• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First step to recovery.........

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

monktified was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 10 points.

is to admit that we have a problem.  We want immediate gratification to be something that we are not ready for.

It does sting to see our program is going to get passed over on what we all fear maybe the last realignment in the near future.  College Football is a business now more than ever, and our administration never fully bought in to that concept and the doors that football would open. Well, ee are now reaping those rewards, or lack there of.  We can whine complain how UCF has passed us by, or because they are winning now and we aren't.  The fact is they have invested into a bigger vision of campus life, the student experience, and college football. As they too could have quit when times got tough and they were a joke.  Those investments are now paying off for them.  I say good for them.  We focused on becoming one of the preeminent universities in Florida, and that is a great foundation for our Athletics to build off of, and for USF to continue to grow.  They are several years ahead of us in their development.

We started as an Independent in football during the 2000 season.  Since then we have moved from the Metro Conference to Conference USA, to the Big East, only to have that conference fold.  We are now entering our 9th season in the American.  

We need to remember that we have accomplished a ton in a short amount of time without, putting all of our resources behind us.  We have been to 10 bowl games, winning 6 of those in our first 21 seasons of our existence.  We have won at 60% of our games played.  We were the youngest program to EVER reach a national ranking of number 2 in the country. That speaks for itself, and times like these it shouldn't matter at all.  We should be hungry for more.

I agree with the Sheriff this program was built on a certain attitude and belief we had to fight to belong.  Maybe somewhere along the way we became complacent and felt we were entitled to the bigger athletic program lifestyle.  We would never be intimidated and we would not back down from challenges that were laid in front of us.  We simply have lost our identity of what it meant to be a USF BULL.  Seems a little foolish to get all this way and stop believing in our University now.  I know the results have not been there the past few years (football), but we must be realistic with the expectations.  We have other programs that are doing great things in their arena, we just need to keep growing our brand.  We need to look to the future and push USF higher in academics and athletics and we will end up where we are supposed to be.

Death Row should not have to make a Tombstone that we lost to our-self!  

GO BULLS!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,557
  • Days Won:  3

16 minutes ago, monktified said:

is to admit that we have a problem.  We want immediate gratification to be something that we are not ready for.

It does sting to see our program is going to get passed over on what we all fear maybe the last realignment in the near future.  College Football is a business now more than ever, and our administration never fully bought in to that concept and the doors that football would open. Well, ee are now reaping those rewards, or lack there of.  We can whine complain how UCF has passed us by, or because they are winning now and we aren't.  The fact is they have invested into a bigger vision of campus life, the student experience, and college football. As they too could have quit when times got tough and they were a joke.  Those investments are now paying off for them.  I say good for them.  We focused on becoming one of the preeminent universities in Florida, and that is a great foundation for our Athletics to build off of, and for USF to continue to grow.  They are several years ahead of us in their development.

We started as an Independent in football during the 2000 season.  Since then we have moved from the Metro Conference to Conference USA, to the Big East, only to have that conference fold.  We are now entering our 9th season in the American.  

We need to remember that we have accomplished a ton in a short amount of time without, putting all of our resources behind us.  We have been to 10 bowl games, winning 6 of those in our first 21 seasons of our existence.  We have won at 60% of our games played.  We were the youngest program to EVER reach a national ranking of number 2 in the country. That speaks for itself, and times like these it shouldn't matter at all.  We should be hungry for more.

I agree with the Sheriff this program was built on a certain attitude and belief we had to fight to belong.  Maybe somewhere along the way we became complacent and felt we were entitled to the bigger athletic program lifestyle.  We would never be intimidated and we would not back down from challenges that were laid in front of us.  We simply have lost our identity of what it meant to be a USF BULL.  Seems a little foolish to get all this way and stop believing in our University now.  I know the results have not been there the past few years (football), but we must be realistic with the expectations.  We have other programs that are doing great things in their arena, we just need to keep growing our brand.  We need to look to the future and push USF higher in academics and athletics and we will end up where we are supposed to be.

Death Row should not have to make a Tombstone that we lost to our-self!  

GO BULLS!

