrible idea it was for USF to launch a football program. I should know. I was the copy editor on the sports desk that night assigned to give it the first read. I guess some naysayers might argue today that he was right, but he certainly wasn’t for the better part of the first two decades of the program.

Could you see Bianchi doing that to UCF, or Pat Dooley doing that to UF, or Steve Ellis doing that to FSU? UF honored Dooley and Robby Andreu when they retired. Bobby Bowden said Ellis was “like a son to me” and that’s not because they were shills, they were legit journalists.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Go Bulls! 1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

They are also missing on a chance to be more relevant.  Why turn off potential customers? 

Exactly! They should “own” USF sports news. They should have such deep sources at this point that they never get scooped on a USF sports story by any national source or guys like Russ Wood.

• Go Bulls! 1