• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Look to Amplify Run Game Saturday

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

BULLS LOOK TO AMPLIFY RUN GAME SATURDAY

TV: ESPN+: Drew Felios (p-by-p) & Leger Douzable (analyst)
RADIO: 1250 AM WHNZ
AUDIO STREAM: iHeartRadio - Bulls Unlimited1
SERIES: USF leads, 3-0
IN TAMPA: USF leads, 3-0
IN TALLAHASSEE: NA
LAST: USF won, 51-3, in 2015
GAME NOTES (PDF)

By Joey Johnston

The Bulls showed good running ability in spots during season-opening defeats against NC State and Florida.

Saturday night at Raymond James Stadium, when the Florida A&M Rattlers (1-1) visit USF (0-2), it could be time for the Bulls to use their running backs to control the game.

Much of the pregame chatter surrounds the deployment and long-term plans for USF's quarterbacks, sophomore Cade Fortin and true freshman Timmy McClain. But running backs could hold the key to USF registering its first win of the season.

"I like our running back group,'' head coach Jeff Scott said. "I think we're going to roll (alternate) those guys. Find one with the hot hand and go with him. It's a long year and we're going to need all of those guys.''

Junior Darrian Felix (5-foot-11, 190 pounds), who barely played last season due to injury after transferring from Oregon, has been the most active back with 21 carries for 61 yards (including a 16-yarder on the season's first play).

"I can break a big one,'' Felix said. "I know it hasn't happened yet, but it's coming. Overall, I'd say the key is to play with heart, play with the grit, the grind, the emotion. Go out there and have fun with it. Play free. Don't play timid.''

Junior Jaren Mangham (6-2, 221), a transfer from Colorado, showed well against the Gators with eight carries for 29 yards and two touchdowns. There's also nice change-of-pace action from... Rest of Story

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Our rushing attack has been less than dynamic. I hope they can take a big step forward today

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, Roaming Bull said:

Our rushing attack has been less than dynamic. I hope they can take a big step forward today

NC State has a good defense and UF is pretty good....if they don't put up some big yards tonight then I might worry some.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Amplify scoring please.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

29 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

I miss Mack…and Ford. A thunder and lightning running game would be awesome.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, slick1ru2 said:

I miss Mack…and Ford. A thunder and lightning running game would be awesome.

I kind of thought we would have a decent running coming into the season. I was surprised we hadn’t done more with the run game thus far. Granted we played two really good defenses, but if your run game doesn’t produce against your better opponents how good is it? I guess we will learn a little today 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

23 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

I kind of thought we would have a decent running coming into the season. I was surprised we hadn’t done more with the run game thus far. Granted we played two really good defenses, but if your run game doesn’t produce against your better opponents how good is it? I guess we will learn a little today 

Also we got outscored bad in those games so we sort of got away I think some from the run game.

We will get I think some answers tonight. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

The team rushed for 100+ on UF and the line opened up some huge holes. I expect that total gets doubled tonight. Rushing is probably at the bottom of my list of concerns for this team.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

Why are we revealing our secret plans for the game hehe

• Haha 1