• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Source says Mike Brey to be hired by USF

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

If there’s any truth to this - if Brey wanted the job and wasn’t offered

I doubt we ever know the real truth but there was too much from different sources to think something wasn’t there. While there may not have been a formal offer, you know money was talked and that could have been the sticking point 

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

24 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I firmly believe Brey was interested, but ultimately didn't really want to coach immediately.  Burn out is hard to overcome.  So when MK provided the offer, Brey took time and ultimately declined the offer.

We're better off not getting Brey if his heart just isn't in it.

Both sides say no offer was made.  Brey had made it clear he wanted to coach again.  

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

9 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Both sides say no offer was made.  Brey had made it clear he wanted to coach again.  

what a waste of time

this AD is horrible and looks like an idiot

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

16 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Well this took quite at turn.

the same turn  as always

where is the president in all this incompetence?

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,355
  • Days Won:  5

If this guy didn’t want to come in and grind as others have said then this is a WISE move. Need coaches that are willing to comb the local high schools and work. And teach  free throw shooting. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

40 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

Here is a hard fact for many Bulls followers to understand. Our Basketball history is bleak. Only Lee Rose 106-69 , Seth Greenberg 108-100 and Gibson 15-10 had winning records and none of those three led us to NCAA Tournament.

A young winning coach might not want to risk his momentum by coming here, so we will probably end up having to choose from an older coach that has been fired like we did with Gregory or an assistant coach with zero head coach experience as FAU did with their HC.

Its not pretty but is where we are, and while I am not 100% sold on Kelly and his hiring of coaches nor extensions, I understand the situation he is in and that it’s a two way street. Is not like why didn’t he get this guy, without thinking is that guy even interesting.

So get ready for the hire because it will be either

A) A fired HC from a major program that been struggling lately. Like Gregory

B) An Assistant at some major program with zero HC experience. Like Capko

C) A HC at a smaller program with average success, but no other suitors. Like McCullum

I am going to wait and see how all this plays out, but regardless of our history its up to Kelly to convince a great coach to come to USF, and get this thing over the finish line. He gets paid millions of dollars ( I assume), and coaching hires is the most part of his job.

We have been able to sign good, sought after coaches in the past; Holtz, Heath, and Taggart. So at some point Kelly just needs to get it done.

However , I am still hopeful  regarding Brey, and if not Brey someone of like quality, or atleast a Dusty May type.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

27 minutes ago, smazza said:

what a waste of time

this AD is horrible and looks like an idiot

Thamel said up front that no offer had been made.  How does this make him look like an idiot? Could it be possible that someone leaked incorrect info?

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

2 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I am going to wait and see how all this plays out, but regardless of our history its up to Kelly to convince a great coach to come to USF, and get this thing over the finish line. He gets paid millions of dollars ( I assume), and coaching hires is the most part of his job.

We have been able to sign good, sought after coaches in the past; Holtz, Heath, and Taggart. So at some point Kelly just needs to get it done.

However , I am still hopeful  regarding Brey, and if not Brey someone of like quality, or atleast a Dusty May type.

You mean the current Dusty May or the Dusty May that FAU hired?

Also Dusty May was 66-56 going into this year at FAU would you have been gun ho on getting him last year?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, belgianbull said:

Your assumption is correct.

We absolutely did a great job in the past, but our landscape is totally different now.  We were a major/mid major on the rise then.  Now we're facing years of mismanagement and really bad win/loss records and just about the whole country sees that now.  We can't use prior history as easily as we once could. 

From everything I've seen now, Brey more than likely isn't happening.