• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,485
  • Days Won:  43

7 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

Yeah, Peabody's is still hanging in there, but I can add Goodfellas to the list, it was in the same plaza as Peabody's and long gone. 

I remember the name Bulls Club, but don't think I ever went there. 

I have a great Gumby's story back around 1997, I was working on my MBA, that particular year we had lots of French exchange students in the MBA program. 6 person group project, where we would meet and work for 20 minutes, followed by 2 hours of drinking. We order Gumby's, the delivery person is from Haiti, the French students go wild because he looks like Yannick Noah. They invite him to come in and drink with us. He abandons his deliveries and brings in all the pizzas in his car and stays for hours, right in the middle of his shift.  

Lol, that is awesome! Must of been one heck of a party. 

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

24 minutes ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

This was all back in my day, too.

I think the rising popularity of Ybor city at the time ruined it.  We used to hang out at these places around campus, and then everybody started going to ybor. 

SoHo has probably contributed as well .....

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

Hopefully the USF OCS helps improve night life. I believe they said there were going to be restaurants, bars, shops just outside the OCS. Plus I plan on staying on campus Friday through Sunday during home USF games so I will do my part to help the night life lol

Yea, I think it can also host concerts and also reall make the homecoming parade kick ass.  We used to attend parade every year when the kids were little and it was fun but it could really be special.  

I honestly think, a thriving night life, OCS and a few other things could really make USF a fantastic destination school with great academics.

On the light rail topic.  I brought my son to visit Rutgers a couple of years ago with my son.  We were staying in NYC and we took a 1 hour train ride to New Brunswick. It was a HUGE plus for my alma mater.  He wound up staying in florida but it was a tough decision.  If we can get a light rail to downtown and or St Pete and or the beaches and wow that would be great for USF.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,125
  • Days Won:  6

58 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

Heck yeah I remember most of those places. Peabody’s  was fun too. Bulls Club. Gumby’s Pizza. The OCS should help improve the nightlife imo.

43 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

Yeah, Peabody's is still hanging in there, but I can add Goodfellas to the list, it was in the same plaza as Peabody's and long gone. 

I remember the name Bulls Club, but don't think I ever went there. 

I have a great Gumby's story back around 1997, I was working on my MBA, that particular year we had lots of French exchange students in the MBA program. 6 person group project, where we would meet and work for 20 minutes, followed by 2 hours of drinking. We order Gumby's, the delivery person is from Haiti, the French students go wild because he looks like Yannick Noah. They invite him to come in and drink with us. He abandons his deliveries and brings in all the pizzas in his car and stays for hours, right in the middle of his shift.  

Peabody's is great but not really what I consider a college bar.  Heck I still go there something and I am 100 years old.

Personally, I think UF's offcampus situation sucks as well but mainly because things are old but it is still worlds ahead of USF.  FSU has a lot going on, maybe too much.  I have kids at both schools and it is interesting to compare.

For example, when the hurricane was coming, FSU said they would have sandwichs and ice cream (lol, whatever) available if the dining hall close.  UF told my daughter and 30,000 students to head over the the publix to stock up and good luck!  I am paraphrasing.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

Gumby's was a staple.

Gator's Dockside was a good place as well.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

55 minutes ago, Triple B said:

SoHo has probably contributed as well .....

Ybor blew up in the 1990s ... SoHo in the 2000s.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

Totally forgot the Clubhouse, which is now Fuzzy's Taco Shop.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  541
  • Days Won:  0

I keep hearing about the claw being turned into a "New Urbanist Community"  hope that is true            Going back to the Tampa-St.Pete thing.  I love DT ST.Pete  amazing how many restaurants and bars as well as the beautiful waterfront.  But when me and my girl decided to rent out our house in South County and rent somewhere ourselves, we didn't think about DT St. Pete at all. We looked in Channelside (too young of a crowd) and decide to rent on Davis Islands.  We have never been happier in our lives. Davis Island -Hyde Park - all of Downtown Tampa and even Ybor is  pretty cool for us 50 somethings.   

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Days Won:  0

OCS should be a great anchor point for restaurants and bars in the community.  Zydeco opening up in MOSI is a major plus and great timing for them. I hope to see more breweries follow but it's a pretty expensive area for them.  I know we have been hearing this for a while but the redevelopment of University Mall into "UpTown" should be a great addition.  The mixture of professional space, medical facilities, and research labs along with entertainment areas, restaurants, and some nightlife...we have ample opportunities. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

6 minutes ago, jeremyttt said:

OCS should be a great anchor point for restaurants and bars in the community.  Zydeco opening up in MOSI is a major plus and great timing for them. I hope to see more breweries follow but it's a pretty expensive area for them.  I know we have been hearing this for a while but the redevelopment of University Mall into "UpTown" should be a great addition.  The mixture of professional space, medical facilities, and research labs along with entertainment areas, restaurants, and some nightlife...we have ample opportunities. 

i would love to buy a cheap property around the area. my wife wont let me.