• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Opinion: USF Football 2022 Season Preview

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

2 wins to 5 is unlikely

I don't know about that one.  I thought a lot of our "jank" was based on the flow of how plays were getting in and making the right move at the right time.  It seemed like a feel thing to me.  Maybe that is a little too "woo-woo energy crystals" of an analysis, but that was the vibe I was getting from the playcalling last year.  As for the defense they would step up and be very solid at times and totally collapse in others.  Things were often very close, so I don't see a major tightening up needed to go from 2 to 5.  Maybe just getting sharper and better on execution on top of cycling in new key players will work to close that gap.  Every improvement with a player here, and a playcall there could easily add up to a few more wins.  To be truly great is another matter, but when we turn the corner I think that's when you will see the mental toughness of this group clamp down for the long haul.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

37 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

I don't know about that one.  I thought a lot of our "jank" was based on the flow of how plays were getting in and making the right move at the right time.  It seemed like a feel thing to me.  Maybe that is a little too "woo-woo energy crystals" of an analysis, but that was the vibe I was getting from the playcalling last year.  As for the defense they would step up and be very solid at times and totally collapse in others.  Things were often very close, so I don't see a major tightening up needed to go from 2 to 5.  Maybe just getting sharper and better on execution on top of cycling in new key players will work to close that gap.  Every improvement with a player here, and a playcall there could easily add up to a few more wins.  To be truly great is another matter, but when we turn the corner I think that's when you will see the mental toughness of this group clamp down for the long haul.  

I was saying going from 2 to 5 is unlikely. But not impossible….

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,562
  • Days Won:  28

58 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Please….Decisions are made on trends and trends are based on past data so what I’m telling you is not false arrogance. To jump from 2 wins to 5 is unlikely but going from 2 to 8 or something crazy is just drinking the cool aid and is nothing more than propaganda. My perspective at least has some quantitative reason, yours is based on hope. 

"Trends are based on past data". So basically you are basing your prediction off of last year's team that had players who are no longer on this team (Including a true freshman QB), as well as a DC and OC that are no longer on this team? 🤣 Yes, that is definitely using more "reliable" data for a prediction. Where i actually took the time 2 learn about our "current" players, watched their film, read up on them and etc. In the end, we both have "predictions". Mine are based on our current team and yours is based on a bunch of players and coaches that are no longer on our team. 

Edited by Gatorbull325

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I was saying going from 2 to 5 is unlikely. But not impossible….

Yet some think that if we don't go to a bowl this year, we start over again ...... which is a ******* ridiculous take and isn't going to happen bar something unforeseen. I have no idea what our record will end up being, just hope to see some significant progress heading into 2023.

23 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

"Trends are based on past data". So basically you are basing your prediction off of last year's team that had players who are no longer on this team (Including a true freshman QB), as well as a DC and OC that are no longer on this team? 🤣 Yes, that is definitely using more "reliable" data for a prediction. Where i actually took the time 2 learn about our "current" players, watched their film, read up on them and etc. Go ahead and be stuck in the past all you want my friend. Im enjoying the present moment. 

So you are basing your prediction on a bunch of coaches who were let go or demoted before coming to here and a bunch of players who were not good enough to make their own team? 😂 So who cares if you looked them up and watched their film, they were still not cutting it, and in terms of your player analysis, you see what you want you to want to see, and it is through green glasses (and its not like you are a professional evaluator of talent either). I never heard you say that any of them were "not" any good or "did not play well in certain situation",  which is simply disingenuous with your analysis. Sure what is comming may be better but better than what? A 2-12 team? Ok...but is it better than the other 10 teams we played and lost to last year? Do you think that they just sat around and did nothing as we added? Further, in terms of players from last year, the nucleus is still coming back, so yeah, I'll still base my comments on last year’s team as it still has relevancy. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yet some think that if we don't go to a bowl this year, we start over again ...... which is a ******* ridiculous take and isn't going to happen bar something unforeseen. I have no idea what our record will end up being, just hope to see some significant progress heading into 2023.

I think that is wrong. But I do feel he better get to five. Only winning four games is a whole lot of losing and people will start to drop like flies.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,097
  • Days Won:  39

9 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

"Trends are based on past data". So basically you are basing your prediction off of last year's team that had players who are no longer on this team (Including a true freshman QB), as well as a DC and OC that are no longer on this team? 🤣 Yes, that is definitely using more "reliable" data for a prediction. Where i actually took the time 2 learn about our "current" players, watched their film, read up on them and etc. Go ahead and be stuck in the past all you want my friend. Im enjoying the present moment. 

Right.  The changes are definitely big enough to have an immediate impact and translate to more wins.  Or it could stall out and be nothing 😄.  It's a glass half full or empty situation.  I think the QB move was a fantastic gamble even if it doesn't pan out.  They couldn't have picked a better guy.  The coaching staff changes needed to happen IMO.  That's the kind of aggressiveness you would hope to see where THIS year matters.  

Again to me if I end up being depressed for 80% of the season I would rather have the nostalgia of being excited again for a least a couple weeks.  It's been pretty unwatchable for at least a few years.

54 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Perfect example of that was Tulsa and UCF, 2 games lost in the last minute of the game. There are fine lines between winning and losing at times and hopefully we're better suited this year to be on the right side of that line more often this year ...

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think that is wrong. But I do feel he better get to five. Only winning four games is a whole lot of losing and people will start to drop like flies.

Two plays from four wins last year so hopefully the changes made kick in sooner rather than later, but we'll see ....

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Two plays from four wins last year so hopefully the changes made kick in sooner rather than later, but we'll see ....

Agreed and that is why I think this team can climb to 6 if things bounce right and we stay injury free…but 5 is most likely.