• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

That is true, and I do believe that USF's position was helped by being such a young program. We haven't had decades to really suffer and sweat. That would also probably move Alabama off the agenda, but can't say the same for Duke, Wake Forest and Vanderbilt. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

We'd be regulated in 2013

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Boise State says you are wrong. History is accurate, but age is the problem, not winning. Winning wouldn't have made a differnwve

Really!? They were only an afterthought to the AQ conferences until they started winning under Petersen, and the thought of them being nationally televised was just silly...I mean, why?

Forgive me, but Boise isn't in a power conference are they?? So....

So...it's the CONSIDERATION for a P5 spot that we're discussing, and winning is the only compensation for a lack of history. It's the only way BSU or USF will get a look in the current system. And they at least were considered (although P12 & B12 rejected pretty quickly)...we weren't, and in overall athletics & viewing audience we have more potential!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

We'd be regulated in 2013

It's relegated. I know that you know that, if it's not a word that someone is used to their mind types the most similar word. At least that's how my warped mind works. :)

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

a promotion / relegation model would work VERY well in college football.

The kings will always be kings and it gives opportunities to EVERYONE.

say 5 conferences in P51... each aligned to a conference in G5... each aligned to whatever else etc. Top three from each division move up... bottom three move down.

Yeah, a relegation model would work very well.  I'm quite sure that Alabama would be very happy to be relagated after having one bad year.  Or Michigan, or Oklahoma.  They would readily agree to such a system.

I don't think that you quite understand the relegation model. In England for example 3 out 20 get relegated. So if you were to scale it down a maximum of 2 teams would be relegated from each conference. Even in their worst year Bama would not finish in the bottom 2 of the entire SEC. Even if they did they would deserve to be relegated. No one is saying that they would agree, but it would be better for CFB as a whole. At least for those of us on the outside looking in.

I am very familiar with the relegation model in soccer.  There is no way any P5 school will subject themselves to the possibilty of relegation.  Why should they possibly forgo huge money if they don't have to?

I will pay you a guaranteed salary of $500,000 for the next ten years.  Or I will pay you a salary of $500,000, but if your performance drops below your fellow employees, I'm going to drop you and pick up someone else.  Which would you choose?  The P5 schools don't have to do anything the other schools want.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

a promotion / relegation model would work VERY well in college football.

The kings will always be kings and it gives opportunities to EVERYONE.

say 5 conferences in P51... each aligned to a conference in G5... each aligned to whatever else etc. Top three from each division move up... bottom three move down.

Yeah, a relegation model would work very well.  I'm quite sure that Alabama would be very happy to be relagated after having one bad year.  Or Michigan, or Oklahoma.  They would readily agree to such a system.

I don't think that you quite understand the relegation model. In England for example 3 out 20 get relegated. So if you were to scale it down a maximum of 2 teams would be relegated from each conference. Even in their worst year Bama would not finish in the bottom 2 of the entire SEC. Even if they did they would deserve to be relegated. No one is saying that they would agree, but it would be better for CFB as a whole. At least for those of us on the outside looking in.

This part is absolutely true.

When the NFL went to equal sharing of television revenue, the idea was to generate parity and make "on any given Sunday" the catchphrase of the century.

Kind of.  The reality is that there was one really smart owner in the NFL and the rest weren't that smart.  When the NFL went on TV the money was insignificant   One forward thinking individual convinced the other owners at the time that sharing the TV money was a great idea.  But it wasn't a big deal at the time because the money wasn't significant compared to other revenue.  By the time the money got big enough that some teams (New York) realized they were losing out, the other teams (Buffalo) realized it was saving them so there was no way to get the votes to change the model.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

The only thing that is constant....is change. In 5 years things will be different than they are today. I just hope USF lands on the good side of things.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

The only thing that is constant....is change. In 5 years things will be different than they are today. I just hope USF lands on the good side of things.

Amen to that!

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

The good news for BYU, Cin, UCONN, USF & UCF is that if they are willing to make the jump they can be football only members in D4

D4 is the code word the P5 are using for their new power division. Reason all of them dissed NCAA at the Media Days. Planning on breaking away from NCAA, for football at least

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

A way in...but at what cost? Literally.

@theDudeofWV: I'm told by a high-level ESPN contact that Pitt, Duke and Wake have told the ACC they would not play D4 football.

@theDudeofWV: It's unclear if GT would or not.

@theDudeofWV: Membership in D4 will be dependent on conference affiliation.

@MHver3: Getting word today that there are several schools in the ACC that are vehemently against D4 because they can't afford the extra expenditures

@MHver3: ACC only conference if the Big5 that has any schools opposed but I'm hearing there are at least 4 and as many as 6 ACC schools against it.