• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First UCF, Now FAU..... Jeez.....

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

my concern is with the USF message board community not caring that there are no plans for an on campus stadium--

...and given the back-and-forth on this issue, you continue to beat the subject like a rented mule? And why are you so concerned about the USF message board community? Why does this keep you awake nights...pacing the floor...wringing your hands and wailing "why...oh why do these bulletin board posters not embrace my wisdom?"

Bottom Line: you'd have made a great cheerleader. And if you're as committed to this as you allege...again...please post the gist of your conference call with someone who has some real muscle (Genshaft or Woolard...either one will do).  It should be obvious - by now - that all we're going to do is volley this thing back and forth indefinately. And if that's what you want...well....we got nothing but time and unlimited internet connectivity.  8)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

cee-nobody has sailing facilities like usf

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Office of the president

President's Biography

brogan2.jpg

Frank T Brogan

Frank T. Brogan became the fifth president of Florida Atlantic University in March 2003. Previously, he was lieutenant governor of Florida , the state's commissioner of education, superintendent of schools in Martin County, Florida, and a principal, assistant principal, dean and fifth-grade teacher in Martin County public schools.

President Brogan and his twin brother, John, were born in Cincinnati , the youngest of six children. The first member of his family to graduate from college, President Brogan received a bachelor's degree in education magna cum laude from the University of Cincinnati in 1976. Two years later, he moved to Florida to teach at Port Salerno Elementary School on the Treasure Coast . He continued his education at Florida Atlantic University , earning a master's degree in education in 1981. In rapid succession, he became dean of students at Indiantown Middle School, assistant principal and then principal at Murray Middle School, Martin County's superintendent of schools, Florida's Commissioner of Education (the youngest person ever to hold that office), and, in 1999, lieutenant governor on the Bush-Brogan ticket. He had just been elected to a second term as lieutenant governor when he decided to seek the presidency of his alma mater, Florida Atlantic University .

President Brogan has been a champion of public education all his life. He considers his most important achievement as commissioner of education to have been building greater accountability into Florida 's public school system, and he is a strong advocate of accountability in higher education as well. His goals for Florida Atlantic University include supporting its continued growth as an important center of teaching, research and public service activities; increasing access to higher education across the University's seven-county service region; encouraging diversity in FAU's student body, faculty and staff; supporting world-class research initiatives; fostering close, mutually supportive relationships with the communities the University serves; and making FAU an ever-stronger engine of economic development for South Florida.

In addition to championing education, President Brogan has served as a leader for other important causes. During the past few years, he has become especially involved in the fight against cancer - a disease that claimed the life of his first wife, Mary. He has used his remarkable speaking ability to crusade in the fight against breast cancer, and he currently serves as statewide chairman of Florida 's Dialogue on Cancer. He has received a public service award from the Pioneers in Prostate Cancer.

President Brogan is married to Courtney S. Brogan, who has a law degree from Florida State University . They are the parents of Colby John Brogan, born in 2005.  

Just in case you didn't realize that FAU is the most politically connected university in the state.

I've been saying that for months. I remember that idiot guru/stk character telling me that UCF would have a medical school before FAU and I just laughed at him. He had no idea who Frank Brogan was and what he has meant to FAU.

Since he has been in office, FAU has added The Scripps Institute and a new medical school, been able to increase student fees and is in the midst of a building boom on campus. Brogan is a big reason why....it never hurts to be connected. Much like Betty Castor's connection help propel USF to where we are today.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  701
  • Days Won:  0

a dome is florida is as gay as a picnic basket... play it outside where it's meant to be played!

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

ok...

i did my best to read all the posts but didnt feel like reading every sentence...specially from this Cee charcter.

however,

one thing i didnt see mentioned (and i am in no way agreeing with Cee) but...there was a lot of talk saying how FAU would be losing 30 years worth of profits from this stadium.  But, I didn't see anyone mention the spike in enrollment that is most likely to occur with a successful on-campus stadium and good college enviroment.

now, i do think that USF would be foolish to rush into an on-campus stadium at this point, and i do not think that FAU is in anyway, shape, or form going to compete against USF for recruits anytime soon.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

FAU better be more concerned with whether they will have a football program in 5 more years.   Dismal attendance, an aging coach with the impossible dream and playing in the lame SBC...I applaud their vision, but come on.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

on campus stadiums are over-rated unless you are winning on the field.

Houston has great facilities for all their sports on top of a relatively recent tradition of winning and Heisman Trophy winners. Yet they can't draw flies and their program is in the red.

In contrast, Miami has a rotten, old battleship for a stadium with the most modern amenity being running water in most bathrooms yet they have 5 MNCs and enjoy nationwide support.

