• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cautiously enthusiastic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

The roster Frost inherited had about half a dozen guys that were NFL draft picks, and a promising young QB. I don't see either of those things on this roster.

That roster was absolute garbage...the skilled talent that played immediately were his recruits...he was able to get Milton from his Oregon/Hawaii connections...Killins was he very first commit...those players were assured they would have a shot at playing immediately which was true, because that team he inherited sucked...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

10 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I don't know why anyone wouldn't be optimistic, We made a great hire by all accounts, we haven't lost a game in 2020, and we have some good players coming back. I know that there is a chance that we aren't successful next season but is there really that much gratification about being right about that?

I’m gonna get crucified for being the grumpy Gus here...but here goes.  Just realize I’m not saying this to attack him, I really do want to be proven wrong and have my concerns disproven by you all, but here’s why I’m worried:

1) He shares a job that others usually do by themselves.  Plus he doesn’t do the play calling which is something USF desperately needs to improve upon.

2) He’s known as a great recruiter but he doesn’t have experience recruiting at the G5 level.  The Times had an article where they interviewed people who saw his recruiting in action, and one of his closing pitches was that Clemson got more players into the draft than others (at WR position).  I doubt USF has such great stats like that compared to AAC peers.  Couple that with not playing in a P5 conference and no realistic shot at a Natty and a lot of his talking points will be gone.  He will be in uncharted waters when recruits to USF.  Can he do it?

3) No head coaching experience.

4) Thus far I’ve read no articles out there explaining what he’s known for as an OC.  Sure players, fans and fellow coaches at Clemson love him...but it’s easy to be loved when the team is killing it.  I just want to know specifically what is he doing to sustain Clemson’s success as a co OC, so I can dream about *that* being implemented here.  Does he have an eye for scheming against other teams?  Did he create a new system that brought Clemson success? 

And this isn’t a knock against him... but the fact remains we had a unique opportunity to bring in some former USF faculty that would have helped close the enthusiasm gap we have.  Could have had the return of the Gulf Coast Offense, the return of the Jim or the return of a former player (Larry Scott) as the first player-coach.  Instead we’ve got a guy that will bleed Clemson colors instead of green and gold. When Jeff goes on to have greater success he won’t be giving back to USF, but had Larry Scott been given the chance to succeed and move on, where do you think he would have given back?  (Minor issue sure, but an opportunity cost in my mind no less)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,568
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

1) He shares a job that others usually do by themselves.  

image.png.75e3541a1605ddbb745586d79c73efa9.png

3 hours ago, Ghostbuster said:

Plus he doesn’t do the play calling which is something USF desperately needs to improve upon.

He's being hired as a head coach, not offensive coordinator ....