• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

USF's final hope and only solution is to win big.  I mean really big and bust th door down.  That's the only way any more.   

You mean like Boise State?

Boise State is in Boise Idaho, one of the smalles states in the country population wise, also with zero recruits locally.  If Boise State was in the South East and/or Florida, they would be in either the ACC or Big 12.

There's been absolutely no precedent set that winning really big is a solution and "the only way any more" to a seat at the P5 table .... unless you know something we don't ... but we may as well go ahead and do it .... couldn't hurt.

So explain Rutgers. They started selling tickets after winning games and even expanded their stadium. Having AAU status helped of course. You think if Rutgers sucked they would be going where they are headed?

'You call what Rutgers did as "winning big", busting the door down? Rutgers is headed where they are primarily because of where they're located ...

Since when did Rutgers move? The ONLY difference between Rutgers with an invite and without one is WINNING. They had the longest bowl win streak in the nation the second half of the last decade, had to expand their stadium because attendance wasn't 17k anymore, now its over 50k. Their former HC is now an NFL HC.  Rutgers is headed toward a decade with a solid program and I think that played a large role in their invite. If they still were a 1-2 win team, do you really think they get an invite due to location? Really?

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The only thing Rutgers was missing prior to building their football program was a decent football program. All the other important things were in place The most important of which were the media market and academics. The only thing they were missing was the commitment to the football team. They made that commitment when they paid Schiano (he was the highest paid public employee in the state of NJ) and gave him the tools he needed. Once he was able to bring Rutgers football to respectability the University had all the requirements in place to move into a premier conference. Make no mistake, though, winning was the final piece in the puzzle, not the starting point.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  820
  • Days Won:  0

The only thing Rutgers was missing prior to building their football program was a decent football program. All the other important things were in place The most important of which were the media market and academics. The only thing they were missing was the commitment to the football team. They made that commitment when they paid Schiano (he was the highest paid public employee in the state of NJ) and gave him the tools he needed. Once he was able to bring Rutgers football to respectability the University had all the requirements in place to move into a premier conference. Make no mistake, though, winning was the final piece in the puzzle, not the starting point.

This, also ALOT of the reason WVU gets a ton of NJ students as the academic requirements and cost of Rutgers is outrageous.  It is cheaper for a NJian to pay for room and board with out of state tuition to go to WVU then it is to go to Rutgers. 

Edited by jvwvu

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

This is a case that USF fans need to keep in mind. Schiano didn't win his first 4 seasons. Don't fire CWT in year 3 if USF isn't winning by then!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

If there is any realignment I see this more of a possibility than USF going anywhere, the Power 5 leaving the NCAA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/21/college-football-ncaa-split/2097115/

I think this will happen ^^^

It just makes sense.

Also this has been talked about in the past and it would basically make the top 5 conferences into a minor league NFL. Instead of conferences you would have regional divisions broken up into 2 conferences, with 3-4 divisions each.

So instead of a SEC, B1G, PAC, ACC, or BIG12 you would have a National College Football League (NCFL) with two conferences, most likely Eastern Conference and a Western Conference. Then within the conferences you would have 3-4 divisions in each conference... they would likely be a North-South-Central type breakup.

It has been discussed before... the new NCFL would work like the NFL... it would have a preseason and a post season with a single championship game like the super bowl.

All of the schools excluded from this elite new league would be left behind in the smoldering wreck that is the NCAA to pick up the pieces.

I would stop watch CFB all together if this happened.

I think that may be the pin that bursts the bubble in CFB.

If USF is not at the big boys table when all is said and done, I probably wont be much of a CFB fan.  I'll still watch USF, but my interest in the Major conferences will become zilch.  The major teams are trying to corral so much of the money they might end up excluding too many teams and isolating fans.

I was thinking about this on my drive into campus this morning. I do think if it comes to the P5 splitting, they will eventually collapse under their own weight. Texas and ND will still want more revenue and perks than anyone else. The increased costs will eventually trickle down the the fans in the form of higher ticket prices, concessions, etc...

