• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

You guys do realize that half of a big 12 contract is 650% more than what we get if we get left behind. I wouldn't call that begging.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You guys do realize that half of a big 12 contract is 650% more than what we get if we get left behind. I wouldn't call that begging.

You don't just give $ away if you don't have to.  As charsibb said, what you suggested is a last resort.  At least see if they'll buy you dinner before getting you into bed.  

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Here is an article about FSU from today.

Their AD does not sound happy to still be in the ACC.

I still believe ultimately, FSU will take the bait and land in the B12. If USF goes anywhere, it will be to a truncated ACC.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/football/story/_/id/9020053/ad-randy-spetman-discusses-state-florida-state-seminoles-program

And yes, the new feather in Chief Osceola's hat is their new IPF. I still not think we can afford one right now.

Edited by BaltoBull

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I still believe ultimately, FSU will take the bait and land in the B12. If USF goes anywhere, it will be to a truncated ACC.

http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/football/story/_/id/9020053/ad-randy-spetman-discusses-state-florida-state-seminoles-program

And yes, the new feather in Chief Osceola's hat is their new IPF. I still not think we can afford one right now.

I don't read that Spetman isn't happy in the ACC.  It doesn't jump out at me based on his comments, although privately he certainly may be.  

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

So,

Clemson, UNC, and Va Tech are chopped liver?

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  276

Is it me, but outside of Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is a pretty average conference. I'm not sure that most of the other programs are all that much better than USF/Cincy/UConn/UCF etc.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  2

It was obvious that FSU would've wanted out, but the AD for FSU has come out and made it public now.

I wonder if the USF/UCF rumors stirred this up at all. Does this mean we have a good shot to join the ACC now? Is the ACC future really that bright in the long term? I know it's certainly better than the Big East now.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  490

I don't read that Spetman isn't happy in the ACC.  It doesn't jump out at me based on his comments, although privately he certainly may be.  

This is what I thought was the most interesting passage:

In the short term, Spetman said he's confident that the ACC is moving in the right direction, and the Noles staying remains the most appealing solution. However, he said his priority is to ensure that Florida State is prepared for the next major shift.

"We've had conversations at the senior level about what we should consider," Spetman said. "There will be more of those conversations -- they'll continue. It's an evolution every day."

To me, what I read is, "Yeah, sure we're happy in the ACC because we have to be, but we're preparing for a mass exodus" - is this the "next major shift"?

Then he said, "More conversations - they'll continue", to me that suggests they are actively looking and waiting for the final number of Maryland's exit fee. Since they and the Terps did not sign the agreement, I assume whatever Maryland pays, FSU will as well.

Also, "It would be great to be in the SEC with our radius of schools"

Again, to me, given the proximity of Clemson, NC State and Wake in comparison to the distances of the schools they would play in the SEC depending on the division they land in; reads, to me as someone who does not want to be where he's at, although I still think FSU getting into the SEC is a non-starter.

Saying it would "great" to be in another conference, admitting you are talking to other member schools and preparing for a "major shift" at a presser, basically when discussing the future of your program in addition to acknowledging less-than-stellar out of conference games, (due in part to factors like the contracts between the B1G & the PAC and conferences shrinking OOC schedules - hell, they don't even have ND on their schedule like ACC schools Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Wake and Miami does) all together doesn't sound too "happy" to me.

I realize this is all conjecture on my part and I admit trying to read between the lines, but it is my opinion and I believe, FSU is not happy. Perhaps, I should have reworded my original statement to reflect my opinion.

Furthermore, I believe, if "forced" by the possibility of USF/UCF getting into the B12, naturally, the Noles will pull the trigger and jump ship, costs be damned.

Edited by BaltoBull

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  160
  • Days Won:  2

Furthermore, I believe, if "forced" by the possibility of USF/UCF getting into the B12, naturally, the Noles will pull the trigger and jump ship, costs be damned.

I am not sure why many here think that if the Big 12 said "come or we invite USF/UCF" that this would have a big impact on FSU's thinking. I don't imagine FSU cares if USF/UCF join the Big 12 or not.

FSU seems to have the following desires: (1) join the SEC, but that isn't happening. (2) remain in the ACC, but bail to the Big 12 if the ACC collapses. USF and UCF do not impact on any of that.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

Of course, FSU would probably like to block USF and UCF from AQ-level status. This statement could also have the benefit of convincing the Big 12 to not add any in-state rivals. And, it would hypothetically weaken a rival conference (of FSU's current home), by persuading the Big 12 to not improve-through expansion.

But, USF and UCF to the Big 12 rumors very likely have no effect on FSU's actual decision. Florida State University should pursue its own interests and best conference fit-as opposed to just trying to hurt USF and UCF in a foolish and petty manner.

Otherwise, it would just weaken itself, too.