• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hoops roster-builder thread

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Out here in AZ I know of a company that manufactures highlight videos.  They do a great job selecting what teams to film against and what portions of the game.  Many of the best highlights come against the worst teams, when they're down 20.  It makes it so much easier to have a highlight or two when the opponent is vanquished.

This is what steams me when I notice so many teams' football highlights being games against USF.🤬

• Me no likey 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, panchosanchez99 said:

And another highlight reel. He is not the fastest; however, he is still athletic enough and tall enough to make effective against more athletic players.

Hard going on just bits of film. The best way is looking at his stats. His stats are pretty similar to Tchewa's numbers, while Tchewa did it in the AAC, while Pryor did it in JUCO.

I am by no means saying that Pryor wont work out, but the highlight film doesn't sway me either way, and still feel he is a big question mark.

However still a good pickup with some potential but its to early to say whether he is going to be a homerun.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Hopefully.

It's kind of unfair to compare guys we watched all season with their mistakes indelibly burned into our memories to a 45 second hype video of the shiny new player.

Out here in AZ I know of a company that manufactures highlight videos.  They do a great job selecting what teams to film against and what portions of the game.  Many of the best highlights come against the worst teams, when they're down 20.  It makes it so much easier to have a highlight or two when the opponent is vanquished.

So what are those particular highlight films used for? Do schools even bother to use them or are they just attention getters that hook coaches to do further investigating by their own people?

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

So what are those particular highlight films used for? Do schools even bother to use them or are they just attention getters that hook coaches to do further investigating by their own people?

They are the pictures of hamburgers posted outside of fast food joints.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

8 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

They are the pictures of hamburgers posted outside of fast food joints.

Great analogy but I'm thinking coaches aren't as gullible as fast food aficionados ....

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

Hard going on just bits of film. The best way is looking at his stats. His stats are pretty similar to Tchewa's numbers, while Tchewa did it in the AAC, while Pryor did it in JUCO.

I am by no means saying that Pryor wont work out, but the highlight film doesn't sway me either way, and still feel he is a big question mark.

However still a good pickup with some potential but its to early to say whether he is going to be a homerun.

Why are you comparing a center's stats to those of a foward/guard? That is not a fair comparison. And second, I don't think that they are similar at all. Let's compare with Tchewa playing 31 minutes per game vs 28 for Pryor.

Rebounds: Tchewa 8.6   Pryor 8.0

Blocks: Tchewa 0.3   Pryor 1.4

Assists: Tchewa 0.9   Pryor 1.7

FT%: Tchewa 61.4   Pryor 79.9

3PT%: Tchewa 0.0   Pryor 35.2

So, I would not say their stats are similar. Rebounds are close; however, everything else is not. Pryor had 33% more points and almost 5x as many blocks per game (at 2" shorter). Pryor shot about 19% better at the FT line and shot 35% from long distance. And again, different positions. Even if they both played center, I would say that Pryor's stats were much better than Tchewa's if you look at the whole picture.

The player who led the nation in scoring in 2008 played in the Southern Conference. You could have argued that because he played in that conference, he would not make it in the NBA. That player was Steph Curry.

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Great analogy but I'm thinking coaches aren't as gullible as fast food aficionados ....

But if they're hungry enough....

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,045
  • Days Won:  10

7 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Why are you comparing a center's stats to those of a foward/guard? That is not a fair comparison. And second, I don't think that they are similar at all. Let's compare with Tchewa playing 31 minutes per game vs 28 for Pryor.

Rebounds: Tchewa 8.6   Pryor 8.0

Blocks: Tchewa 0.3   Pryor 1.4

Assists: Tchewa 0.9   Pryor 1.7

FT%: Tchewa 61.4   Pryor 79.9

3PT%: Tchewa 0.0   Pryor 35.2

So, I would not say their stats are similar. Rebounds are close; however, everything else is not. Pryor had 33% more points and almost 5x as many blocks per game (at 2" shorter). Pryor shot about 19% better at the FT line and shot 35% from long distance. And again, different positions. Even if they both played center, I would say that Pryor's stats were much better than Tchewa's if you look at the whole picture.

The player who led the nation in scoring in 2008 played in the Southern Conference. You could have argued that because he played in that conference, he would not make it in the NBA. That player was Steph Curry.

Good point that they play different positions so its tricky to compare stats in that regard.

But I disagree that Pryor's stats( except FT percentage) are much better then Tchewa's just based on the fact that Tchewa's numbers were against AAC competition while Pryor's numbers was against JUCO competition. Same way for example that a SEC QB with 1000  yards passing, 10 td's 5 interceptions is more impressive then a Division 2 QB with 1300 yards passing 13 td's, 4 interceptions, in my opinion.

Having said that Tchewa is gone, and Pryor is a USF bull, so I will be rooting for him, while how Tchewa performs beyond this point I don't really care. Even though I wish Tchewa the best of luck.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,733
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

College coaches and recruiters definitely go by full game films and don't care as much about the highlight reels. Hey, I'm just thrilled we are getting a dude his size with his mobility and decent stats. I certainly haven't seen any of his full games, so maybe the highlights actually DO tell the story about him? We will find out I guess... 🤘

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

8 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Hey Dave, it does not matter now because he is gone, but how can you say there were no highlights of him putting the ball on the floor and driving it to hoop, when the video opens with him doing just that? I counted at least 2 where he dribbles from half court and another two where he dribbles to the hoop from a shorter distance. Could Tchewa do that?

You saw different video of Robinson than I did. I don’t want to continue to pile on the kid and he may end up being great, but this may be the single worst highlight reel from a game I’ve ever seen for a major D1 recruit. Watch #20.

Edited by Dave_Glaser