• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

I'd rather jump, even without the money.  Game day would be so much better with Texas, Oklahoma, etc coming to Ray Jay.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

54 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

The underlined statement is where you and I part ways, because it's snake oil. Only SOME, but definitely not all, "Money 5" teams have a "legit shot at making the playoffs" at the start of every season.

We know who THEY are - OSU, UF, UT, UO, FSU, etc. - because they almost always start the year ranked, or get ranked as soon as they beat FAMU, FAU, and Appalachian State (see, e.g., UM).

Even if we were magically included in the Big XII, it would be like it was in the "Big Easy" - we would hear arguments in the media and among our peers about how USF's competition in the Big XII is weak and for that reason pretty much any other blue-blood "Money 5" team deserves to get in over us (assuming similar records).

We are what we are - a Cinderella school, not a blue-blood school. We had the misfortune of being born in the 1950s, not the 1850s. It would take a decade of winning championships (or coming close) to change that perception. I can't see that happening for us in the Big XII, at least not anytime in the next 20 years, but I could see it in the AAC.

Once (when) we OWN this conference for many years, maybe THEN we can argue that we belong with the the big boys. Until then (again, backing out the $$$ for purposes of this discussion) I'd prefer to watch USF dominate the AAC and build our fanbase.

Well again we disagree.  TCU and Baylor were both a nut hair away of making the playoffs before and they are hardly "Blue Bloods" even though they've been around. Also don't look now but fellow Big East rival WV is undefeated also and could run the table.  

Edited by Sellular1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

41 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Even if we were magically included in the Big XII, it would be like it was in the "Big Easy" - we would hear arguments in the media and among our peers about how USF's competition in the Big XII is weak and for that reason pretty much any other blue-blood "Money 5" team deserves to get in over us (assuming similar records).

I can agree with this, but even the B1G and ACC were knocked a few years ago for having really bad competition (even after the realignment). Your power teams in the ACC were Virginia Tech, FSU, maybe Georgia Tech and Clemson. Everyone else was mediocre at best. Now, you have resurgence in the last few years with Duke's success, Miami's semi-better-consistency, Clemson and Louisville becoming power teams, and others joining the party like UNC and NC State, and even lil ole Wake Forest this year.

The B1G always had their Ohio States and Wisconsin's but the cyclical nature of college sports affects many teams and conferences. It wasn't that long ago that Iowa State was bowl eligible, and teams like OU, Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State were all vying for championships in November with between zero and two losses, even TCU came to the party and crashed it a few times. Kansas State had some strong years, and we all know Kansas had its heyday when USF did, though I think they had a bigger and more sustained fall that has yet to recover.

I'd take the Big12 any day. People may not get excited for every game similar to now, but there will be more chances for Big12 teams to have good power years across the conference than there are in the American. I guess what I'm saying is the cyclical nature is more extreme for non Power 5 teams, most of the Big12 schools may go on a 5-7 year tear where they're really good, but AAC teams (some of them, it's yet to be seen with this lineup of teams), may only get that success for 2-4 years (mostly due to coaches being poached and the less frequent great player getting on campus and making a difference for 2-3 years).

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, BurghBulltoo said:

I don't want any of the above in the AAC when the B12 folds. They don't fit the profile of hip, urban, 21st century schools.

The only one I want is TCU (but I wouldn't veto WVU simply because of the shared Big East history)

The rest of 'em can suck it

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

It could be that four leave the big12 and they will need four to replace. If so, I like our chances...maybe. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

27 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

Well again we disagree.  TCU and Baylor were both a nut hair away of making the playoffs before and they are hardly "Blue Bloods" even though they've been around. Also don't look now but fellow Big East rival WV is undefeated also and could run the table.  

They're the exceptions, not the rule. Gary Patterson has made it a career at TCU, providing stability and success that we haven't had (and may not have if CWT gets courted by LSU). Baylor had the advantage of already being M5.

I think an immediate entry into the Big XII would be less like these exceptions and more like the rule - many years (maybe indefinitely?) trudging along with the likes of Kansas, Kansas State, WVU, etc. as a middling. 

To be clear, if we get an invite, we have to take it. I agree with you there. While risky from a competition standpoint, the money is too important, and there could be competitive upside over time. All I'm saying is that life is not over if the Big XII doesn't extend an offer to us. There are some pluses to staying in he AAC.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, charsibb said:

I don't want any of the above in the AAC when the B12 folds. They don't fit the profile of hip, urban, 21st century schools.

The only one I want is TCU (but I wouldn't veto WVU simply because of the shared Big East history)

In light of how we, Cincy, and UCONN were treated, I agree 100%. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, BullMSEE said:

I'd rather jump, even without the money.  Game day would be so much better with Texas, Oklahoma, etc coming to Ray Jay.

Thank you.

I feel bad for the ones on here hoping the AAC becomes relevant...

I'm sure teams in MWC or CUSA feel the same way.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

58 minutes ago, charsibb said:

If we were to take 2 my choices would be TCU and WVU, if 4 it would be TCU, WVU, Oklahoma St, and Kansas (for basketball).

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Bear said:

I feel bad for the ones on here hoping the AAC becomes relevant...

I'm sure teams in MWC or CUSA feel the same way.

And I feel bad for the ones on here that think joining a bigger conference automatically makes your program relevant.

I'm sure teams like Rutgers and Syracuse feel the same way.

Edited by TallyBull