• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  162
  • Days Won:  1

This is from memory, but I think the 99 year agreement cost OU and Texas about $50m each. I think that was negotiated from the original penalty of $80m each. It makes sense if a school is going to the B1G or SEC, but not so much to the ACC.

However, Utah didn’t agree to the deal when they joined. It seems like Utah really didn’t want to join, but had no other option. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

I have a hard time believing any of those schools signed a 99 year agreement. Especially, in the expansion climate that is going on now. Seems a little far fetched without seeing actual proof of these contracts. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

1 hour ago, Cat941 said:

Yes this is my question. How will Big12 teams move so easily if they are so lucky to be poached?  

If FSU is getting out of the ACC at a price then I’m sure some other schools would be able too with a price 

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  414
  • Days Won:  2

21 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

I have a hard time believing any of those schools signed a 99 year agreement. Especially, in the expansion climate that is going on now. Seems a little far fetched without seeing actual proof of these contracts. 

It's real but it's not as big of a deal as the Twitterverse makes it out to be. It just gives a firm length for conference membership on paper. The real gate is now the Grant of Rights. Schools looking to move have either time it with the GOR like Texas, Oklahoma, and all the departing PAC schools or fight it legally like FSU is attempting. 

Edited by UCF_rustbucket

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

22 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

The only thing that I believe because it makes too much sense are the USF to the ACC rumors. Everything else are just false flags made to distract from the truth…..

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,588
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

It's real but it's not as big of a deal as the Twitterverse makes it out to be. It just gives a firm length for conference membership on paper. The real gate is now the Grant of Rights. Schools looking to move have either time it with the GOR like Texas, Oklahoma, and all the departing PAC schools or fight it legally like FSU is attempting. 

So, if the conference is around for that long, all those schools have their spot in the conference guaranteed?

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

The only thing that I believe because it makes too much sense are the USF to the ACC rumors. Everything else are just false flags made to distract from the truth…..

Agree.  MK has been connected to the ACC ties for a long time.  Adding Lacrosse, building stadium, and not wanting to put "Travel Whammy" on programs for another conference makes sense to wait for ACC.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  414
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

So, if the conference is around for that long, all those schools have their spot in the conference guaranteed?

Something like that but it's more for contract purposes. Certain states have provisions on what the length of a contract can be. In theory, if you join a conference you assume you're a member either forever until you choose to leave. But a lot of places don't like contracts that go on in perpetuity. So you have to define a length for it. Others choose to do this by adding quirky lengths such as a "royal lives clause". Basically let's you deflect and say "oh this contract doesn't go on forever! Just until 21 years after the last descendants of the King of England pass away" which for practical purposes, means forever.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_lives_clause

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  309
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Bull Matrix said:

If FSU is getting out of the ACC at a price then I’m sure some other schools would be able too with a price 

the truth is out there GIF

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,492
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Sk00b said:

I think it's cute that anyone thinks that any of these schools will still exist in 99 years.

• Haha 1