• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Do you consider USF football a sleeping giant?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that plateau you're dreaming of sniffing pretty much revolves around being in a P5 conference (if it doesn't, I apologize and enlighten to what that dream does involve) so I can certainly understand why it seems almost unfathomable to you .... and only one of those new better coaches had a shot of getting there.

It certainly involves beating teams I care about and I honestly can’t remember a time when that happened under CWT, I think it happened a couple of times under CCS and I’m certain that our current coach hasn’t done it because well he has beaten exactly one FCS team. Being in a P5 conference obviously gives a coach more opportunities at success but if we beat Florida or Texas win a conference and then beat a P5 team in a NY bowl I am going to be just as happy with the coach as I would be had we actually been in their conference. Beating Tulsa, Tulane, ECU and UCF just doesn’t do it for me and that doesn’t feel like the pinnacle of anything because it used to be expected. We need to not only schedule the games that get people excited but we actually need to try winning one again which we didn’t need to be BCS to do.

3 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

Institutions have leverage and power. Coaches have a window in which they have to operate. If contracts become too restrictive they won’t be able to seize their moment. Which is kind of weird because many times the school that hires them seems to pay the buyout anyway. For little and medium fishes, like us that’s an issue. But for the juggernauts that usually start the carousel in motion the money doesn’t matter.

Athletes have a much smaller window than even a coach and their contracts are not as inequitable as coaches, maybe baseball is closest. Guaranteeing large portions of the contract without any expectation of performance or having equally severe penalties for leaving is pure insanity. FSU certainly has felt the impacts of their coaching contracts and I think it’s more impactful than you expect to even money schools. It is entirely weighted to the coaches and even Clarence Thomas commented on the insanity of them as amateur status of the students is defended tooth and nail while the coaching contracts continue to balloon. 

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Days Won:  3

Unfortunately we’ve seen how far an undefeated team in our caliber of conference can go with UCF’s undefeated seasons and it’s not very high (except on their minds). 
So for now, we are a sleeping {that}. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

32 minutes ago, puc86 said:

if we beat Florida or Texas win a conference and then beat a P5 team in a NY bowl I am going to be just as happy with the coach as I would be had we actually been in their conference.

Considering that far outweighs any season that any previous coach has had here it's good to see you'd be happy ..... but I do appreciate you giving me the bar you've set. I think you have in the past but unsurprisingly I'd forgotten it.

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Considering that far outweighs any season that any previous coach has had here it's good to see you'd be happy ..... but I do appreciate you giving me the bar you've set. I think you have in the past but unsurprisingly I'd forgotten it.

I think you are kind of missing my position but it is probably because I am not conveying it quite right. I value the AAC at exactly zero so I honestly put no weight on the games, winning the conference is but a means to an end to playing and hopefully winning another valuable game. If we managed to win the aac and won zero p5 games or didn’t play in a NY6 game I wouldn’t be excited or celebrating and if I had to choose between beating Florida or Texas in a season vs winning the conference I would pick those wins every single time without question. No one discusses their big wins against AAC teams and no one remembers or cares about winning the little league championship. There was probably a sling champion among the sheep herders and it probably wasn’t David but no one gives a **** or writes stories about them however David gets got be king and live on forever because he beat Goliath and that’s actually a competitor people give a **** about.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

For 2021, I'll take beating the Gators over an AAC trinket.  But you knew where I stand.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think you are kind of missing my position but it is probably because I am not conveying it quite right. I value the AAC at exactly zero so I honestly put no weight on the games, winning the conference is but a means to an end to playing and hopefully winning another valuable game. If we managed to win the aac and won zero p5 games or didn’t play in a NY6 game I wouldn’t be excited or celebrating and if I had to choose between beating Florida or Texas in a season vs winning the conference I would pick those wins every single time without question. No one discusses their big wins against AAC teams and no one remembers or cares about winning the little league championship.

I think I get your position fine when talking about pinnacles, which is what we are. It's going to take the best year by far in the history of the program to achieve a new pinnacle for you to be happy with the coach. The fact that we have to win the AAC to get there is nothing more than a means to an end. Again correct me if I'm wrong, but just beating Florida and/or Texas wouldn't be that new pinnacle without winning a NY6 bowl ...... ?

33 minutes ago, Brad said:

For 2021, I'll take beating the Gators over an AAC trinket.  But you knew where I stand.

For 2021, I think I'm there with you ....

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I think I get your position fine when talking about pinnacles, which is what we are. It's going to take the best year by far in the history of the program to achieve a new pinnacle for you to be happy with the coach. The fact that we have to win the AAC to get there is nothing more than a means to an end. Again correct me if I'm wrong, but just beating Florida and/or Texas wouldn't be that new pinnacle without winning a NY6 bowl ...... ?

I’d be happy enough to begin discussing if we are returning back to the National stage and getting back to where we decided to nuke the program, 1000 aac wins in a row wouldn’t get me or most people to think we are in a better place than we were 12 years ago.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, Brad said:

And you know where I stand