• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Serious request

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,647
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I’m in my early 40’s and mostly work from home and have no small children to look after and I wouldn’t even consider taking care of my wife for a few hours. I would have checked her directly into a rehab facility from the hospital. The thought of doing it myself wouldn’t have ever even crossed my mind as being an option, if I didn’t know better I would think this may mean she is right and I may actually be the problem.

I am not quite 40 yet a few years to go and don't work from home unfortunately. I wish it were an option. So when I go to work after a few days I am assuming there will be hired caregivers for a few hours. She will have a week off to recovery then transition to working from home for a few weeks.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

21 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Wanted to update you guys. My wife's left wrist has been in a brace instead of cast for the past couple of weeks. Been doing a little therapy on it. Fingers are moving and can bring all the fingers to her thumb except for pinkie.

She had an operation on March 9th to remove the rods and pins in the heel/ankle. Came home with a splint and had a cast put on the following week. Went back to the doc yesterday and x-rays showed some bone growth.  Had the cast taken off her leg and is now in a removable boot so she got to get into the shower for the first time in 8 weeks. A bit of a project but we got it done. 

Still non weight bearing for at least the next 5 weeks. Can't lie that being a caregiver for everything is exhausting. But I've discovered that my cooking doesn't suck and the laundry at least smells clean 😃 A surprising thing is that I'm drinking less, not more. Can't afford to get too drowsy but still managing to have a little bourbon or wine now and then.

Doctor reminded us we've come a long way but that there is still a very long way to go in this process.

Sorry you are going through this Cuz and even sorrier for your better half, I would support my wife the same and pretty confident she would reciprocate.  I am sending good thoughts your way. 

• Like 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

Caregiving is an exhausting full time job plus that no one can ever imagine doing until it happens. I hope your wife’s recovery continues and you are able to get some rest.   I continue to pray for both of you daily.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

I’m in my early 40’s and mostly work from home and have no small children to look after and I wouldn’t even consider taking care of my wife for a few hours. I would have checked her directly into a rehab facility from the hospital. The thought of doing it myself wouldn’t have ever even crossed my mind as being an option, if I didn’t know better I would think this may mean she is right and I may actually be the problem.

We thought of going the rehab route for the first week or so. But either someone at the hospital or with the doctor's office told us that many of those places aren't as good as the patient being home. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

We thought of going the rehab route for the first week or so. But either someone at the hospital or with the doctor's office told us that many of those places aren't as good as the patient being home. 

My wife works in health care and they are correct about that.

1 hour ago, Outlaw said:

I am not quite 40 yet a few years to go and don't work from home unfortunately. I wish it were an option. So when I go to work after a few days I am assuming there will be hired caregivers for a few hours. She will have a week off to recovery then transition to working from home for a few weeks.

We had a home health care aide come a few times , whatever the insurance was paying for, and she was useless. Since we couldn't get the casts wet we resorted to washing her hair at the laundry tub. This lady did it and when I went in the laundry room afterwards I had a minor flood. Not a large area but had to clean the floor and move the washer. What a pain. Our insurance only covered twice a week each for the nurse, PT, OT and the aide.

I turn 68 tomorrow so this 💩 isn't easy.

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

We had a home health care aide come a few times , whatever the insurance was paying for, and she was useless. Since we couldn't get the casts wet we resorted to washing her hair at the laundry tub. This lady did it and when I went in the laundry room afterwards I had a minor flood. Not a large area but had to clean the floor and move the washer. What a pain. Our insurance only covered twice a week each for the nurse, PT, OT and the aide.

I turn 68 tomorrow so this 💩 isn't easy.

Sounds like you earn a few sips of good bourbon.

55 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Sorry you are going through this Cuz and even sorrier for your better half, I would support my wife the same and pretty confident she would reciprocate.  I am sending good thoughts your way. 

My wife has nursed me thru 2 hip replacements, the prostate surgery and the melanoma. A little different in that I could use my hands and didn't need a wheelchair but she took good care of me.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

Sounds like you earn a few sips of good bourbon.

Problem is I'm running out of good bourbon but have plenty that are good enough.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

The thought of doing it myself wouldn’t have ever even crossed my mind as being an option,

Probably not hers either ...... unless she has a death wish.

• Haha 1