• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense issues - scheme? personnel? coaching?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

Although depth, size, experience, and injuries are probably the main reason for the secondary play, I think I could stand in the pocket and throw some balls because I wouldn't have to worry about getting hit.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Will say outside the horrible first quarter the defense only gave up 14 points last 3 quarters. 

Team has to start games better 

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

the tackling technique is non exisitent.they dont wrap up  at all. they go for the calves and miss most of the time

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we need at least 2 more classes

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

26 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Will say outside the horrible first quarter the defense only gave up 14 points last 3 quarters. 

Yep.

Not that it matters, I experienced something similar with a team I coached.  Our focus had to turn to "how we start".  Making adjustments is a common demand from fans and has merit, but we had to figure out how to stop getting our faces kicked in in the first quarter or early first half.  

For this team, it might be a product of youth, focus, I don't know.  You have to come out ready to play.

However, it was clear to BYU they could throttle us on the deep ball.  Not sure, how we could have done better with current personnel.

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,016
  • Days Won:  0

Defense has been a problem for years. This has been going on since Holtz and not just for USF, but for many other teams as well. I think the issue is the lack of overall talent available. The best players are going to offense in H.S. so the defense is thing for most college teams. In addition, we tend to think of how defense was played many years ago. The changes in the rules have made playing defense very difficult. This is why offense seems so much better these days. The rules now favor the offense, defense is constantly in a state of catch- up.

USF is trying to address that by changing player positions. We have at least one safety and one corner (I think this is Hill) who played on offense last year. (Heard that statement in the NCST game) They are going to have growing pains as they learn the position. Unfortunately, because of how thin we are on defense, they have to learn in game instead of just in practice. They're getting massive and difficult on- the- job training. They have played 3 top 25 teams in 4 weeks. USF has never had that tough of a schedule before. To do it with a thin defense where players are in new positions is going to make it look bad. Patience is required under these circumstances. They are getting better, just not quick enough to satisfy the instant gratification guys.

Defensive line and linebackers are small, we did not address this in the portal, probably because there wasn't anything there that was better than we already have. Remember, its not just us choosing, the player get a choice too. The recruiting class this year will not be large but I think there will be more talent in the portal as teams have to shed numbers to get back down to 85. This will create some opportunities.  

Lack of tackling will be a problem all year. USF is so thin that the coaches can not risk injuries in practice so they are most likely not even running tackling drills. This is where most defensive players get hurt in practice and when you are thin, it has to go and just hope that the players learn while playing. 

Will USF defense improve? Yes, it already has gotten better. But you guys have to remember that the days of shutdown defenses is basically over for everyone. If the defense can reduce scoring by about 7 - 10 points a game in conference we have a decent defense (this would be about 27 - 30 points per game). Then next year we can hope for moving it down to the mid to low 20s which is where defenses should be. It's getting there 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, Bulls On Parade said:

True, but a lot of that has to do with USF having the ball for 30 minutes over that span. Can’t spot anyone 21 points and expect to win.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,846
  • Days Won:  22

The defense is bad. Even in second half, BYU was never stopped. They just didn’t have the ball much of the time. 
they had the ball for three drives in second half

4 plays 75 yds TD

9 plays 70 yds. Blocked FG

8 plays 24 yds. End of game

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,075
  • Days Won:  469

Which reminds me of a personal USF first. I fell asleep during that long fourth quarter drive, woke up and it was still going on. I couldn’t believe it.  😂

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Injuries have decimated the defensive backfield.  One guy had a season ending injury.  Several others went down to injury.  All were expected to be solid contributors.