• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17281618/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-interview-17-schools-expansion

Didn't know where to put this but ESPN put out the article this AM. There is enough threads on the topic for me not to start a new one.

Edited by JoshuaG
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

I have nothing to base this on, but I'm thinking that if it's only two, there's a good chance that it could be us and UCF.  All the other candidates have opposition from within the conference for a variety of reasons (BYU, the Sunday thing and the LGTB thing; Houston, already in Texas; Cincinnati, apparently WVU recruits in Ohio and doesn't want the competition).  Us and UCF are the only teams that bring a new fertile recruiting ground and large TV markets.

I could be totally wrong though.

I wish I could agree. I think the consensus is Florida's only shot is expansion by 4.

The recruiting thing is so vastly over played and overrated.

The big schools that would really even care about the recruiting angle in the Big 12 are built on the plentiful Texas based recruits. Highly doubtful that they'll see recruiting Florida, which is already competitive as a valuable source of recruiting funds.

likewise, under this theory ACC/PAC/Big 10 expansion would have hit up places like Texas or Florida instead of Kentucky, New Jersey, or Colorado 

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I have nothing to base this on, but I'm thinking that if it's only two, there's a good chance that it could be us and UCF.  All the other candidates have opposition from within the conference for a variety of reasons (BYU, the Sunday thing and the LGTB thing; Houston, already in Texas; Cincinnati, apparently WVU recruits in Ohio and doesn't want the competition).  Us and UCF are the only teams that bring a new fertile recruiting ground and large TV markets.

If the decision was made using logic and foresight I would agree with you. Texas teams present the obvious pushback from their neighbors even if  they don't admit it. I understand Utah has history, alumni and name recognition but why expand west when you already have WVU on an island in the east? The LGBT thing and Sundays present additional headaches. USF/UCF add one of the best recruiting areas, big TV markets and emerging economic and alumni bases. They also give you the basis of an Eastern division to the conference along with WVU.

Edited by ToroDeFuego

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, JoshuaG said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17281618/big-12-commissioner-bob-bowlsby-interview-17-schools-expansion

Didn't know where to put this but ESPN put out the article this AM. There is enough threads on the topic for me not to start a new one.

Based on this it looks like people can speculate all they want until October and we can get to 1000 pages. 

"The league said it hopes to make a decision on expansion by the Big 12's regularly scheduled board of directors meeting in October."

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Based on this it looks like people can speculate all they want until October and we can get to 1000 pages. 

"The league said it hopes to make a decision on expansion by the Big 12's regularly scheduled board of directors meeting in October."

So much for having the decision by the start of the season. This is good for USF in my opinion. Get winning and get ranked. We look like the hot pic of the day.

Edited by Azmodi

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

10 minutes ago, JoshuaG said:

When in doubt, always put it here ...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

29 minutes ago, jasonb56 said:

As long as UCF isn't one of the 2 taken, it will be fine... 

USF will be fine even if they are ..... Of course, some "fans" may be heading for the Skyway.

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

17 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I think so too. 

We will not compete for many recruits from Texas with conference mates but instead from the ACC and SEC who recruit Florida. Being in Florida will make both programs instantly more competitive with the recruiting bump. 

Large combined alumni base and growing populated areas. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

Looks like Big 12 will only expand by two - expect it to be Cincinnati and either Houston or BYU. Get used to the AAC.

I'm already used to it.  I kind of like it, although of course being in the Big XII carries with it some big benefits.  So being OK with the AAC doesn't mean we should stay there if we get a Big XII invite.