Once fans catch on to the fact that the conferences exist solely to prop up the Texas, Alabamas and Ohio States of the world and be expected to travel to bowls that exist solely to create television programming, I think things will change.

The more I think about it, the more content we are where we are right now.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  4,663
  • Days Won:  21

LOL at anyone who thinks Rutgers delivers the NY market. They can barely hold the Brunswick, NJ market.

And no jvwvu, all of my HS buddies went to WVU, Penn State, NYU, UConn, Princeton, Maryland, etc. because Rutgers sucks, not because it's hard to get in or that its expensive. If you can't get into those schools, you go to Rutgers.

I lived in Monmouth County, NJ for 7 years and made regular trips to Rutgers since I was in HS.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

If there is any realignment I see this more of a possibility than USF going anywhere, the Power 5 leaving the NCAA.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/04/21/college-football-ncaa-split/2097115/

I think this will happen ^^^

It just makes sense.

Also this has been talked about in the past and it would basically make the top 5 conferences into a minor league NFL. Instead of conferences you would have regional divisions broken up into 2 conferences, with 3-4 divisions each.

So instead of a SEC, B1G, PAC, ACC, or BIG12 you would have a National College Football League (NCFL) with two conferences, most likely Eastern Conference and a Western Conference. Then within the conferences you would have 3-4 divisions in each conference... they would likely be a North-South-Central type breakup.

It has been discussed before... the new NCFL would work like the NFL... it would have a preseason and a post season with a single championship game like the super bowl.

All of the schools excluded from this elite new league would be left behind in the smoldering wreck that is the NCAA to pick up the pieces.

I would stop watch CFB all together if this happened.

Because USF isn't in that group? Or because you like seeing better teams play cupcakes?

Because USF is not in that group. Why should I care about other schools?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

USF's final hope and only solution is to win big.  I mean really big and bust th door down.  That's the only way any more.   

Boise State is in Boise Idaho, one of the smalles states in the country population wise, also with zero recruits locally.  If Boise State was in the South East and/or Florida, they would be in either the ACC or Big 12.

There's been absolutely no precedent set that winning really big is a solution and "the only way any more" to a seat at the P5 table .... unless you know something we don't ... but we may as well go ahead and do it .... couldn't hurt.

So explain Rutgers. They started selling tickets after winning games and even expanded their stadium. Having AAU status helped of course. You think if Rutgers sucked they would be going where they are headed?

'You call what Rutgers did as "winning big", busting the door down? Rutgers is headed where they are primarily because of where they're located ...

Since when did Rutgers move? The ONLY difference between Rutgers with an invite and without one is WINNING. They had the longest bowl win streak in the nation the second half of the last decade, had to expand their stadium because attendance wasn't 17k anymore, now its over 50k. Their former HC is now an NFL HC.  Rutgers is headed toward a decade with a solid program and I think that played a large role in their invite. If they still were a 1-2 win team, do you really think they get an invite due to location? Really?

As is common in here, it's shifted away from the original argument so as to make it easier on one side. Here's the comment that started all this: USF's final hope and only solution is to win big.  I mean really big and bust th door down.  That's the only way any more. To me, that says the only way we get moved up now is to do such a great job of winning that conferences will want us primarily because of our awesomeness on the field, really big wins, busting the door down type winning. You can babble all you want about Rutgers WINNING but I personally don't see any really big, busting the door type winning from a program that hasn't won a conference outright and never been to, much less won, a BCS bowl.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

As is common in here, it's shifted away from the original argument so as to make it easier on one side. Here's the comment that started all this: USF's final hope and only solution is to win big.  I mean really big and bust th door down.  That's the only way any more. To me, that says the only way we get moved up now is to do such a great job of winning that conferences will want us primarily because of our awesomeness on the field, really big wins, busting the door down type winning. You can babble all you want about Rutgers WINNING but I personally don't see any really big, busting the door type winning from a program that hasn't won a conference outright and never been to, much less won, a BCS bowl.

Yep. I don't think there is any way we would win the B12 conference within a reasonable amount of time, either.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

Bowlsby on Big 12 staying with NO champ game: 'I feel very good about it. The further we go into this new model better we feel about it.