Bottom line, is that an on campus stadium only  matters if you are winning and are playing worthwhile BCS level competition.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Greater enrollment because of an on-campus stadium?

What are you basing this on?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Bottom line, is that an on campus stadium only  matters if you are winning and are playing worthwhile BCS level competition.

Actually, to me, it appears to be just the opposite. An on campus stadium only really matters if you're losing and playing sub-par cpmpetition. Those yahoos to the northeast are the perfect example. That's all we've been hearing for the last year is about their OCS. Why? Because that's all they had going for them.

On campus stadiums, to some like us, are a luxury, to be addressed when the time is right. To others it's a necessity, for self esteem purposes....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I'll assume I know everything about "cee" like they assume they know everythig about what is the perfect course of action for USF to take. Bare in mind, I have given the thought of an on campus stadium considerable thought so the results may not be very fair to cee.

Here's the problem.

Now I went to USF and graduated with a degree in Finance and I studied very hard and learned all I could. I continue to this day to work with numbers and have an excellent grasp of RETURN ON INVESTMENT, CASH FLOW, DEBT SERVICE, and OBTAINING PROPER CAPITAL NEEDED TO FUND PROJECTS.

Those are REAL WORLD items-- things that aren't opinion or random thoughts.

While I have never met this person, the IMPRESSION I get from "cee" is that of a C student in liberal arts or perhaps art history. Someone who might not have to work or gets by on mommy and daddys money and wants the new car or the new stadium that he deserves-- because DARN IT-- I want to be free to run wild on the field and tear down the occasional GOAL POST.

Look bud-- life is an equation. Your lack of understanding of the situation boggles my mind. It's simple-- it costs USF (not 50K, more like 125K if the numbers are the same as quoted several years ago-- perhaps t changed)-- very little to rent a TOP NOTCH facility where they MAKE MONEY SELLING TICKETS far more so than SELLING COCA COLAS.

They get a chunk of change for alumni who pay for the parking through them. They get some other money from advertising that is placed along ALL THE WALL OF THE STADIUM (covering "Booger's Bunch" and whatnot/whatever).

This program is IN THE BLACK (i.e. making a profit)-- even if our numbers are dropping to weak noon sparsely attended games.

While YES-- we do want a stadium on campus SOME DAY, we know we are NOT EVEN CLOSE to raising the funds necessary to even think about doing the porject.

THINK about it this way-- we financed an $18 million dolllar athletic facility (FACT). That's known as a debt service-- something you have to pay for like a loan. Just like when your mom pays your car payment-- it costs money. That's less money she has to pay for your clothing allowance or to support your crack habit (ok-- that was put in ther for comic relief-- because quite frankly-- you have exhausted my patience with countless threads and other nonsense exclaiming you know what USF REALLY NEEDS).

Nope-- it's a pretty simple thing. We have a budget, not an open checkbook. And how the other schools decide to do this has VERY LITTLE to do with what USF should do. We have a plan, we have options, we have a place to play that is state of the art with ZERO YEARLY MAINTENANCE, DEBT SERVICE, or occupying LIMITED UNIVERSITY PROPERTY.

Yeah-- let's knock down the greek housing we just built-- BRILLIANT. That will make it seem less like a COMMUTER SCHOOL.

See the problem is that you believe the myth of the "traditional college" that you've seen elsewhere-- that every Big Time school should have this cookie cutter image of certain aspects. That works for some - BUT - we are in Tampa--- a real city, a real nice place to live. And USF is a real school with real growth and it's own grat things to be proud of. Whether or not Suzy Bitchface from Enormous Traditional University thinks we are "worthy" or not is not important to anyone but Suzy. Take pride in your school and how things are done. Get off your ass and get your buddies to head down to RJS and watch a football game.

for 5 or 6 or 7 times a season, it's the LEAST they can do. And on those 360 or 359 or 358 days when we do not need to be at the stadium particularly, we can rejoice in the fact that we are not paying for the upkeep, the immense cost to build a behemoth that is not even slightly as nice as the one we play in today.

Do I care if USF gets an ON CAMPUS STADIUM--- hell yeah I do. If I had 200 million laying around, I'd find a way to make it so and we'd be playing on MikeG field next season. The fact is simple-- way to early to even worry about it.

Please find a new horse to beat-- this dead one is now so pulverized that it has become simply one large red stain.

yours very truly---

Good Old MikeG

BA-- Finance '89

MBA- ISDS '92

PS--- You know what we really need?  A fact sheet on this website that explains both the pros, cons, and common misperceptions about an on campus stadium-- along with a realistic viewpoiint/ time table as to when we would ever get one.

PPS-- please take some of this as tongue in cheek. But really-- give it a rest already.