• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sugar Shane - Opening Day Starter

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,261
  • Days Won:  1

Shane went 4.1 innings allowing 0 runs on 4 hits and struck out 7. Rays won but Shane didn’t get the decision 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

He threw some nasty stuff.  

• Topic Count:  962
  • Content Count:  9,762
  • Days Won:  9

Got into trouble and wiggled out of it in the 1st.  But the pitch count in that inning cost him later in the game.  Probably wouldn't have mattered much as the Rays didn't score for him.  His off speed stuff was nasty today

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Was he this good when he was with us? 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, DELdaBull said:

Was he this good when he was with us? 

Couldn't find the strike zone often enough. Always had high pitch counts. The arm was always good.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Couldn't find the strike zone often enough. Always had high pitch counts. The arm was always good.

This was a thing for a year... you sound like a "hater."

23 hours ago, JoeB said:

\But the pitch count in that inning cost him later in the game

Sounds like his entire career at USF in a sentence. Or at least, his overall pitch count cost him later in the game...

I don't think he threw more than 7 innings in his entire USF career. But, I'm going to go look now so I can beat whoever is dying to call me an *******.

Edit: It is too much work to fact check. Have at it. I'm going on complete emotion and hazy memory from years ago. I roll with Shane not having thrown 7+ innings in a single game at any point in his career at USF. 

Edited by JTrue

34 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Sounds like his entire career at USF in a sentence. Or at least, his overall pitch count cost him later in the game...

I don't think he threw more than 7 innings in his entire USF career. But, I'm going to go look now so I can beat whoever is dying to call me an *******.

Edit: It is too much work to fact check. Have at it. I'm going on complete emotion and hazy memory from years ago. I roll with Shane not having thrown 7+ innings in a single game at any point in his career at USF. 

I fact checked myself. He went 7 innings 4 times in his career at USF. Probably sat in the realm of 5+ average innings per start (without doing the math but looking at his game logs). I'm well documented as saying he'd be better served as a middle reliever in the majors. He found the right organization to maximize his skill set and the changing tide for starters in MLB. And for the haters, I never said he'd never make it. Just said he needs to be more efficient. But, that doesn't matter these days overall, and definitely not for the Rays. Keep pumping in the high 90s and let it ride for however long you can before hitting your 80 or so pitch count. Turn it over to the bullpen. That's pretty much the bar for a starter these days and Shane can handle that and do it very well.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,719
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, JTrue said:

This was a thing for a year... you sound like a "hater."

Hater? No.