• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I see Cincinnati and BYU getting Big 12 invites in the next 12-24 months and then USF/UCF come along closer to the Big 12 GOR expiration date (2025). These two schools have some brand name recognition and have won national championships (UC in basketball, BYU in football) which is needed if the Big 12 expands with its current TV contract. USF/UCF are better adds as a pair to open up the Florida market but this does not make sense until the Big 12 TV contract expires and they can negotiate different terms based upon markets. The Longhorn network puts a wrench into things as this hold back the Big 12 from having its own Network which means the Florida market might be on hold until the Big 12 figure outs how to get out of this mess. The Big 10 and SEC got it right regarding their own networks and its paying big dividends for them. The only reason Maryland and Rutgers were added to the Big 10 was that it increased the Big 10 network value with these markets (cable subscribers). If the Big 12 adds a new market with its existing network situation it adds nothing so this needs to change before USF has a chance of being added to the Big 12. USF does not move the needle when it comes to brand but it does move the needle when it comes to market and potential. Hopefully USF will have some time to build up it brand (winning!!) and invest into an OCS so when the Big 12 is looking to go to 14 teams they select USF/UCF. USF needs some time to grow and build its athletic and academic brand as we are still a very young university. If USF does not turn around its football program soon then this discussion is mute and please turn off this message board as the past 3 years have been brutal!!

I don't see BYU joining. They won't play games on Sunday.

Football only invite and boom, not a problem.

It is if they get into a playoff game played on Sunday New Year's Day.

If BYU can't make that one concession, that will never happen, they deserve to be sitting on the outside looking in.

Appears they can't. They were sweating an OT game approaching midnight and forfeited a Sunday BB tournament game.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I see Cincinnati and BYU getting Big 12 invites in the next 12-24 months and then USF/UCF come along closer to the Big 12 GOR expiration date (2025). These two schools have some brand name recognition and have won national championships (UC in basketball, BYU in football) which is needed if the Big 12 expands with its current TV contract. USF/UCF are better adds as a pair to open up the Florida market but this does not make sense until the Big 12 TV contract expires and they can negotiate different terms based upon markets. The Longhorn network puts a wrench into things as this hold back the Big 12 from having its own Network which means the Florida market might be on hold until the Big 12 figure outs how to get out of this mess. The Big 10 and SEC got it right regarding their own networks and its paying big dividends for them. The only reason Maryland and Rutgers were added to the Big 10 was that it increased the Big 10 network value with these markets (cable subscribers). If the Big 12 adds a new market with its existing network situation it adds nothing so this needs to change before USF has a chance of being added to the Big 12. USF does not move the needle when it comes to brand but it does move the needle when it comes to market and potential. Hopefully USF will have some time to build up it brand (winning!!) and invest into an OCS so when the Big 12 is looking to go to 14 teams they select USF/UCF. USF needs some time to grow and build its athletic and academic brand as we are still a very young university. If USF does not turn around its football program soon then this discussion is mute and please turn off this message board as the past 3 years have been brutal!!

If BYU can't make that one concession, that will never happen, they deserve to be sitting on the outside looking in.

That one concession is the difference between standing up for what you believe in and selling out if you're BYU. Remember when they suspended their star player before the NCAA tournament and the fans were proud of it? Unlike Notre Dame, they actually live by the moral code they preach.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Well, I hope BYU stands by there convictions and keeps an extra potential B12 spot open.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

Am I the only one who reads these tweets as meaning nothing and the Big 12 could still expand soon?

Their still rolling in huge piles of money, and would be rolling in less if they added teams.
Plus if the Big12's request to allow a 10 team conference to have a playoff game is approved, no need for expansion.

From espn

NCAA bylaws require teams to have a minimum of six teams in each division to stage a championship game. It is believed to be a non-controversial change to rescind that rule if the Big 12 wanted to stage such a game with 10 teams.

what would be the incentive of the SEC, BIG10, and ACC voting to change that rule and help the Big12?

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Am I the only one who reads these tweets as meaning nothing and the Big 12 could still expand soon?

Their still rolling in huge piles of money, and would be rolling in less if they added teams.
Plus if the Big12's request to allow a 10 team conference to have a playoff game is approved, no need for expansion.

From espn

NCAA bylaws require teams to have a minimum of six teams in each division to stage a championship game. It is believed to be a non-controversial change to rescind that rule if the Big 12 wanted to stage such a game with 10 teams.

what would be the incentive of the SEC, BIG10, and ACC voting to change that rule and help the Big12?

Or the other FBS schools.  I believe that has to be voted on by the whole FBS division.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  213

I think we want BYU / UC to get the next 2 spots.  If UCF / UC were added in this round I'm not sure USF would ever recover and we might not ever get an invite.  UCF would prosper and USF will falter more under this scenario and it would get really ugly at USF.  Unfortunately USF has put itself in this position through poor athletic leadership and we blew our opportunity to be the next one in and UCF has passed us if they pick on FL school.  UC is a lock and BYU is very likely http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=32660243.  It would be a risky move by the Big 12 to take UCF / USF as the next two because BYU / UC are much more proven entities.  If there are some really forward thinking AD's in the Big 12 then maybe its UCF / USF as the next two.  USF needs some time to build its program back up so the UCF / USF combo is a easy decision to make.  Right now if I'm a Big 12 AD and I take USF I would have some selling / explaining to do base upon the current state of our football program.  

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  386
  • Days Won:  0

That one concession is the difference between standing up for what you believe in and selling out if you're BYU. Remember when they suspended their star player before the NCAA tournament and the fans were proud of it? Unlike Notre Dame, they actually live by the moral code they preach.

They suspended him for having premarital sex, and the fans cheered.

I would assume most colleges would have to suspend all their players. Isn't having lots of premarital sex half the point of going to college?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Isn't having lots of premarital sex half the point of going to college?

For about 99% of college kids ... yeah, it's probably more than half the point.  Maybe 75% the point.

Not for BYU. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615

I think we want BYU / UC to get the next 2 spots.  If UCF / UC were added in this round I'm not sure USF would ever recover and we might not ever get an invite.  UCF would prosper and USF will falter more under this scenario and it would get really ugly at USF.  Unfortunately USF has put itself in this position through poor athletic leadership and we blew our opportunity to be the next one in and UCF has passed us if they pick on FL school.  UC is a lock and BYU is very likely http://www.ksl.com/?nid=272&sid=32660243.  It would be a risky move by the Big 12 to take UCF / USF as the next two because BYU / UC are much more proven entities.  If there are some really forward thinking AD's in the Big 12 then maybe its UCF / USF as the next two.  USF needs some time to build its program back up so the UCF / USF combo is a easy decision to make.  Right now if I'm a Big 12 AD and I take USF I would have some selling / explaining to do base upon the current state of our football program.  

I don't think BYU is happening. There were rumors that they have already turned down offers during the last shuffle. With their religious following and how they schedule they probably believe that if they run the table sometime soon that they would get into the top 4

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Some sobering TV ratings numbers for USF this season... If the B12 is going to sniff us, we need those ratings to rise! winning is a big part of that...

(in 2007 USF vs Rutgers was a 5.1) by comparison to looking at our numbers this season... (the games on fox are not monitored)