• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Are we expected to lose any baseball players to the draft? (Current or Recruits)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Not at all. Tons of guys go to college to improve their draft status and think they're worth more than their high school draft position. Chris Chatfield comes to mind for us. 23rd round draft pick. I don't think he came to USF for the degree. He came thinking he'd knock the cover of the ball and get more money when he was eligible.

Shane McLanahan, Carson Ragsdale, etc, etc.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,128
  • Days Won:  56

So, do we see Riley Hogan back for a fifth year? That would be a big bat to keep in the lineup.

Sure would be nice to start a year with a set lineup that includes Lane, Ruiz, Hogan, Cantu, Eaton, Brutcher, Rivera right out of the gate. 

Edited by Dave_Glaser

That dude's 24 years old and will be nearly 25 by the end of the season.  Time to move on

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

That dude's 24 years old and will be nearly 25 by the end of the season.  Time to move on

I’ll take his .290 average and a dozen dingers if I can get it. I don’t care if he’s 34.  🙂

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

30 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I’ll take his .290 average and a dozen dingers if I can get it. I don’t care if he’s 34.  🙂

I played against a guy in college who was that age. He was in the military after high school and went back to school and played baseball. He was a legit 23 year old freshman and played from 23-26. He was an absolute beast. There really is no way to put into words what a 26 year old with a metal bat can do. 

This was his senior year stat line: .482 AVG 36 HR 102 RBI in 58 games

Heard something, somewhere that 81% of players drafted this year were from the college ranks.   Looks like that number was around 65% in 2018.   With the elimination of some of those lower A ball leagues and overall expenses being what they are, MLB teams may be looking to college for player development to save resources.

Just saw we had a JuCO signee - pitcher from FSWC - who was drafted in the 11th round by the Nats. Marc Davis.

On 7/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, chapelbull said:

Heard something, somewhere that 81% of players drafted this year were from the college ranks.   Looks like that number was around 65% in 2018.   With the elimination of some of those lower A ball leagues and overall expenses being what they are, MLB teams may be looking to college for player development to save resources.

Makes sense. I've said it a few times over the years, the prevailing opinion is that good D1 baseball is about AA. Why not let someone else do the heavy lifting on 17-18 year olds and weed them out instead of paying for it? 

36 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Makes sense. I've said it a few times over the years, the prevailing opinion is that good D1 baseball is about AA. Why not let someone else do the heavy lifting on 17-18 year olds and weed them out instead of paying for it? 

Talked to a friend that is a scout last night and his exact words were "it (the draft) is so ****** up now".   Picks are fueled by economics and no longer about talent.  He said you'll see 23 year old college seniors taken in the 4th or 5th round because they will sign for 10 grand and that is what the team needs.   The economics of professional sports is just ruining the game in all ways. 

I told my son yesterday as we were coming home from practice that unless you are an absolute stud, the key is to be good, but not too good to improve your chances of playing pro ball.

• Upvote 1

Sean Hermann signed for $10k over slot.