• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

How about the AAC teams and the MWC teams just black ball the orphaned PAC teams for a year or two?

this coast to coast conference talk makes zero sense. Is a hardship on everyone except for football revenue. 

I really wish the world didn’t revolve around money all the time. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

Just now, Gismo said:

really wish the world didn’t revolve around money all the time

We have to prop up this economic house of cards until someone is left holding the bag (probably us).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, TallyBull said:

Can't read the article because it's behind a paywall, but he'd better hope Stanford and Cal stick around. I'm skeptical that any top tier AAC schools will abandon the AAC to join a new Pac-12 with just Wazzou and Oregon State. The TV contract wouldn't be worth it.

OF COURSE the TV contract would be worth it.  Are you telling me you would not want to double (or more) the revenue USF gets?  Why not?

"Travel costs" get bandied about a lot ... but we already play non-conference games out west.  Men's soccer has a tournament in Seattle this year.  Volleyball is playing one in South Dakota.  Baseball went to Long Beach last season.... it's not like we'd be sending teams out west against all four of them - some seasons they will come east.

Every AAC team wants more prestige and more money -- so the "top tier AAC" teams will gladly drop some of their lesser conference mates (UNT, UAB, FAU?) to join a conference with PAC and the better MWC teams.

The new PAC won't have an ironclad GOR... because all of them will still want to move up.

But a "PAAC" or a new PAC will still be BETTER than the current AAC.  USF should take it in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Ummm. how can you rebuild the PAC 12 without G5's being your ONLY option ....... ?

I think it meant rebuild the PAC 12 ... OR ... join a G5 conference.

-----

EDIT: Seems a few people commented like this already.

Edited by Jim Johnson

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

9 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

OF COURSE the TV contract would be worth it.  Are you telling me you would not want to double (or more) the revenue USF gets?  Why not?

"Travel costs" get bandied about a lot ... but we already play non-conference games out west.  Men's soccer has a tournament in Seattle this year.  Volleyball is playing one in South Dakota.  Baseball went to Long Beach last season.... it's not like we'd be sending teams out west against all four of them - some seasons they will come east.

Every AAC team wants more prestige and more money -- so the "top tier AAC" teams will gladly drop some of their lesser conference mates (UNT, UAB, FAU?) to join a conference with PAC and the better MWC teams.

The new PAC won't have an ironclad GOR... because all of them will still want to move up.

But a "PAAC" or a new PAC will still be BETTER than the current AAC.  USF should take it in a heartbeat.

Plus everyone loves the P5 conference term so why wouldn’t USF to be a part of it??

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

This never-ending conference realignment has made the NCAA into a joke.   I get the desire for schools in the lower tier to move up and make more money.   What about the schools that have been in the top tier like the SEC or BIG-10 and have sucked forever and have no plans to get better?   Those conferences should kick them out and let new blood in.  Sure, they keep them in to boost the overall GPA of the conference, but if top dogs like Alabama only sign slobbering knuckle draggers who cannot pass basic college classes, then they deserve any and all sanctions that come their way.

When Texas and Oklahoma announced that they would bolt the BIG-12, it seemed like that conference was in a death spiral, even after raiding the AAC.   Now they went and raided the PAC-12.   How does that happen except for incompetent people running the PAC-12 and the PAC-12 schools.
If they thought they could muscle more money out of ESPN, they have not been paying attention.   ESPN has been laying off people in droves and let go some big names that have been with them forever.  The parent company Disney has been losing money left and right because they have forgotten how to make movies and TV shows that the general public wants to watch.  Fox is not exactly in a position to outbid ESPN, and NBC is in a never-ending love affair with Notre Dame.  These PAC-12 schools were huffing their own farts and saying they smelt like Cinnabons.   They deserve to go down the drain from their hubris.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

17 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

I was referring to a new PAC that does NOT include Stanford or Cal. If that conference (with just Wazzou and Oregon State) gets $14m a year per team, yeah, in that case USF should do it. I just sincerely doubt it will. Need Stanford and Cal to bring in that much. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Tomorrow will probably be an interesting day……..

1 minute ago, TallyBull said:

I was referring to a new PAC that does NOT include Stanford or Cal. If that conference (with just Wazzou and Oregon State) gets $14m a year per team, yeah, in that case USF should do it. I just sincerely doubt it will. Need Stanford and Cal to bring in that much. 

Well, you have to consider that OSU and WSU would be left holding about $60 million in future NCAA Tournament units and a $40 million "Rainy day" fund along with complete ownership of the Pac 12 network (for whatever that is worth).

• Upvote 1