• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good Road Win For Men’s Hoops on ESPN2 Today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

20 hours ago, olafberserker said:

What progress?

Baseball won the regional in '21.   Not in the same boat as FB or MBB

For sure, but I expected them to be much better last season and build off the momentum.  We also got hot at the right time in the tournament year and had a less than mediocre season prior, but really that's all that matters in the end. 

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

On 1/16/2023 at 3:57 PM, belgianbull said:

Yes, the AAC should be a decent conference next year.

as compared to what?

aac is losing better teams than are coming in

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

28 minutes ago, smazza said:

as compared to what?

aac is losing better teams than are coming in

No doubt this new AAC is watered down compared to the old AAC, and our goal within the next 4-7 years is to be either admitted in the ACC  or Big 12.

However for next year with a great Tulane team, a top 25 UTSA team, and good Memphis, SMU, UAB teams, this conference will at least for next year still be competitive in football

UAB, Charlotte, FAU, Rice are decent enough of additions so that the AAC in basketball will still be decent enough as well; at least short term. Memphis and Temple are still first class programs in basketball.

We need to get our act together in football and basketball as quickly as possible since some of these teams in the AAC might  already have surpassed us ( Memphis , SMU , Tulane) or  could surpass us really quickly if we don't start winning soon; and that would mean an even weaker AAC conference if those teams leave us behind in conference realignment.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

7 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

No doubt this new AAC is watered down compared to the old AAC, and our goal within the next 4-7 years is to be either admitted in the ACC  or Big 12.

However for next year with a great Tulane team, a top 25 UTSA team, and good Memphis, SMU, UAB teams, this conference will at least for next year still be competitive in football

UAB, Charlotte, FAU, Rice are decent enough of additions so that the AAC in basketball will still be decent enough as well; at least short term. Memphis and Temple are still first class programs in basketball.

We need to get our act together in football and basketball as quickly as possible since some of these teams in the AAC might  already have surpassed us ( Memphis , SMU , Tulane) or  could surpass us really quickly if we don't start winning soon; and that would mean an even weaker AAC conference if those teams leave us behind in conference realignment.

I will take exception with Temple being a first-class basketball program. They haven't won a single NCAA tournament game since joining the AAC, making the First Four once (and losing) and losing once as a 10 seed. They have tradition, but they are not a relevant program at the present, which is a shame given the rich basketball tradition in Philly. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

17 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I will take exception with Temple being a first-class basketball program. They haven't won a single NCAA tournament game since joining the AAC, making the First Four once (and losing) and losing once as a 10 seed. They have tradition, but they are not a relevant program at the present, which is a shame given the rich basketball tradition in Philly. 

I agree that Temple is down right now, but historically they do have 33 NCAA tournament appearances, but yes recently they haven't been as successful .

Maybe a bit like Wichita State right now, great record historically, but less so recently.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

3 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I agree that Temple is down right now, but historically they do have 33 NCAA tournament appearances, but yes recently they haven't been as successful .

Maybe a bit like Wichita State right now, great record historically, but less so recently.

I understand what you are saying. I was shocked to see how truly mediocre, and at time bad, they have been since joining the AAC. They have 2 NCAA wins in the last 20 years, and even lost in the tournament to USF. They really haven't been nationally relevant since 2001. 

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,465
  • Days Won:  43

50 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I understand what you are saying. I was shocked to see how truly mediocre, and at time bad, they have been since joining the AAC. They have 2 NCAA wins in the last 20 years, and even lost in the tournament to USF. They really haven't been nationally relevant since 2001. 

Which is one of the many reasons that USF hoops need to start winning before those traditional programs like Temple start waking up 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,364
  • Days Won:  5

Welcome to Tampa coach:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0311%2Fr984751_1

Longtime Notre Dame coach Mike Brey plans to step down at the end of the 2022-23 season.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,166
  • Days Won:  56

14 hours ago, olafberserker said:

Welcome to Tampa coach:

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0311%2Fr984751_1

Longtime Notre Dame coach Mike Brey plans to step down at the end of the 2022-23 season.

Wouldn't THAT be a great hire? I'm sure he's taking some type of administrative role at ND.