• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops roster-builder thread

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,673
  • Days Won:  424

5 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I think people don't realize is that P5 in basketball is not the same as p5 in football. Every year you see many upsets in the NCAA tournament that proves that p5 status doesn't matter in basketball. CAAR knew all of the "gems" in the ASUN conference.

That's why I used quotes. What you have in basketball are multi-bid conferences and one bid conferences ..... those are to bulky to use so just went with "P5".

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

52 minutes ago, Triple B said:

That's why I used quotes. What you have in basketball are multi-bid conferences and one bid conferences ..... those are to bulky to use so just went with "P5".

MBCs and OBCs. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  777
  • Days Won:  2

On 5/4/2023 at 12:19 PM, Triple B said:

Ok, I’m easily swayed. Looks like good pick up and hoping he lives up to the hype. 

Hey Triple B,

If you were easily swayed with the Pryor video, what do you think about the Placer video? One of the things I like to look at when I look at shooting stats is the 2P% when you remove the 3P% from overall FG%. When you do that for Harris, you see that he is shooting in the high 30s%, whereas Placer's 2P% is around 50%. That is a big difference. When you watch the video, they display the numbers at the top of the screen; it shows that he shoots 51% driving to the basket. What is impressive is that he has tremendous accuracy with ball placement so that he scores over guys that are much taller. Also check out his amazing passing.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,364
  • Days Won:  5

7 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I think people don't realize is that P5 in basketball is not the same as p5 in football. Every year you see many upsets in the NCAA tournament that proves that p5 status doesn't matter in basketball. CAAR knew all of the "gems" in the ASUN conference.

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

It may not matter "as much" but it still matters except I would probably throw the Big East in there as well for MBB.   The last non P5/Big East team to win a national title was UNLV in 1990.   Teams outside the P5 may be able to compete more in MBB and other sports (like baseball) but there is still an advantage and the P5 schools for the most part still attract more top end talent.  So snagging 3 guys off a good ASUN team may work out, but it isn't a sure thing and teams had some success with snagging guys off P5 squads that they weren't getting much playing time due to the depth of that P5 team 

Edited by olafberserker

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

I understand why these highlight videos focus  on offense but I would like to see Placer on defense.  He has offensive skills but can be guard at the next level.  That concerns me.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

53 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

It may not matter "as much" but it still matters except I would probably throw the Big East in there as well for MBB.   The last non P5/Big East team to win a national title was UNLV in 1990.   Teams outside the P5 may be able to compete more in MBB and other sports (like baseball) but there is still an advantage and the P5 schools for the most part still attract more top end talent.  So snagging 3 guys off a good ASUN team may work out, but it isn't a sure thing and teams had some success with snagging guys off P5 squads that they weren't getting much playing time due to the depth of that P5 team 

All true. And while you can find tons of great teams all over division 1 basketball, the A Sun is one of the weaker conferences. So if we got a bunch of elite Conference USA players I would feel more reassured.

Also having taken a closer look at at Kennesaw State's record last year the more worried I get since the wins they had were against teams like La Grange, SC Upstate, Brewton Parker, Eastern Kentucky, Georgia College, Queens, Central Arkansas, North Alabama, and Bellamine. Lost by 34 against San Diego State. Lost by double digits against UF and Indiana as well. Didn't have one win against a quality team

Hoping this works out, and it can but recruiting so far is sub par at best. 

Edited by belgianbull

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

All true. And while you can find tons of great teams all over division 1 basketball, the A Sun is one of the weaker conferences. So if we got a bunch of elite Conference USA players I would feel more reassured.

Also having taken a closer look at at Kennesaw State's record last year the more worried I get since the wins they had were against teams like La Grange, SC Upstate, Brewton Parker, Eastern Kentucky, Georgia College, Queens, Central Arkansas, North Alabama, and Bellamine. Lost by 34 against San Diego State. Lost by double digits against UF and Indiana as well. Didn't have one win against a quality team

Hoping this works out, and it can but recruiting so far is sub par at best. 

In trying hard to discredit the ASUN, you seem to forget that we lost to 2 ASUN teams, Stetson and Austin Peay, both of whom lost to Kennesaw State, with the latter losing by 27. Based on your argument, we would not have cut it in ASUN conference.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,051
  • Days Won:  469

18 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Based on your argument, we would not have cut it in ASUN conference.

Safe assumption.  But that’s not the goal either.  

7 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

In trying hard to discredit the ASUN, you seem to forget that we lost to 2 ASUN teams, Stetson and Austin Peay, both of whom lost to Kennesaw State, with the latter losing by 27. Based on your argument, we would not have cut it in ASUN conference.

By the way, Stetson also beat FSU. FGCU beat USC. Bellarmine beat Louisville. Liberty beat Villanova. Lipscomb beat Louisville. North Alabama beat Ole Miss. USF no wins against any teams from any top conferences. So, several teams in that conference had wins against notable programs; and Kennesaw won its conference. Seems like coach BG tried to schedule "easy" wins out of conference and it backfired. coach AAR scheduled Indiana and Florida and with a few seconds left was down one with the ball against 15th ranked Xavier. Coach Paschal used to schedule top programs, including FSU, UF, and UM each year. And coach Fernandez also schedules top programs. Just saying.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

5 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Yes but there were PLENTY of non-p5 schools on the actual title game. They just didnt close the deal

2022-ncaa-tournament-bracket-final_0.jpg

The complete list of NCAA Men's Basketball DI champions from the first...