To be honest, we really didn’t have a brand or identity until recently. Our other sports are accomplishing things, maybe our #2 ranking was a fluke.

We honestly need to let that go, btw. We sniffed greatness for a week, and that is our one claim to fame.

I legit see no tradition, no game day atmosphere. Just a bunch of bleh, melancholy people sometimes going to games and leaving at half time.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

1 minute ago, Peatearpan said:

maybe our #2 ranking was a fluke.

It was a fluke.

Just like UCF's stupid colley-matrix 2007 calculation national championship was a fluke.

The difference is they did something with that, even if they had to mislead a bit.

We were never comfortable being good at football.  8 and 9 wins in a conference in which we were a young, overmatched program were never enough.  We couldn't handle calling ourselves a member of the "Big Four."  We laughed at ourselves for even thinking we were good or great.  We were destined for failure because at USF we never got challenged with success in any sport.  And we didn't know how to deal with it or with the possibility.  We turned the greatest start in football history into NOTHING.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433

Why did it take us so long to build a friggin IPF and stuff. Leavitt was begging for one in the mid 2000s. I remember reading that applications for USF rose like crazy with the success of football (me being an example), why didn't the university see the silver lining and spend more on what was helping the college grow in national exposure and students?

So freakin sad man.

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

It was a fluke.

Just like UCF's stupid colley-matrix 2007 calculation national championship was a fluke.

The difference is they did something with that, even if they had to mislead a bit.

We were never comfortable being good at football.  8 and 9 wins in a conference in which we were a young, overmatched program were never enough.  We couldn't handle calling ourselves a member of the "Big Four."  We laughed at ourselves for even thinking we were good or great.  We were destined for failure because at USF we never got challenged with success in any sport.  And we didn't know how to deal with it or with the possibility.  We turned the greatest start in football history into NOTHING.

Oh man. I had totally blocked the BIG FOUR from my memory. 

Sorry, I need to get back on that road to recovery...

Just now, zarnozdabull said:

Why did it take us so long to build a friggin IPF and stuff. Leavitt was begging for one in the mid 2000s. I remember reading that applications for USF rose like crazy with the success of football (me being an example), why didn't the university see the silver lining and spend more on what was helping the college grow in national exposure and students?

So freakin sad man.

Two people: Judy and Doug.

I don’t disregard that Judy did well in her position, but she did not care about football or Jim.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  170
  • Days Won:  0

Its crazy to think that this is the end of USF football. Which it is not. We are just setting our expectations that we deserve to be there in the big conference with a shot to compete in a bigger spotlight.  We simply are not ready.  If we cant get some of the recruits now because we dont have all of our facilities now, we cant win. If we cant consistently win now, how do we do that on a bigger stage?  We must look inward first and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing.  We need to be the best version of USF that we can be.  Then we can step back and say if that isnt good enough then it is what it is.  Everyone needs to just do their job!  The Board and President need to make fiscal decisions that make sense, they need to identify coaches that have a passion for what they do and bullieve in the potential that can wake this sleeping giant.  Coaches that just go through the motion for what the money says are not what we need.  Our students deserve to have a great on-campus life-experience, along with a gameday experience otherwise why have athletics.  The pride is missing all around.  This is part of the huge disconnect and the difference between the opportunity that UCF now has before them.  The alumni, students, city have all been fighting to build their brand to be heard.  Living in Orlando the last 20 years I have seen it first hand, even when they are losing they support.  It may not show in attendance, but they fought to grow the program, their pride, and school spirit.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Every realignment looks like it’s the last and is not. USF needs to decide if it really wants to try to compete in FBS football. If the answer is yes then it must invest in the sport, and demand performance.

Scott as a coach might not be the answer but he deserves more time to see if he can do it.

The new AAC will be weaker than it is now, so no excuse for USF to be a dominant team in it. That should be the expectation and the demand of the program .

I was a USF supporter before we had football when we were asking to start even a division 3 program, I supported it as a FCS,Independent,CUSA,Big East,AAC and won’t stop now.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cubanbull said:

USF needs to decide if it really wants to try to compete in FBS football.

When? Now?  That would be wise.  Unless the decision has already been made and it is what we see.