• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

FWIW, unlike past rumors the tuxedo wearing alien and the couch burning dude are saying very close to the same things this time around.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

FWIW, unlike past rumors the tuxedo wearing alien and the couch burning dude are saying very close to the same things this time around.

so two rumor mongers are speaking

and that means what????

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

Well, having never seen them appear together, I'm inclined to think they may be the same individual (gotta remember, in the days before Photoshop that was a legitimate line of thinking). It's a joke!

But, just being cynical, what if...what if....Cummerbund Calrissian  and the Lay-z-Boy Lighter are having a bit of fun at our expense. What if he's just pulling the internet bulletin board equivalent of "The Long Con"? What if, he loves chumming the stream and then sits back howling with laughter at how much traction these morsels get..."Oh yeah, the way I hear it, and this comes straight from Austin, USF is a lock for Big XII expansion, only thing is, they're not real definite on a timeline for when that happens on account of the dry cleaning hasn't been sent back and that dang phone number was in the jacket pocket." 

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711

@TuxedoYoda: Talk in Austin is that the 5 power conf.s go to 16. 80 total teams = top tier for cfb. Best bet for B12: BYU, Boise, UCF, USF, UConn & Cinci

If all go to 16, that will also leave 4 spots in the PAC, 2 in the SEC, B1G and ACC. Who would fill those slots? I think if they did require a certain amount, it should be 14 min and 16 max.

Edited by Goldenbuc

so two rumor mongers are speaking

and that means what????

It doesn't mean a whole lot.  But in the past they have even argued with each other on twitter about some things and then both were proven wrong.  Each has been right about certain things.

It is clear there has been lots of discussions over the last five years regarding realignment.  Some things discussed were not agreed on, others were.  Based on the totality of what is on twitter and what has come out in the press, including statements by coaches and ADs, it certainly appears we are on the verge of a major restructuring. 

I have little doubt that TuxedoYoda and TheDudefromWV and others have "inside sources".  They are different sources from different perspectives.  What happens is that one gets fed info from a source that is negotiating one direction, the other gets info from a source that wants something different to happen.  So they end up in conflict because really they are getting info on ongoing negotiations.  The fact that they are in near agreement tells me that maybe a consensus is building at least on certain schools.  Both are saying that more schools will move up to D4, and both say that USF is likely in the Big 12 when this all shakes out.  Both also say this is not definite.

Both they and others indicate that D4 is very likely to happen for 2014, and schools will realign by then.  So the fact that both are in agreement on these things makes me think there it is much more likely to happen than if they were telling different stories.

@TuxedoYoda: Talk in Austin is that the 5 power conf.s go to 16. 80 total teams = top tier for cfb. Best bet for B12: BYU, Boise, UCF, USF, UConn & Cinci

If all go to 16, that will also leave 4 spots in the PAC, 2 in the SEC, B1G and ACC. Who would fill those slots? I think if they did require a certain amount, it should be 14 min and 16 max.

It isn't that difficult to get to that number, if it is important to get to that number.  You need to add 15 schools to get there, I believe.  The AAC sits at nine schools, you figure most but probably not all of them.  I think ECU, Memphis and Temple would be the hardest sell.

Let's say six from the AAC, Boise, BYU, Nevada, San Diego State.  That is pretty easy.  We can't forget Notre Dame, as the working assumption is that they will be told they need to be all in.  That is 11 spots already.  Then you only need four out of schools like ECU, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane and the like.

Honestly though, I don't think he's right about a hard number of 80 with 16 in each conference.  I think it is more likely that some criteria will have to be met, and we'll end up with around 60-70 schools in D4 with others trying to prove they can meet the criteria.

One criteria for D4 that has been mentioned is overall athletic budget.  USF sits at around $45mil.  It might be that you need to have a budget in the neighborhood if $80-90 mil in order to be in D4 for all sports.  With increases in revenue from TV and such, I expect USF would be willing to make that jump.  It appears that some schools, like Pitt and Syracuse, may not be willing to make that jump even with increased revenue.  An alternative being bandied about is that a school could join D4 for football only, and a school in the D4 could opt out of football.  That seems strange to me and I wonder how that would affect criteria. 

Should be interesting.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

MHver3 â€@MHver3 1h

More likely is that we will see a conference of 10-12 emerge from MWC and AAC upper echelon

IMO that makes more sense than 5 16's.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

MHver3 â€@MHver3 1h

More likely is that we will see a conference of 10-12 emerge from MWC and AAC upper echelon

That's more promising than where we are now, but not really by much

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867

MHver3 â€@MHver3 1h

Same guy stated he expects one of the requirements be a 25 million football budget... um, Houston... that might be a problem...

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Might be a problem for more than just Houston. (sorry, couldn't resist)