• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CFP worst nightmare will occur this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Would they really melt down? Are they really stupid enough to believe that they had the resume last year, or will have this year, to be a top 4 team? The whole Natty thing was fun and but was nonsensical and only made any sense at all because of the perfect storm way things worked out ...

They'll melt down and so will a few others.  25 wins in a row would be pretty impressive.  Those wins will include a few P5 teams and a few good G5 teams.  I don't know that they are in the top 4 teams in the FBS or not, but the idea that a team can go undefeated 2 years in a row and not have a shot at winning their division's championship because of arbitrary and subjective criteria should be looked at.  I think it will be and would fuel changes at the next turn.

Now watching them melt down will be funny as heck and it will be even better to watch us beat them on Black Friday and make all of their moaning be for not.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Would they really melt down? Are they really stupid enough to believe that they had the resume last year, or will have this year, to be a top 4 team? The whole Natty thing was fun and but was nonsensical and only made any sense at all because of the perfect storm way things worked out ...

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.

They have the shirts and license plates to prove it.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Look for a senator from a non-P5 state to take this up. Although UConn is terrible, I think Connecticut is a blue state that certainly could take this issue up. Idaho, with Boise State, could be another state that is less likely, but a possibility. Again if UCF wins out and fails to make the playoffs there is going to be significant noise that will bring about change in some form.

Good point with CT. Of course the state of Florida would not put up a collective fight for us. 

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

Can someone explain to me why a system designed to pick the 4 "best" teams of the CURRENT season would find last year's record relevant?

If UCF runs the table, they will have no ranked wins, a strength of schedule in the low 80's, and would have only played 4 road games. Their schedule was somehow tougher last season, and lets be honest their only 3 notable wins (before the bowl game) came at home vs Memphis and South Florida.

Edited by Capital H

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

8 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Can someone explain to me why a system designed to pick the 4 "best" teams of the CURRENT season would find last year's record relevant?

If UCF runs the table, they will have no ranked wins, a strength of schedule in the low 80's, and would have only played 4 road games. Their schedule was somehow tougher last season, and lets be honest their only 3 notable wins (before the bowl game) came at home vs Memphis and South Florida.

Because perception of how good your program is, is based on your history.  Just looked at VaTech being ranked

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

Memphis and Navy are having down years,  so UCF won’t be helped at all with their schedule. In fact it’s looking like WE actually have the tougher schedule for this season. No chance in hell UCF makes the playoffs even as undefeated. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, Capital H said:

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

Because perception of how good your program is, is based on your history.  Just looked at VaTech being ranked

Va Tech being ranked right now by joke polls has nothing to do with H's observation about the "system designed to pick the 4 "best" teams of the CURRENT season". That system starts weeks from now ...

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

I think this is conflating legacy with performance.

Schools like Va Tech get the benefit of the doubt because they had a decade plus run, a long time ago, versus other "storied" programs. UCF is on a hot streak versus Tulane, Tulsa, and Temple.

Unless there is a chaotic last 6-7 games UCF is actually probably in 6th place in the committees eyes? Maybe lower?

I think the bigger nightmare for the committee would be 5 teams from the P5 running the table.

Bama/Georgia

OU/WVU

tOSU

Clemson

Notre Dame

Heck, I feel pretty comfortable saying if those 7 teams finished with 1 loss they would still be above Cent. Florida. I would add if PSU runs the table, any of the Pac 12 North teams run the table, or even a Texas or Oklahoma State run the table they would leap frog the Golden Knights.

But I hope I am wrong, and they finish 4-7 :FIREdevil:

Edited by Capital H
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Va Tech being ranked right now by joke polls has nothing to do with H's observation about the "system designed to pick the 4 "best" teams of the CURRENT season". That system starts weeks from now ...

You don't think perception (brand name) has an effect on the committee?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

You don't think perception (brand name) has an effect on the committee?

Not really because they're doing the poll the way that poll should be done ..... 10 weeks into the season ... but if by perception (brand name) having an effect you mean P5 vs G5, there I'd agree.