• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

You don't fire a coach two weeks into a season.

There are some posts/topics on here where you have to completely throw logic and common sense out the window ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

11 hours ago, CoralSpringsBull said:

We are a Florida school. Shouldn't we dominate schools from northern cold winter climates like Northeastern? I assume Mohl was  given a contract extension a couple of years ago by Michael Kelly like every South Florida coach. Another example of a terrible decision by our vice president of athletics. Most likely Mohl won;t be fired anytime soon. 

Why?  They play baseball up there too.  And that sounds like Mohl would have been extended right after our first ever trip to a Super Regional.   An extension sounds about right

Edited by olafberserker

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

Did you not see that out of the first 10 games (thru the 1st game of the Northeastern series) the team played 6 Top 25 opponents.  This team lost a lot of its star power to the draft in 2022, and 2023 seems to be that year of figuring out who slots where.

As someone said earlier in this thread, you dont fire a coach two weeks into a season.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,132
  • Days Won:  56

13 hours ago, CoralSpringsBull said:

We are a Florida school. Shouldn't we dominate schools from northern cold winter climates like Northeastern? I assume Mohl was  given a contract extension a couple of years ago by Michael Kelly like every South Florida coach. Another example of a terrible decision by our vice president of athletics. Most likely Mohl won;t be fired anytime soon. 

This is pretty much a myth at this point - that Florida produces better baseball talent because of the weather. If we do, that talent is drafted and doesn’t play college ball. But I just don’t see it. I see a good bit of high school baseball in my area and there’s nothing special about the talent. There used to be. But the kids are playing youth soccer now instead of little league and lacrosse is becoming the hot spring sport in high school for boys NOT baseball. As a huge baseball guy myself, it’s a shame.

• Upvote 1

Line up flipped all over the place today (positions and order) including Cothren getting his first start.   Definitely appears that Mohl is trying to figure things out

2 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

This is pretty much a myth at this point - that Florida produces better baseball talent because of the weather. If we do, that talent is drafted and doesn’t play college ball. But I just don’t see it. I see a good bit of high school baseball in my area and there’s nothing special about the talent. There used to be. But the kids are playing youth soccer now instead of little league and lacrosse is becoming the hot spring sport in high school for boys NOT baseball. As a huge baseball guy myself, it’s a shame.

Just FYI, I watched the baseball opener yesterday of the school where I work - a private school - vs. one of the local public schools and I noted to my colleague that there were MAYBE two kids on the field who could have started on my high school team in upstate New York. 

17 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Just FYI, I watched the baseball opener yesterday of the school where I work - a private school - vs. one of the local public schools and I noted to my colleague that there were MAYBE two kids on the field who could have started on my high school team in upstate New York. 

Not exactly 2 of the top teams in the area

23 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I agree that more kids play lacrosse and soccer now a days but not enough to terribly cut into the baseball talent I don't think.   Bigger issues I'd say:

1. End of little league baseball.  Travel ball killing any inkling of fundamentals.  

2.  Northern areas are building more and more indoor facilities so while it isn't the same as Florida, many areas can still train much of the year.  By the same token about travel ball, I think this has helped some of those northern areas because they can now travel and compete against top talent from other areas.

3.  And as I've said before, schools come from all over the country to recruit plus as you said some of that talent gets drafted

9 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Not exactly 2 of the top teams in the area

Agreed, but if the Florida talent is supposed to be that deep, I don’t see it. And, we weren’t a baseball powerhouse in Albany, N.Y., BTW.  🙂

Edited by Dave_Glaser

Cothren all over the place in the top of the first - two wild pitches - and we’re already down 2-0.