• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are we expected to lose any baseball players to the draft? (Current or Recruits)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

My son talked to a kid taken in the 17th round that said he was offered $125k.....  Im taking that

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 hours ago, bullsmeanbusiness said:

He wasn't even a blip on the draft radar. Might be a pick to try and get a kid to sign well below slot to save money elsewhere.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,631
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

My son talked to a kid taken in the 17th round that said he was offered $125k.....  Im taking that

With a 10%, or less, chance of making it to the majors, I'm taking the experience of being a collegiate athlete for 3 to 4 years. To me, that would be worth more than that money ....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

With a 10%, or less, chance of making it to the majors, I'm taking the experience of being a collegiate athlete for 3 to 4 years. To me, that would be worth more than that money ....

Outside of the first 10 rounds, the advice I was given as a player and I gave to my players when I was coaching was, "If you really think you've got a shot, go to college. Otherwise, take the money." The idea being that good college ball is equivalent to AA. In theory, you'd be reaching AA at about 21, same age as you'd be a college junior. So, both players being at the same developmental level at 21 years old, if you were worth a 17th round pick and $125 at 18, you should be worth more at 21 and more developed, i.e. more projectable than you were in high school. So, if you want to gamble on yourself, college nets you more money at a later date.

• Like 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,631
  • Days Won:  424

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Outside of the first 10 rounds, the advice I was given as a player and I gave to my players when I was coaching was, "If you really think you've got a shot, go to college. Otherwise, take the money." The idea being that good college ball is equivalent to AA. In theory, you'd be reaching AA at about 21, same age as you'd be a college junior. So, both players being at the same developmental level at 21 years old, if you were worth a 17th round pick and $125 at 18, you should be worth more at 21 and more developed, i.e. more projectable than you were in high school. So, if you want to gamble on yourself, college nets you more money at a later date.

Even better ..... My choice was based strictly on it being worth more, to me, than $125K to experience the life of a 4 year college athlete.

If your goal is to be a professional athlete, then the experience of being a college athlete is less of a factor.   I don't disagree with what JTrue said.    My only slight moment of pause is that I may as well get paid to develop as opposed to developing in college and risking injury.  But it definitely can pay off.   Tommy Mace was a 12th rounder out of HS in 2018 ... he went 3rd Round/69th this year.  Big jump in $$$$$ there.  This particular player is a college athlete so his decision is  simpler.  He's gone

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

He wasn't even a blip on the draft radar. Might be a pick to try and get a kid to sign well below slot to save money elsewhere.

It was interesting to listen to the analysts talking about this some during the 1st Round of the draft on Sunday night.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,129
  • Days Won:  56

Doesn’t it really come down to whether or not you have educational goals and want to be in a classroom? If not, ride the bus and play ball in empty minor league stadiums to chase your dream.

54 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

It was interesting to listen to the analysts talking about this some during the 1st Round of the draft on Sunday night.

It is such a money thing. "Let's take this guy way early and lowball the **** out of him and he'll agree because he can tell everyone he was drafted in X round, then we can spend real money on someone else."

46 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Doesn’t it really come down to whether or not you have educational goals and want to be in a classroom? If not, ride the bus and play ball in empty minor league stadiums to chase your dream.

Not at all. Tons of guys go to college to improve their draft status and think they're worth more than their high school draft position. Chris Chatfield comes to mind for us. 23rd round draft pick. I don't think he came to USF for the degree. He came thinking he'd knock the cover of the ball and get more money when he was eligible.