• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls lose to Florida, 6-1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Tough night.  A close 2-1 ballgame turned into a 6-1 laugher in the 9th.  A few thoughts:  Jack Cebert pitched well.  Ethan Brown pitched well.  Riley Skeen pitched well but CBM left him in too long and it cost him with 2 solo homers.  Mink 24 scares the he'll out of me as our closer.  Offensively we didn't do anything aside from scoring in the 1st on a gift of an errant routine throw.  We would have been shutout tonight without that error.  No hitting whatsoever.  Scary part was we were down 1 in the bottom of the 8th with our best hitters up and we didn't look like we wanted to swing.  Brutcher takes a 3rd strike on an off speed pitch.  Boser is up 3-1 and takes 2 fastballs right down the middle for the strikeout.  Brodil then goes down quickly.  If these guys aren't producing we're sunk.  Coach has some work to do.  Let's see how we do at FAU this weekend, but it's not looking very promising to me at this point

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,354
  • Days Won:  5

You may be right, but it's really tough to make assumptions based on these two series and while FAU may be a better gauge it's still a long way to go.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Maybe so, only time will tell.  I'm just not impressed so far.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,352

44 minutes ago, JoeB said:

Tough night.  A close 2-1 ballgame turned into a 6-1 laugher in the 9th.  A few thoughts:  Jack Cebert pitched well.  Ethan Brown pitched well.  Riley Skeen pitched well but CBM left him in too long and it cost him with 2 solo homers.  Mink 24 scares the he'll out of me as our closer.  Offensively we didn't do anything aside from scoring in the 1st on a gift of an errant routine throw.  We would have been shutout tonight without that error.  No hitting whatsoever.  Scary part was we were down 1 in the bottom of the 8th with our best hitters up and we didn't look like we wanted to swing.  Brutcher takes a 3rd strike on an off speed pitch.  Boser is up 3-1 and takes 2 fastballs right down the middle for the strikeout.  Brodil then goes down quickly.  If these guys aren't producing we're sunk.  Coach has some work to do.  Let's see how we do at FAU this weekend, but it's not looking very promising to me at this point

Off night, it sounds. They will learn. Let’s GO BULLS.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,883
  • Days Won:  67

Shocker we suck, next year maybe 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,352

Maybe we should rebrand ourselves as the Cubs of the South. 

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, JoeB said:

Maybe so, only time will tell.  I'm just not impressed so far.

Still way too early to even give proper judgement.  The team's played 4 games, all against Top 15 ranked teams.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,130
  • Days Won:  56

I was not at all bothered by last night’s effort. Offensively, we are behind and not seeing the ball very well. We’re taking strikes and swinging at balls. I think our hitters (looking at you especially, Drew) are good enough that they’ll start to dial in better as the season progresses. We’re not going to face this type of pitching all year.

I was hugely encouraged by Cebert, Brown and Skeen - especially Cebert. His control was really good after that being a major struggle last year as a freshman. Tanner Mink is pitching his way out of the rotation, but that’s OK. Hunter Mink and Hudi looked good last weekend, Cebert, Brown and Skeen last night. Also really liked the freshman Jackson last weekend. Another couple of weeks and we should be able to start fitting these guys into roles. It looks much better than the pitching staff of a year ago after Jasiak’s injury.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

It was a bad night on offense this lineup can hit. My worry is that we are going to be hoping for outs. They held together better than expected through 8 but that might say more about UF first couple times through the order than our pitching performance. 

PSA. Midweeks are crap shoots 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,130
  • Days Won:  56

We know this lineup will come around, so let’s take a closer look at the pitching. Guys are defining roles early on and this is what I see: Hunter Mink, Hudi, Brown, Cebert, Skeen, Dorsey and Jackson have combined to pitch 22.1 innings so far. They’ve allowed eight earned runs, struck out 24 and walked seven. And that’s against stacked lineups for Maryland and UF. That’s encouraging. Guys like Tanner Mink, Dietz, Pundsack and maybe Grause can pitch themselves out of future innings early or pick up the pace if they want to stay in the mix.