• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

I do wonder sometimes whether there's an institutional bias against directional schools.  I love USF and don't look at it as somehow inferior because it has the word "south" in the name, but it's a matter of perception.  Seems to me that picking up the 13th and 19th ranked media markets in a huge state like Florida should be a no-brainer, at least over Cincy (34th ranked).  I get that BYU has a national following but it seems like BYU wants to remain independent like Notre Dame and isn't willing to compromise with the Big XII. UCONN is a possibility, but it seems so far outside of the footprint in terms of distance and culture, it just doesn't seem to be as good of an option.

I'm not predicting anything and don't really want to pretend that I know how this will shake out.  I'm just left wondering why a USF/UCF combo wouldn't be more or at least equally attractive to BYU and Cincy, particularly if this thing is being driven by growth potential in TV markets.  I understand that BYU might have more brand cache, but it also has its limitations.  I don't see Cincy as having significantly more brand cache than USF or even UCF, although it has been playing football longer.  Which gets me back to the directional school thing.

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I do wonder sometimes whether there's an institutional bias against directional schools.  I love USF and don't look at it as somehow inferior because it has the word "south" in the name, but it's a matter of perception.  Seems to me that picking up the 13th and 19th ranked media markets in a huge state like Florida should be a no-brainer, at least over Cincy (34th ranked).  I get that BYU has a national following but it seems like BYU wants to remain independent like Notre Dame and isn't willing to compromise with the Big XII. UCONN is a possibility, but it seems so far outside of the footprint in terms of distance and culture, it just doesn't seem to be as good of an option.

I'm not predicting anything and don't really want to pretend that I know how this will shake out.  I'm just left wondering why a USF/UCF combo wouldn't be more or at least equally attractive to BYU and Cincy, particularly if this thing is being driven by growth potential in TV markets.  I understand that BYU might have more brand cache, but it also has its limitations.  I don't see Cincy as having significantly more brand cache than USF or even UCF, although it has been playing football longer.  Which gets me back to the directional school thing.

There absolutely is a bias. It is very prominent among high schoolers and dumb people in general. I assume that as leaders of higher education institutions, these decision makers are a bit more open minded and logical than that, but you never know. Unless you have a rich history and have been successful in the past (Miami, Vanderbilt, Louisville, etc) the University of *State* and *State* State Universities are usually considered the preeminent schools with the most clout. When USF was winning, it never mattered, and I cant say for sure whether or not it matters in the scope of realignment, but these biases definitely exist. 

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

If we keep saying UCF/USF as a TV combo, or great deal; then the Knights are going to leave us behind. They would be the more attractive [standalone] deal at the moment. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

If we keep saying UCF/USF as a TV combo, or great deal; then the Knights are going to leave us behind. They would be the more attractive [standalone] deal at the moment.

These decisions are not based on "at the moment" assessments.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

Why? Based on one good football year?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

These decisions are not based on "at the moment" assessments.

You'd think the Cuse/Rutgers movement would eventually hit home with those that keep thinking that ...

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I don't think anyone beyond the confines of this blog and it's UCF trolls even knows what a "directional school" is. It is a made up concept designed to keep limited minds in their place. Means nothing to anyone else. Is USC a directional school? How about Northwestern? What about North Carolina State University? West Virginia?

From the esteemed ACCBBS

"I think it is a reference to schools with a direction in their name that isn't part of the state's name, ie East Carolina, South Florida, Central Florida, etc. "

The number one google search result is from the "Urban Dictionary"

YOU'VE BEEN PUNKED!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think anyone beyond the confines of this blog and it's UCF trolls even knows what a "directional school" is. It is a made up concept designed to keep limited minds in their place. Means nothing to anyone else. Is USC a directional school? How about Northwestern? What about North Carolina State University? West Virginia?

It's really not a difficult concept to grasp. If the title indicates a directional placement of a school within a state it has a directional nature in title and is therefore a directional school.

USC is indeed a directional school; it's a great example of why you cannot blankly say "directional schools are crap." I think we're a pretty good example too.

Why directional schools get more flack than, say, metropolitan schools is beyond me. Why isn't Pitt the "University of West Pennsylvania" and why is it OK to only be named after a mere city?

P.S. No, North Carolina State University nor West Virginia are *not* "directional" schools. The name of their state has a direction in it! I don't remember seeing the state of "North Texas" anywhere, but "North Carolina" is real.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Wouldnt the politicians get involved to make sure both UCF and USF get invited? It seems they the politicians got involved with Va Tech getting into ACC joining Virginia. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Wouldnt the politicians get involved to make sure both UCF and USF get invited? It seems they the politicians got involved with Va Tech getting into ACC joining Virginia. 

Probably not, since I don't think there are many that graduated from USF or UCF.