• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you consider USF football a sleeping giant?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Doesn’t sound like something I would say, I believe they honestly believed CJL was holding them back unfortunately time has told a different story and the donors that filled their ear with those fantasies didn’t stay around much longer than the time it took to figure out they guessed wrong. Sometimes the pinnacle can look like a plateau but if you don’t figure out that you are on top it can be hard to stop your momentum downward following that one last step you felt you had to make to get on top.

The Walking Dead Sasha GIF by The Paley Center for Media

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

It’s a reference to a secret joint memo by Judy and Woolard promising to destroy USF athletics that was supposed sent to the board. I believe Harlan amended the letter to be part of their secret anti-USF cabal. Or at least that’s what PUC said

I thought it was Charlie’s contract...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I thought it was Charlie’s contract...

We need to find a lawyer that can write more than one page contracts 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

We need to find a lawyer that can write more than one page contracts 

It depends on what that one page says, if it’s simply you are an at will employee that gets paid this amount per day it could be handled in a sentence 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Doesn’t sound like something I would say, I believe they honestly believed CJL was holding them back unfortunately time has told a different story and the donors that filled their ear with those fantasies didn’t stay around much longer than the time it took to figure out they guessed wrong. Sometimes the pinnacle can look like a plateau but if you don’t figure out that you are on top it can be hard to stop your momentum downward following that one last step you felt you had to make to get on top.

Agree with most of that except for that pinnacle stuff. In this case, the pinnacle WAS a plateau and they thought that CJL was holding them back from a higher pinnacle ....... and we fell trying to jump to the mountain with that higher pinnacle.

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

It depends on what that one page says, if it’s simply you are an at will employee that gets paid this amount per day it could be handled in a sentence 

I’ve written offer letters for a bunch of companies and most spill over to a second page. A well written coaches contract has to be longer than 

“Will you be our coach?

Yes

No

💕 

By marking “yes” on this agreement you are agreeing to enter into a contractual relationship to be our coach whom we may fire with or without cause as we see fit.”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roaming Bull said:

I’ve written offer letters for a bunch of companies and most spill over to a second page. A well written coaches contract has to be longer than 

“Will you be our coach?

Yes

No

💕

By marking “yes” on this agreement you are agreeing to enter into a contractual relationship to be our coach whom we may fire with or without cause as we see fit.”

But if you could get a decent coach to sign it, which in the current market you wouldn’t, it really doesn’t need to be much more from our perspective. The biggest issue I have with coaching contracts is that they are not equitable, sans Rick Petino’s contract. Both parties are free to leave at any time for any reason but if it’s the school’s choice you owe most of your contract and if it’s the coaches decision they owe pennies on the dollar. That is complete nonsense because both decisions are being driven by performance and only one comes with a stiff penalty for reacting to the same cause.

26 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Agree with most of that except for that pinnacle stuff. In this case, the pinnacle WAS a plateau and they thought that CJL was holding them back from a higher pinnacle ....... and we fell trying to jump to the mountain with that higher pinnacle.

Until I see a higher top to this mountain I’m going to stick to my belief that it was the actual pinnacle, if we haven’t found it in over a decade and a handful of new better coaches I’m not quite sure it actually exists for us. I dream of a day of one day sniffing that plateau and it seems so far out of reach that the thought of something beyond it almost seems unfathomable.

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

But if you could get a decent coach to sign it, which in the current market you wouldn’t, it really doesn’t need to be much more from our perspective. The biggest issue I have with coaching contracts is that they are not equitable, sans Rick Petino’s contract. Both parties are free to leave at any time for any reason but if it’s the school’s choice you owe most of your contract and if it’s the coaches decision they owe pennies on the dollar. That is complete nonsense because both decisions are being driven by performance and only one comes with a stiff penalty for reacting to the same cause.

Institutions have leverage and power. Coaches have a window in which they have to operate. If contracts become too restrictive they won’t be able to seize their moment. Which is kind of weird because many times the school that hires them seems to pay the buyout anyway. For little and medium fishes, like us that’s an issue. But for the juggernauts that usually start the carousel in motion the money doesn’t matter.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

Until I see a higher top to this mountain I’m going to stick to my belief that it was the actual pinnacle, if we haven’t found it in over a decade and a handful of new better coaches I’m not quite sure it actually exists for us. I dream of a day of one day sniffing that plateau and it seems so far out of reach that the thought of something beyond it almost seems unfathomable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that plateau you're dreaming of sniffing pretty much revolves around being in a P5 conference (if it doesn't, I apologize and enlighten to what that dream does involve) so I can certainly understand why it seems almost unfathomable to you .... and only one of those new better coaches had a shot of getting there.