• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,980
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, Bull Matrix said:

What a time to be alive….

0585905E-8852-4E57-A2E8-8FD7A5E402A4.png

Oh my.  FSU isn't going through all this to not be in the P2.  It's looking like BIG to me.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bull Gooner said:

The ESPN article said they'd need to pay $120M to leave. Is this legal filing to find a loophole that would let them leave for nothing?

Likely going to be much more costly than that.  I'm sure the desire is to try to get out for $0.  But is that feasible?  Probably not.  Well, then a settlement.  That's where FSU can really win.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

2 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Oh my.  FSU isn't going through all this to not be in the P2.  It's looking like BIG to me.  

Right. Hilarious if FSU does all this to play in a conference with equal or less money and definitely a weaker SOS. I think they’d go indie before that, like ND. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Just now, Cat941 said:

Likely going to be much more costly than that.  I'm sure the desire is to try to get out for $0.  But is that feasible?  Probably not.  Well, then a settlement.  That's where FSU can really win.  

They’ll sue but the goal is to force a settlement that lets them out of the ACC and the GOR. 

I’m a little concerned that aggression by state politicians could hurt USF’s prospects after FSU’s exit. If I’m the ACC, do I really want to bring in another state school after all this unpleasantness with state officials?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  410

33 minutes ago, Bull Gooner said:

The ESPN article said they'd need to pay $120M to leave. Is this legal filing to find a loophole that would let them leave for nothing?

Two different costs, but both negotiable.

The $120M is just the conference exit fee. They'd have to pay an exit fee regardless of GOR. It's part of what members agree to. But this isn't what they're scared of, especially if they can negotiate it down a bit.

It's the GOR penalties. There's no prescribed fee to pay. But realistically you'd need both your current rights holders and the one trying to buy them to be on the same page (assuming they're different, like if they went to the B1G and Fox instead of SEC/ESPN). That's how Oklahoma and Texas were able to leave the Big 12 a year early. Everyone involved was open to negotiation and the networks swapped some content to make everyone happy.

FSU is trying to bypass the GOR negotiation though by just saying it shouldn't be legally bound to this. Which is probably the only way they can get out with a whole decade plus left on it, compared to UT/OU who could already see the light at the end.

• Like 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

@UCF_rustbucket, I appreciate you coming to this thread to contribute.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,916
  • Days Won:  67

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

@UCF_rustbucket, I appreciate you coming to this thread to contribute.

He is a smart SOB, I find it hard to believe he is a c grad with his infinite amount of knowledge.  Just an fyi, you have never uttered those words of appreciation to me, thought this may be an oversight on your account.

• Haha 3

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

So they are discussing the future?  Okay.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Good lord, wait until @puc86 gets hold of this...

Necessity is the mother of invention, we need to really understand what is a necessity in order to get properly inventive. Our ideas of necessities seem more like wants and on par with the rest of my household’s conception of necessity.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Being left out of the College Football Playoff has the Seminoles again thinking about their ACC future. How...

Where would FSU go?

As of now, there are really only two potential destinations. And an invitation to the SEC or Big Ten is not certain or imminent. The only certainty -- now or down the road -- is that neither league would want a hint of legal exposure. Also, the schools in those leagues aren't going to take less money for new members to join. That means there'd have to be some type of clear discount rate for any school before the leagues get formally involved.

Florida State is well down the road in securing private equity, if needed, for any financial implications from a move. Sources told ESPN that Sixth Street Partners would be a likely partner for the Seminoles in private equity.