• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Looking for ex-college football players input

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

2 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

Was all about the Lane Train... it would have been a nice coup for USF... but they decided they needed to pay a committee to make the selection vice using common sense.

I'm curious - why do AD's make hundreds of thousands of dollars, yet let other people make the most important decisions that have an impact on their careers? I personally select the people for strategic positions that have a direct impact on my income - and yes, I'm not making Mike Kelly money (yet), however I make enough money where I'm concerned if my hire isn't producing. The fact we outsource our coaching hires is quite baffling with a for-profit business.

2 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Outsourcing searches & hiring: We now live in a world where we can be convinced that that guy with a certificate, based on said certificate, is better (however that's defined) than we are at making the critical decisions. Hey, if it works in private industry, there's no reason why it won't at Alma Mater Sports, Inc. But, there's always the added bonus of a PR safety net: "Hey, I'm just going with what the experts, and you know how smart they are, said! We paid good money for that research! I can't believe this didn't work out. Well, we know next time to go with [insert consulting firm name here], another proven leader!". Just another day in the twenty-first century office. 👿

I thought part of it was not having to publicize who the coaching candidates, or president of the university, were. Anything the school does is public record.  These outsourced companies can contact people without word getting out on every one of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

As a dad I went through the process when my son was in high school. It started in his 10th grade year and went from there. Coaches called repeatedly to talk to me and to my son. He was a big tight end out of a 6A FL high school so he had a lot of interest. There were letters from at least 30 colleges some large and some in the mid level. He went on a few visits. I went on one with him to NC State(would have been my choice) Problem was, a lot of this attention went to his head which affected his attitude and his grades (BMOC). Calls and promises were endless day and night. Point: 16yr old kid being heavily recruited, lots of ego boosting talk.  His grades fell in his senior year. Major schools at that point bailed. Mid level came in and he ended up in Illinois. First season blew out his knee. Later he got a chance from Spurrier at UF to walk on but his knee was shot and he lost heart. Point: All of that process took its toll on a young guy. My hat's off to any of these kids that go through the recruiting process (for years) and keep their head on straight. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

7 hours ago, BulledOver said:

As a dad I went through the process when my son was in high school. It started in his 10th grade year and went from there. Coaches called repeatedly to talk to me and to my son. He was a big tight end out of a 6A FL high school so he had a lot of interest. There were letters from at least 30 colleges some large and some in the mid level. He went on a few visits. I went on one with him to NC State(would have been my choice) Problem was, a lot of this attention went to his head which affected his attitude and his grades (BMOC). Calls and promises were endless day and night. Point: 16yr old kid being heavily recruited, lots of ego boosting talk.  His grades fell in his senior year. Major schools at that point bailed. Mid level came in and he ended up in Illinois. First season blew out his knee. Later he got a chance from Spurrier at UF to walk on but his knee was shot and he lost heart. Point: All of that process took its toll on a young guy. My hat's off to any of these kids that go through the recruiting process (for years) and keep their head on straight. 

Great story. Keeping kids grounded can’t be easy. 

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

8 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I thought part of it was not having to publicize who the coaching candidates, or president of the university, were. Anything the school does is public record.  These outsourced companies can contact people without word getting out on every one of them.

Thanks for the explanation. I would still think we could communicate via normal phone conversations initially - these AD’s know how to get a coach’s number.

I’m trying to pull someone to my company as we speak to replace my current position - nothing has been in email with the individual. Initial contact was me calling him directly. If interest isn’t there, I leave it alone - if interest is there - further phone calls ensue. Seems like it wouldn’t be any different with a coach and an AD (yes, that’s pretty simplified). 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,891
  • Days Won:  67

On 11/24/2021 at 8:11 PM, Outlaw said:

How does the recruiting process work after you  verbally commit to a play. Do other schools still reach out and try to convince you to switch or is this new because of the two signing days now? The reason why I am asking, we desperately need this defensive recruits and I am wondering how hard other schools will be trying to switch the defensive recruits now we fired the Dc.

I played QB for an intramural team at USF so I felt compelled to opine per your request.  I hope we actually have some players that other schools want, unless Spencer was the lead recruiter and had built a relationship with the kid then I am not too concerned about a mass exodus of talent. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,330
  • Content Count:  97,045
  • Days Won:  469

If I were an AD I would walk the building with a shortlist of replacement coaches in my back pocket.  That slip of paper would occasionally fall out of my pocked and perhaps get returned to me.  If not, I'd write another one, and let it slip out, too.  I'd probably discuss it over lunch with existing coaches.  Maybe even get their opinions on their eventual replacements.